Zaxcom Maxx Issues

Nikola M

Hello to all of you @JWSOUND

It's good to finally be here.

I have a question regarding Zaxcom Maxx recorder issue.

I've already contacted Zaxcom and Ambient regarding the issue and the good people from Ambient told me that i can send Maxx for service/repair but i should also ask the question here as the nature of issues I'm going through is really weird.  Never explained issue to Zaxcom, just asked about the possibility of service in Europe. 

I'll try to describe the issue the best i can.
The other day i ran out of batteries (hawk woods np50) during recording session.
At the moment i wasn't close to the recorder but when i came back, red battery symbol was flashing, channel selection and level values were 'jumping' from low to high randomly from 2 -3 -4 channel.
At the same time channel 1 was stuck on +17dB (checked value in setup) and only allowing value ie level to be increased. At the same time rotating knob clock wise and adding gain resulted in adding Voltage percentage on battery indicator icon.
So at some point it went from 12.5 V and 'low battery warning' to 19 or 20V icon value. All the time ch levels and led indicators were running mad. Very strange indeed.
Those are new Hawk Woods batteries, used, tried and tested. I borrowed few ext bat from a colleague  and also tried AA power option. Same thing, just numbers were different. I was in post fader mode. When in pre fade mode i can trim up and down gain altho channels are still randomly switched, and voltage indicator is running wild. I have tried to re-instal firmware few times, to reset the machine, stop button pressing when powering up..everything. No success. 
Havent tried the inputs after this episode because i didn't want to risk possible phantom issues with microphones, but in headphones when turned up, 3rd channel has noise level that is higher than noise level on 1st,2nd and 4th ch.

Any info or input on the matter would be highly appreciated.

Thank you.

Nikola

Is your software updated? If not I would update it. 

Then I would reset the Maxx to factory default and rebuild the setting (not from the card).

I would then put in a new record card - chances are that wouldn't really have too much of an effect - but you want to examine all options. 

If the above doesn't solve the problem - then you have a hardware issue and the unit will need to be sent to Zaxcom for service.

6 hours ago, Jack Norflus said:

Is your software updated? If not I would update it. 

Then I would reset the Maxx to factory default and rebuild the setting (not from the card).

I would then put in a new record card - chances are that wouldn't really have too much of an effect - but you want to examine all options. 

If the above doesn't solve the problem - then you have a hardware issue and the unit will need to be sent to Zaxcom for service.

Yes, i have tried everything except switching CF card. I'll try that today. Can you please advise, in situations like this, would it be ok to send the unit to Ambient as they are offering repair and service or should i go directly to mothership? I don't have any second thoughts about Ambient personnel determination, knowledge and professionalism, just would like  to skip the unnecessary waiting time in case they have to send it to the USA and Zaxcom. 

Thank you

On 7/19/2019 at 4:07 AM, Nikola M said:

Can you please advise, in situations like this, would it be ok to send the unit to Ambient as they are offering repair and service or should i go directly to mothership? I don't have any second thoughts about Ambient personnel determination, knowledge and professionalism, just would like  to skip the unnecessary waiting time in case they have to send it to the USA and Zaxcom. 

Ambient would be able to check look at the unit and preform some service - if its anything major they would most likely send it to Zaxcom.

The other thing is if it needs parts they may need to wait for them to arrive from Zaxcom.

10 hours ago, Jack Norflus said:

Ambient would be able to check look at the unit and preform some service - if its anything major they would most likely send it to Zaxcom.

The other thing is if it needs parts they may need to wait for them to arrive from Zaxcom.

Ok then. Thank you for quick reply Jack. 

• 1 month later...

What is the usual feedback time on your Zaxcom device service info? I have received confirmation that Maxx has arrived to Zaxcom Service Dept.  on 6th of September.

As the unit was brought to United States from Europe, and my staying time is near the end, i would appreciate any info on the matter.

Thank you

9 minutes ago, Nikola M said:

What is the usual feedback time on your Zaxcom device service info? I have received confirmation that Maxx has arrived to Zaxcom Service Dept.  on 6th of September.

As the unit was brought to United States from Europe, and my staying time is near the end, i would appreciate any info on the matter.

Thank you

The next contact is the invoice and your shipping preferences (Best by Fedex)

• 1 month later...

Got back Maxx half serviced. Service paid. Tho it is stated that all inputs are calibrated and the system went through full QC, unit still has significantly higher noise level on ch 3 input. Asked the question in fb user group, and tho i was asked what is wrong with the unit, no one from Zaxcom was interested to participate. Some nice people that are in the business of location recording were kind enough to lend an advice. Also, lots of horror stories about Zaxcom service and repair practice. In the end ive sent an Email to Patrick, the guy i was in contact during the whole service and repair procedure asking not to be refunded, or to be provided with anything free of charge. Just wanted to know if there is any spare part i could order, any advice or insight as what might be happening and what are the reasons for noise as i don't have time and resources to send the unit across the ocean again if i don't have to, and have paid the service first time.  I was told he is going to talk with the owner, and that we are going to reach some kind of solution by the end of the day. That was two weeks ago. Asked again 5 days ago, and told him i am not going to push this but i would like to have some kind of answer. Nothing. That is also an answer. Yet there is 'service and repair' option on Zaxcom site. Go figure.

So thank you Zaxcom, all good.

I can’t help with your current situation, but generally speaking I would say it’s preferable to do this via your dealer. In the case of Ambient they are also the distributor and they can do more repairs than many others can’t do, but they can’t do all repairs and they do have to wait for parts, of course. 
But in those cases, such as this, where the unit needs to go back to the mothership they are in a much better place to take care of shipping and import/export docs and they get better rates and may not pass this on to you if it’s determined to be a warranty issue. 
and lastly, if you’re not happy with the service Ambient - or a place like Ambient - is in a much stronger position to exert some pressure on Zaxcom to get this fixed. 

On 11/1/2019 at 10:08 AM, Constantin said:

I can’t help with your current situation, but generally speaking I would say it’s preferable to do this via your dealer. In the case of Ambient they are also the distributor and they can do more repairs than many others can’t do, but they can’t do all repairs and they do have to wait for parts, of course. 
But in those cases, such as this, where the unit needs to go back to the mothership they are in a much better place to take care of shipping and import/export docs and they get better rates and may not pass this on to you if it’s determined to be a warranty issue. 
and lastly, if you’re not happy with the service Ambient - or a place like Ambient - is in a much stronger position to exert some pressure on Zaxcom to get this fixed. 

I do regret i didnt send the unit to Germany/Ambient.  Choosing Zaxcom, New Jersey, i thought i was playing safe.  All my dealings with Ambient so far were top notch. I am going to service Maxx again, this time in Ambient.