DPA 2011

allistair

Has anybody used the DPA 2011 capsules for film before? Seems like it would be handy for plant mics and car mounts but I haven't any mention of it being used for stuff other than music. I'll probably see if I can get my hands on one for testing but any reason you can think of why it wouldn't be ideal? I'm invested in the 4017 and 4018 line, so it's appealing to me that it'd work with the modular preamps I already have.

https://www.dpamicrophones.com/ddicate/2011-twin-diaphragm-cardioid-microphone

2011.jpg

No idea - not me (and I'm not a PSM anyway so a doubtful commentor) but they are cheaper/budget (albeit not either ...) versions brought out of what we (high end) might use to bring a new generation in (particularly project music obviously).

Not too sure what they would bring above the similar spec lavs and small mics like the 4060 and (super) cardioid versions that came along. For film use that is.

I'm quite happy that DPA in the last decade or so have made a very serious effort to offer products to several Film/TV uses - I think they've done it very well indeed, even with discontinued stuff like the windpac which I kind of wish they might have readdressed.

It's possible the 20 series have possibilities for us but I think they were probably (well) tailored for their specific music market to bring people to the DPA sound/quality. It took DPA (a while) to take B&K away from purely omni and a long time after to look into shotguns and surround. On the other hand both companies have always been open and quick to embrace 'non-intended' use which is good. But I'd say if a budget film use mic had been intended (or considered financially viable) we'd have got it ...

Jez

Extra note Allistair -

if you are intending on extra preamps (beyond the basic two for a 4017 and 4018 combo) then I would think 'why not' ... At least have a decent listen to units from the folks who are supplying the rest of the kit. You realise you won't get hypers or shotguns but as you said you could have a cardioid plant or second boom to augment the kit.

I do have a pair of DPA 2011c.  Don't quote me on this, but I believe they use the same capsules as the 406X lavaliere microphones. Their response is not quite as flat, and they are not as quiet as the 4011's.  I was planning on using them as a small stereo pair for location work, but have not done so as of yet.  I did use them as a voice over mic, and the client was happy with the sound.  

On 7/24/2019 at 11:55 PM, allistair said:

Has anybody used the DPA 2011 capsules for film before? Seems like it would be handy for plant mics and car mounts but I haven't any mention of it being used for stuff other than music. I'll probably see if I can get my hands on one for testing but any reason you can think of why it wouldn't be ideal? I'm invested in the 4017 and 4018 line, so it's appealing to me that it'd work with the modular preamps I already have.

https://www.dpamicrophones.com/ddicate/2011-twin-diaphragm-cardioid-microphone

2011.jpg

Far from his brother 4011/4018, not bad, but IMMO expensive for the performance (A bit noisy). I have 4, usually use it with active cable for cars or plant mics, or in situations where I fear for the integrity of a 4018