Jump to content
Brian

DSQD real world reviews

Recommended Posts

Hey guys,

 

looking at this  4 channel receiver for use in cart and bag.  The price point is the same as buying 2 SRC’s but it has way more functionality than SRC’s. Anyone tested it? I would be using it with existing smv’s and smqv’s 

 

I would also loop thru antennas with existing venue on the cart.

 

thoughts?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The receiver looks fantastic but I am rather hesitant about the new digital transmitters, particularly the size.  Probably fine for doc use but I'd imagine complaints from talent, especially with tough wardrobe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, codyman said:

The receiver looks fantastic but I am rather hesitant about the new digital transmitters, particularly the size.  Probably fine for doc use but I'd imagine complaints from talent, especially with tough wardrobe.

I'm sure that technology will work it's way into the smaller TXs as well. The first wideband TX was the LT (same size as the DBu) and within a few years the smaller TXs were released. I'm sure Larry will be posting his tiny tumbleweeds in no time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, codyman said:

The receiver looks fantastic but I am rather hesitant about the new digital transmitters, particularly the size.  Probably fine for doc use but I'd imagine complaints from talent, especially with tough wardrobe.

 

10 hours ago, Shastapete said:

I'm sure that technology will work it's way into the smaller TXs as well. The first wideband TX was the LT (same size as the DBu) and within a few years the smaller TXs were released. I'm sure Larry will be posting his tiny tumbleweeds in no time.

Little tumbleweeds aside, this receiver is backwards compatible with specialty transmitters like the watertight WM, the small SSM, plugon HMa, etc.   Backwards compatibility reduces the pressure on our engineering department and your bank balance.

Best Regards,

Larry Fisher 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, LarryF said:

 

Little tumbleweeds aside, this receiver is backwards compatible with specialty transmitters like the watertight WM, the small SSM, plugon HMa, etc.   Backwards compatibility reduces the pressure on our engineering department and your bank balance.

Best Regards,

Larry Fisher 

My #1 favorite feature about it no doubt!  Definitely looking into one or two of these to consolidate from my SR's and my venerable VR Field.  Too bad I still have 4 600mhz transmitters to shed though as the clock ticks towards July 2020 😔

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/27/2019 at 11:43 AM, codyman said:

My #1 favorite feature about it no doubt!  Definitely looking into one or two of these to consolidate from my SR's and my venerable VR Field.  Too bad I still have 4 600mhz transmitters to shed though as the clock ticks towards July 2020 😔

The duplex gap will be available in perpetuity

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for all the feedback, and for such a great review.  I’ll probably pick one up. When I receive it, maybe I’ll post a review also.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/27/2019 at 6:12 AM, LarryF said:

 

Little tumbleweeds aside, this receiver is backwards compatible with specialty transmitters like the watertight WM, the small SSM, plugon HMa, etc.

I mean, I wouldn't mind an SRd-igital for slot applications like the 688/Scorpio.  That being said, I shall not be greedy as I don't want to anger the tumbleweed gods!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, codyman said:

I mean, I wouldn't mind an SRd-igital for slot applications like the 688/Scorpio.  That being said, I shall not be greedy as I don't want to anger the tumbleweed gods!

One: I'd like an SR-digital also. There's a very large Eco system out there already.

Two: The tumbleweed gods aren't angered by suggestions, are very down to earth and just roll with the winds of change.

Best Regards,

Larry Fisher

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, dsound said:

Any additional feedback with the D2, especially with using it in a bag setup. 

 

Best,

D

The location of the two BNC antenna inputs, XLR /Dante outputs, and power is less ideal for a bag workflow and will be cumbersome, A slot mount SRB,SRC,A10, etc solves all that.  And my guess is that with the digital winds of change the tumbleweeds will be bringing more to the slot mount design in the digital world such as the speculated SRD.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Michael Wynne said:

The location of the two BNC antenna inputs, XLR /Dante outputs, and power is less ideal for a bag workflow and will be cumbersome, A slot mount SRB,SRC,A10, etc solves all that.  And my guess is that with the digital winds of change the tumbleweeds will be bringing more to the slot mount design in the digital world such as the speculated SRD.

 

A10 in a bag??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Michael Wynne said:

The location of the two BNC antenna inputs, XLR /Dante outputs, and power is less ideal for a bag workflow and will be cumbersome, A slot mount SRB,SRC,A10, etc solves all that.  And my guess is that with the digital winds of change the tumbleweeds will be bringing more to the slot mount design in the digital world such as the speculated SRD.

 

I think with right angle BNCs and low profile XLRs it should be easy enough to install in a bag. Like in an Orca bag, where you can easily change the height position if equipment 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Constantin said:

 

I think with right angle BNCs and low profile XLRs it should be easy enough to install in a bag. Like in an Orca bag, where you can easily change the height position if equipment 

 

Yes, and other advantages would be that it has power distribution and RF distribution built in

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i tested the D2QD, sounds great!  it weighs about the same as two 411a's, but why in the world did lectro put the antennas on the back? by putting it on the back you just eliminated bag use and minimized it to only cart. very sad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Favio said:

i tested the D2QD, sounds great!  it weighs about the same as two 411a's, but why in the world did lectro put the antennas on the back? by putting it on the back you just eliminated bag use and minimized it to only cart. very sad.

The ergonomics of the anticipated SRD, not to mention the slot mount advantages make something like this way more ideal in a bag.  The other side of this is that antenna's on the front would have made cart use awkward as well, which is really it's intended use.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I must be the only one who thinks slot mount is a waste of time and engineering sweat. Why limit the engineers to a form factor that has no real utility for the actual purpose of the device. Yes, I get that there are all sorts of accessories and multicouplers for slot mount and people like plug-n-play but the ability to mount into a camera slot is completely  unimportant to sound mixers. I would take ANY improvement in RF performance or I/O options over slot-mount form factor. For example, I’d much rather have a tighter tracking filter than a smaller housing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Michael Wynne said:

The ergonomics of the anticipated SRD, not to mention the slot mount advantages make something like this way more ideal in a bag.  The other side of this is that antenna's on the front would have made cart use awkward as well, which is really it's intended use.

yes of course but i use Zaxcom Camera Link to feed camera hops and ifb's, the SRC/B filters don't work well with the zaxcom camera link. But, lets say the antennas on DSQD are located on the front, if your working with a cart you could just get a BNC extension with right angled and connect it to your SNA600 or shark fins, right? im just saying there is more room to configure cables with a cart then a bag. this would of been perfect for both use's if the antennas where in front.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Derek H said:

I would take ANY improvement in RF performance or I/O options over slot-mount form factor. For example, I’d much rather have a tighter tracking filter than a smaller housing. 

The tumbleweeds have ears.

LEF

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey guys,

 

Spent the last 3 days with the DSQD in the half rack configuration, 50 feet of cable to 2 Lectrosonics ALP 620's.  Very pleased for the most part, but yesterday was noticing a few things.  Could have been the Ronin head, but it seamed I was getting more quick "snap" type of hits on the Booms which are Hm and HMa.  The display for the RF showed no considerable loss in rf signal to indicate I should be potentially getting a hit.  This happened to also the day before with a Ronin head.  Day before that I had nothing to complain about, but the Ronin Head was not used.  Range was on par with WB Mid Venue, if not better at times with 50 feet of cable attached to the inputs and looping into venue.  I used the SMQD in a standalone configuration using two wireless booms, and two SMv's, set to 100mw.  One is on the 75khz deviation, and the newer set to 50khz deviation.  

 

Display could be brighter outdoors as I'm used to the Cantar X-3's very bright and Useable screen.  The battery voltage readout could be more accurate.  For example, the display on Venue would read 1.45 for the AA ALK setting where the SMQD reads 1.4.  In critical times I like the most information I can get from Battery readouts.  It also reads the voltage lower than what the venue presents. 

 

Audio quality is the same as a Venue.  I have not used the Dante in the real world but I have it connected and have tested it at home.  Just waiting for the new X3's update to give it Digital gain, and Digital limiters on all Digital inputs including the Dante.  I'm excited about the prospect of using Dante.  Setup was a breeze and went smoothly between Cantar and DSQD.  I will be spending the next week using it on some major TV productions, including the Boys, Stark Trek, and a new series called Mrs America.  All very demanding productions.

 

I hope that the "Snap" types of hits I was getting was a situational fluke, and that It can be something very reliable and robust in the field.  The venue I currently own has been excellent long term, so I hope Lectrosonics is listening to this short and preliminary review.  The hits I experienced, I have also experienced with My current Venue, so for now the revue is extremely positive.  We also know that there is more and more lower cost wireless gear being developed for camera department, and that the set has become a RF congestion at times. Lighting has become wireless now, so this further stresses our gear.  This has placed larger demands on the equipment for better range, more robust RF transmission and better reception.  

 

I'll chime in after this week, with more time with the DSQD.

 

IMG_0278.jpgIMG_0276.jpgIMG_0274.jpg58916777622__BDD97F5C-3F36-43A1-BDD9-1A9AE363AA2C.jpgIMG_0275.jpg5BBD1505-FCC7-44ED-99B7-56A72F25C111.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...