DSQD real world reviews

Brian

Hey, I saw this a while back on the Trew Audio page for the DSQD Receiver where it says:

"A kit is also available to mount antenna inputs (BNC connectors) on the front panel."

That would make this more viable for some in the bag configuration, right..?

https://www.trewaudio.com/product/lectrosonics-dsqd/ 

Brian, thanks for the feedback on your initial runs with the DSQD! The types of dropouts aren't something we're hearing about from others at this point, so we'll be curious about your experiences as you use it more. Keep an eye out for a firmware update sometime in the next week or so here: https://www.lectrosonics.com/Support/category/115-d-digital-system-firmware.html

Phil, the DSQD comes with one rack flange, D handle, and screws, where a bulkhead BNC can be mounted, and it is easy to get another one (Part # 27076) and the cap screws to go with it - two needed (part # 28885) and the "D" handle (part # 27082). Then, there is the Front Mount Antenna Kit https://www.lectrosonics.com/All-Accessories/product/fmakm2t-kit-2.html

The down side is that it does add some width to the receiver (due to the flanges) and the BNCs in the kit are not right-angle, so there is some added depth in the bag. 

Hey guys,

I have updated the firmware through wireless designer. Last night.  It’s supposed to address a bug apparently that causes the Unit to switch antennae for no particular reason.  So maybe what I was hearing was an antennae switching fault.  I am running the DSQD now with venue Wideband mid as the front End using the loop thru. So far so good as I am in a very RF demanding set with Star Trek Season 3 Tandem Unit. 

Niggles I have are the discrepancy between the battery readout.  Comparing the venue and DSQD, the differences are large.  One more decimal of readout would be nice, as I am used to the readouts on the venue.

It would also be nice to see the External voltage displayed somewhere. 

Sound Quality is excellent so far, matching the Venue.  

More to come.

Shout out to Lectrosonics Canada’s Joe Burtinski for calling down to the Mothership and talking directly with the DSQD designer.  He also notified me right away about the firmware update.

B150276C-85C1-4CC7-AC39-17A3FA16D42E.jpeg

9A5E6A31-C56C-4ED1-A7CA-6D25760ADD15.jpeg

Hi Brian,

The antenna switching and level testing occurs only during header transmission (no audio info) so you will not get the antenna low level tics as on earlier FM gear. However, you could get quick drop outs if the antenna switch was incorrectly done. This drop out would last until the next header or headers enabled a switch back to the correct phase. This unnecessary and potentially incorrect switching is what the new firmware addresses. 

Best Regards,

Larry Fisher

Hi Brian,

If this is happening in the hybrid emulation mode, everything I said about switching during headers is not applicable since there are no headers in hybrid mode. I mention this because the display picture shows NA Hybrid mode.

Best Regards,

Larry Fisher

15 hours ago, Brian said:

It is Hybrid mode yes.

In Hybrid mode you will have the same low level tics during antenna switching as in a standard Hybrid receiver such as an UM411a. In full digital mode, those antenna switches are done during the dead time of the header information so the tics are totally hidden. That header is nonexistent in Hybrid emulation mode. If you have a Hybrid receiver, set it up at the same exact audio output level (in your headphones or speakers) as the DSQD. Now evaluate the low level tics from both units. Remember, the DSQD is trying to emulate a Hybrid receiver exactly. Those tics are typically down in the noise floor if the transmitter is gained properly.

Best Regards,

Larry Fisher

Larry, they are not ticks.  They are blown out distorted audio, like snaps. The unit is still not working properly, and unfortunately it’s proven at least in my situation to be unreliable.  I’m hoping to test the demo Unit that Lectrosonics Canada has to see if I get the same results.

so far, very frustrating and disappointing.

36 minutes ago, Brian said:

Larry, they are not ticks.  They are blown out distorted audio, like snaps. The unit is still not working properly, and unfortunately it’s proven at least in my situation to be unreliable.  I’m hoping to test the demo Unit that Lectrosonics Canada has to see if I get the same results.

so far, very frustrating and disappointing.

OK. I note you previously said  "The hits I experienced, I have also experienced with My current Venue,".  That is starting to sound like something on the set hitting both systems rather than a fault in the DSQD. Substituting a different DSQD will give us more information about the source of the hits, i.e., internal or external to the DQSD.

Best Regards,

Larry Fisher

The hits are mot happening on the venue at the same time Larry. In fact I haven’t heard a noise like this from my Venue in Quite a long time.  The Venue is flawless, but the DSQD id not.  Using it as the front end, or looping the antennae threw the Venue, I get poor results. Range has not been an issue, but seems to be the antennae switching which was supposed to be addressed by the latest firmware revision. 

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update.

I received another Unit from Lectrosonics Canada and I sill have issues with the HMa and Hm's I am still getting bizzare spike type sounds from them.  Also I tried testing the antenna switching system.  I would check the antennae the DSQD was using at the time.  Then I would unplug the antenna from the back to see if it would switch to the other antenna. I would not..  This is in Switch mode.  Strange.  It would only switch to the other antenna when I pluged the BNC back in.  

If Lectrosonics could comment on this it would be great.  None of my other wireless (411, Midband venue) behaves like this. The strange thing is the SM's and SMQV's behave.  Not satisfied so far.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, nagra1 said:

Larry, I am European, when will I be able to buy

a DSQD in Europe with all local blocks up to 26!?

I sent Karl at Lectro an inquiry. You should hear something today or so. Typically we do EU testing (CE) at the same time as FCC testing but EU has more paperwork to get through.

Best Regards,

Larry Fisher

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, TimMey said:

Still hoping for a DSQD in the 600-Mhz range (Block 24-26), this would be great! 

Is this quite likely or even confirmed already?

I wish they would have made the US one 470-608, 614-616mhz like the updated PSC Six Pack does.  I have one Block 24 SRb hanging on by the seat of its pants during this whole "repack" and it's been a nice honeymoon in those 2 MHz of spectrum for two transmitters as it is a ghost town there these days.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Brian said:

Just an update.  I have installed the new firmware on Lectro site and it has not remidied the issues I still have with the HM plugon transmitters. I am corresponding with lectrosonics canada to keep looking for a solution.  

On 10/2/2019 at 8:56 AM, Brian said:

The strange thing is the SM's and SMQV's behave.

Hi Brian,

The new firmware resolved the hybrid emulation problems in general that we knew about. The fact that it made no difference for you and the fact that other model transmitters (SM) don't have the problem points to the HM as a major part of the problem. The circuity between the SM and HM is very similar which makes this a puzzler.

Best Regards,

Larry Fisher