DSQD real world reviews

Brian

On 8/30/2019 at 9:39 AM, Derek H said:

I must be the only one who thinks slot mount is a waste of time and engineering sweat. Why limit the engineers to a form factor that has no real utility for the actual purpose of the device. Yes, I get that there are all sorts of accessories and multicouplers for slot mount and people like plug-n-play but the ability to mount into a camera slot is completely  unimportant to sound mixers. I would take ANY improvement in RF performance or I/O options over slot-mount form factor. For example, I’d much rather have a tighter tracking filter than a smaller housing. 

I agree with this. The only real reason in my head for the slot design is to double a a hop on camera, but with the DCHT etc that’s less of a need. But RF performance and range are the biggest issues in my everyday work life as well. Which is why I’m considering running a DSQD 

I have a DSQD in a bag with a 633 hooked up to some SNA600s. I’m waiting for some Betso Bowties to hook up to it.

It’s been pretty good with a few things I’ve noticed.

in the summer here in Utah it gets pretty hot, just be mindful of how much sun you give it. I’ve never had it overheat, but it’s felt too hot to the touch for me sometimes.

I’ve got walkie hits before when they were keyed. Doesn’t happen often, but it’s good to be aware of how close you are to them with the DSQD.

i love the Dbu Tx paired with it, range is just as good as my SMVs and SMWBs and it sounds super clean. 

The Dbu boots up and shuts down fast too! I like that.

I don’t like to use my one DBu I own with my older Tx’s in a mix because the Dbu doesn’t have Smart NR.

It sounds weird when it’s in a Dugan mix with Tx’s with NR. I know I could turn the others NR off, but I just use the DBu for now on interviews or single talent stuff. If you gain it right, the noise floor can be very low but I still wish the Dbu could do Smart NR as well with the new digital modulation.

ive also had some bad luck with the DSQD in ratio mode a couple of times now, like a weird phasing between the blended receivers. Also a firmware version back the DSQD didn’t like it when you had two receivers in switch mode on the same channel with the SMWBs; it would make this clicking sound. The clicking went away with this last firmware update though so that’s good. 

I would buy another if I had the cash to put in my 688 bag with 3 src’s in an SL6 so I don’t have to move it between my two bigger bags ;)

also another cool thing is you can hook it up to a laptop via usb and control it with Wireless Designer. Pretty cool app.

8C62B330-BB6F-4CBD-9832-A6678888DA76.jpeg

0AB49043-7698-4410-B487-6540E50A0B0E.jpeg

59191A4B-958E-4787-A864-AD19ABAE4D8D.jpeg

C5D26A33-98F2-4396-A517-8851E247DD15.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

Well, they need to figure it out.  I’m not happy.  Many of my colleagues here in Toronto have returned Units.  I seem to be the beta tester now which is not what I signed up for.  I’m very surprised that Lectro released an incomplete product.  I will be seeking financial compensation, as I cannot use the equipment as intended.   

• 1 month later...

I feel like it’s pretty solid. I use it with Betso Bowties. I get good range. I’ve been bagging it doing a reality Tv show for a year now with it.

Few bugs in the beginning, but they seem to be ironed out. Current firmware is treating me well.

I’m sure it wouldn’t be too hard to figure out fixing rack ears to the rear as the unit is light and spacious-ish inside. Not sure if lectrosonics sells something like that.

Do you have a Sound Cart mini and want to rack it on the half rack? That would be cool. I’ve thought about that. Get like 3 DSQDs and 888 or Scorpio would be a sweet setup, especially cause it plays with wireless designer. 

I cant speak to Dante usage, I’m still on 6 series and go analog. I just turn the Dante module off to save battery life.

11 hours ago, RocketTreeAudio said:

I feel like it’s pretty solid. I use it with Betso Bowties. I get good range. I’ve been bagging it doing a reality Tv show for a year now with it.

Few bugs in the beginning, but they seem to be ironed out. Current firmware is treating me well.

I’m sure it wouldn’t be too hard to figure out fixing rack ears to the rear as the unit is light and spacious-ish inside. Not sure if lectrosonics sells something like that.

Do you have a Sound Cart mini and want to rack it on the half rack? That would be cool. I’ve thought about that. Get like 3 DSQDs and 888 or Scorpio would be a sweet setup, especially cause it plays with wireless designer. 

I cant speak to Dante usage, I’m still on 6 series and go analog. I just turn the Dante module off to save battery life.

That's exactly what I was thinking. My current cart is a rack case on wheels essentially and I'm running a Venue 2 into a 664 but I'm thinking about slimming down to a Mini Cart in which case, 3 DSQDs into an 888 would be sweet! Glad to hear the DSQD is treating you well, thanks for the info.

3 hours ago, BAB414 said:

That's exactly what I was thinking. My current cart is a rack case on wheels essentially and I'm running a Venue 2 into a 664 but I'm thinking about slimming down to a Mini Cart in which case, 3 DSQDs into an 888 would be sweet! Glad to hear the DSQD is treating you well, thanks for the info.

Hey no problem. I have a mini cart, I love it. 

4E94B411-81F8-48D3-A62F-77BD4A3F6DD4.jpeg

C7C72FA3-E076-4648-B4E7-54CBB0B7DFE6.jpeg

15 minutes ago, BAB414 said:

Yes please!

Top drawers are my Lectro Tx’s, and Betso TCX-2s. I lent an SMWB and an LR to a friend right now.

If work picks up, I’ll prob go with Lectrosonics new R1B’s and buy a couple more LRs and ditch all my Sennheiser stuff. They good thing right now though is everything I have runs on AA’s or Hi-Qs.

I have the Sony L-types for if I turn an SRC into stereo cam hop or to power a little SmallHD monitor I have on those days I’m sitting for at a cart. Which are not often, I do a lot of reality Tv.

I have different cases coming for my Lavs, smaller ones. Right now I’m in the middle of switching from Cos-11d’s to DPA 6061s. I’m a DPA fanboy for sure. I use 4017c and 4018c for booms. Wanna be able to have 6x 6061s in each drawer.

After the Lavs it’s kinda a Misc drawer, TC Cables, an HMA, straps, Velcro, condoms, memory cards, and that SmallHD monitor.

Hi-Q smart batts. I don’t miss NP-1s.

Next is the Headphones/IFB drawer.

Then my bottom drawer has my iPad, Betso Slate, rain covers and a few BNC connections.

When I’m on the cart I have Betso Sharkies and use SNA600s for transmissions from the cart. 

If I’m bagged up I’m using Betso Bowties and Whips for transmissions.

im also using Cinela Cosi’s for my booms. A purchase I wish I made when they came out. They are sooo good.

E5B8FED1-6229-4442-BDA7-41BDE8D01CC4.jpeg

7713FEB5-4D59-4690-AA0E-025F90A3F905.jpeg

FB2F0273-F9DA-4A67-8960-AEEE72D58BE5.jpeg

2835F63D-57DE-4DE5-A82B-353651179B1E.jpeg

82599A84-F121-42AE-AD33-A840D06C6876.jpeg

5F986CB1-5EEC-4D06-B2BE-5B3C38323867.jpeg

1C9088BB-AA58-4668-B959-5BF5226E47AD.jpeg

24E491F4-BC33-475E-9A2F-F8A1F4E8D0D1.jpeg

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
7 hours ago, thope said:

Any news about an smqv sized digital transmitter would also be great!

If there is one coming - and I expect there is eventually - it hasn't passed FCC testing yet.  I don't see any new Lectrosonics authorizations in the FCC ID database (https://www.fcc.gov/oet/ea/fccid) since January 2019, except for the 940MHz variants and the DPR/DPRA.

Unfortunately, unlike the FCC, the test labs don't publicly post the flora that they are testing but deep state leaks indicate a bumper crop of the seeds of Kali tragus in the New Mexico soil. With a few more months of increasing moisture plus the usual warm sunshine, the first grass green shoots will emerge. 

Best Regards,

Larry Fisher

image.png

I hope those Lectro Engineers haven't been toking on those Tumbleweeds too much!  It's kind of crazy the lengths of government bureaucracy it takes to get a product to market.  Lectro should do a behind the scenes of a product from start to market and show the lengths of engineering and testing it takes to make it happen.  I'd bet we'd all complain less about standing in line at the DMV versus what they have to deal with!

28 minutes ago, codyman said:

It's kind of crazy the lengths of government bureaucracy it takes to get a product to market.  Lectro should do a behind the scenes of a product from start to market and show the lengths of engineering and testing it takes to make it happen.

If we put it in a book, it would rival "War and Peace" in length. For Europe it would be a two volume set.

LEF

• 2 weeks later...