Wisycom Distortion Problem

Attila

Hi.
I've got my new Wisycom system. I am confused about the gain setting. Even if the bar is in the middle I've got some distortion on my VT 506, MKE2 and B6 when the voice gets louder. Before Wisycom I've used Lectrosonics without any problems even at higher gains.
Does someone have an advice or using the same mics and can recommend a gain setting?

No experience with these particular mics or Wisycom wireless systems, but have you tried lowering the rx gain to a lower or negative value and then bumping the tx gain instead? Might be a gain staging issue where the received signal is fine, but it's clipping inside the receiver due to some high gain value (+12 or even at 0).

There's a lot of different settings for mics in the Wisycom TX menu:

LEMO connector configurable on ‘mic’ display menu in 5 options:
▪ ’2 wires’: -54 dBu ÷ +26 dBu peak, no bias voltage
▪ ‘2 wires + bias’: -54 dBu ÷ + 6 dBu peak, 5.5 V on 4k7 bias supply
▪ ‘3 wires: -54 dBu ÷ +26 dBu peak
▪ ‘2 wires & phantom’: -54 dBu ÷ +26 dBu peak
▪ ‘2 wires + bias & phantom’: -54 dBu ÷ + 6 dBu peak, 5.5 V on 4k7 bias supply

23 hours ago, VAS said:

Does your microphone has been wired for Lectrosonics and need to be re-wired for Wisycom? I am not sure if Lectrosonics and Wisycom shares the same wiring scheme. Check it out.

I had my Lectro mics rewired for Lemo Wisycom.

23 hours ago, OnTheSoundSideOfLife said:

No experience with these particular mics or Wisycom wireless systems, but have you tried lowering the rx gain to a lower or negative value and then bumping the tx gain instead? Might be a gain staging issue where the received signal is fine, but it's clipping inside the receiver due to some high gain value (+12 or even at 0).

The receiver is fine. It is set to maximum +16dbu(recommended by the seller). I also tried to lower the gain, to see if my input stage distorts. Even at 00dbu the signal sounds distorted, when it gets louder.

20 hours ago, daniel said:

There's a lot of different settings for mics in the Wisycom TX menu:

LEMO connector configurable on ‘mic’ display menu in 5 options:
▪ ’2 wires’: -54 dBu ÷ +26 dBu peak, no bias voltage
▪ ‘2 wires + bias’: -54 dBu ÷ + 6 dBu peak, 5.5 V on 4k7 bias supply
▪ ‘3 wires: -54 dBu ÷ +26 dBu peak
▪ ‘2 wires & phantom’: -54 dBu ÷ +26 dBu peak
▪ ‘2 wires + bias & phantom’: -54 dBu ÷ + 6 dBu peak, 5.5 V on 4k7 bias supply

Yes, I saw this in the manual and read also that for 2 wires + bias (this is my configuration) 6dbu peak is max. But does that mean, I am not allowed to use the metering on the devices? That would be strange.....

I got a set from the rental to check if my has a problem or not. Both work the same. 

So I have to get used to the WISYCOM gain structure and I must be carefull with the metering. I think it is not accurate. When I use my ears for gainstaging everything is fine. Just visually it don´t look like I am used to metering.

The Wisycoms are quit different from Lectro and there is a learning curve to understand their system. From handling the Lectro make more sense, but I thing after a while I get used to Italian style 🙂

I have a B6 (grey band) that I rarely use, but I believe it behaves the same as you're experiencing.  My other lavs are COS-11 (3-wire) DPA 4060 (2-wire) and MKE-1 (2-wire) and they sound great all the time.

What recorder are you using? Have you tried playback to see it maybe the distortion is from another part of the chain?

On 8/5/2019 at 7:10 PM, jason porter said:

I have a B6 (grey band) that I rarely use, but I believe it behaves the same as you're experiencing.  My other lavs are COS-11 (3-wire) DPA 4060 (2-wire) and MKE-1 (2-wire) and they sound great all the time.

What recorder are you using? Have you tried playback to see it maybe the distortion is from another part of the chain?

I use the 633 and tried different things. Turned the input to mic and line, turned down the levels from the receivers. But the distortion occurs in the TX unfortunately.

Are your DPA and MKE1 2 wire or 2 wire + bias?

4 hours ago, Attila said:

I use the 633 and tried different things. Turned the input to mic and line, turned down the levels from the receivers. But the distortion occurs in the TX unfortunately.

Are your DPA and MKE1 2 wire or 2 wire + bias?

All 2 wire+bias.  Any chance you can upload a sample file?

Pardon me if I read over it, but what Wisycom system exactly are you using?

I am using MPT40 S and more recent MTP41 S for a few years and love them for their near-impossibility to distort and high dynamic range (coming from Audio Limted EN-2)..

They need a low-gain microphone.

I use DPA mics. In my case that is the SC4061-BM (low-gain model).

Perhaps you are not using low gain microphones for the Wisycoms.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/22/2019 at 9:22 PM, Attila said:

I´m using the the MCR41s and the newest linear MTP41s. My mics are standart ones which worked great and without any problems with my lectro SMAs. Those SMAs were hard to overdrive.

Sorry for my late response. If you haven't solved the problem yet I would really suggest using the low-gain microphones since the circuitry is build for that.

Since the low gain version can handle higher SPL (if I am correct) it should be actually harder to distort the signal. Theoretically you should be able to record sports car exhausts with it although I haven't tried that myself...