Audio Editing Software

KISHOR CHAUHAN

Hello Guys This is KISHOR CHAUHAN An India based Location Sound Mixer has if Now i Had Did Many Documentaries,Short Films,Ad film,Corporate and much more As a Location Sound Mixer. And  now i want to be a Part of Post Production and I dont have more Ideas abut Post Production i am beginner in post i jst need a help which Software is More Understanable,Much Easier For Beginner To do Audio Post Production.My Mac already has Pro tools i need to buy plug-in for it i.e Audio cleaning,Hum removal and other.so which is the best.

Kishor,

I applaud your courage trying something new, and wish you luck. I dropped location recording years ago, in favor of post, and it was a good move for me.

The thing is, this is a new venture for you. Before you go buying new gear, you should probably get an orientation about what modern post entails. Is there someone who can mentor you or let you apprentice while you're learning? There are a couple of good books on the subject, including mine. 

Having a ProTools rig that supports picture and lots of tracks, and knowing how to edit dialog on it is a good start. The alternative to a full PT rig seems to be Nuendo, and many posties (myself included) prefer it. There are also cheaper alternatives if you can take the time to work within their limitations. 

Buying a suite of plug-ins, however, might be a mistake. It depends on your business plan. If you're going after theatrical films or high-end TV, the most important tool -- along with your DAW -- is a room with accurate and predictable monitoring. If you don't have that, you'll more likely be just editing and not processing; quality decisions (even NR) are best left when you're got all the elements in place and are mixing in a good room.

If you're aiming lower and will be mixing what you edit, you still need good monitors. You also need a fuller understanding of the entire process, which takes you back to learning: far better to buy what you know you need based on the projects you're getting, rather than guess and buy something because some other postie uses it in their workflow.

With that warning:  I use Nuendo and the full suite of post-oriented plugins that comes with it. My favorite third-party stuff is the iZotope RX Advanced suite, some Waves' psychoacoustic stuff (mostly harmonic effects), and the ones I cobble together in platforms like the ancient 32-bit SonicBirth. Since my work includes SFX design and placement and have a big library, I've been a SoundMiner enthusiast for more than a decade... but there are alternatives now. As a Mac user, I keep TwistedWave as my quickie 2-track editor/proofer, and SoundGrinder as universal conversion tool. These are just personal opinions, off the top of my head and honed by the specific jobs I'm doing. Expect to hear other opinions. Your ultimate rig may be very different.

Give Reaper a spin! www.reaper.fm

It can do pretty much anything you want and it's free as long as your conscience allows it to be. 

The stock plugins are OK. 

I too would buy into Nuendo and izotope later on, but start off with reaper and get a feel for what it can do.

Lots of how-tos and tutorials on YouTube. 

Hi Olle-  

I know what you meant about Reaper being free, wink-wink, but it's not really free.

It is, however, impossibly cheap for what it can do.  If clients above my pay-grade didn't want Pro Tools sessions, I would be using Reaper.  I do in fact use it as the backup recorder in my "big rig" location music recording network.

Very good stuff.

D.

19 hours ago, tourtelot said:

Hi Olle-  

I know what you meant about Reaper being free, wink-wink, but it's not really free.

It is, however, impossibly cheap for what it can do.  If clients above my pay-grade didn't want Pro Tools sessions, I would be using Reaper.  I do in fact use it as the backup recorder in my "big rig" location music recording network.

Very good stuff.

D.

Oh yeah, I should’ve just written that you can trial it indefinitely. But even after like two three days you’ll have bought it cus it’s just so much bang for buck. 

19 hours ago, tourtelot said:

Hi Olle-  

Very good stuff.

D.

Oh yeah, I should’ve just written that you can trial it indefinitely. But even after like two three days you’ll have bought it cus it’s just so much bang for buck.