Crickets

JonG

• 5 weeks later...

I have to admit that anymore I don't do anything about them.  Years ago we tried yelling, whacking pieces of cribbing together, water spray etc.  Almost always a waste of time--if they are in the mood they come right back.  Short of a insecticide fogger deployment, they become an audio post issue.  Try to give them some clean cricket-tone they can patch with!

1 hour ago, Philip Perkins said:

I have to admit that anymore I don't do anything about them.  Years ago we tried yelling, whacking pieces of cribbing together, water spray etc.  Almost always a waste of time--if they are in the mood they come right back.  Short of a insecticide fogger deployment, they become an audio post issue.  Try to give them some clean cricket-tone they can patch with!

What Phil said + tighter wilds if poss

19 hours ago, jozzafunk said:

What Phil said + tighter wilds if poss

Yes!  The last time I had a similar issue, and it was cicadas and not crickets, I took wild lines and they used them.  Good idea and a great reminder.  This solution probably would have escaped me in my later years because I just was "trying as hard".

D.

I was measuring cicadas nearing 90dB with a sound metering app earlier this year - some long days - whole feature at 1 location, historic house - the constant din was draining all the crew - The script was rewritten to try deal with the noise - it’s not finished yet so not sure of outcome 

post has best cicada atmos ever Soundfield thru a Sonosax sxst8

• 1 month later...
On 9/13/2019 at 5:53 AM, tourtelot said:

Yeah, maybe.  I always said, if the camera can see 'em, they can be on the track.  Do you see any crickets? :)

D.

Probably not obvious ever! Unless they're doing some macro shots of them! ha

On 9/14/2019 at 11:40 PM, jozzafunk said:

the constant din was draining all the crew

Not crickets/cicadas, but I have been on other shoots in the past where the background noise was making it hard for the crew to communicate (or even for the actors to hear their lines to cue each other!) and I got asked "do you think this background noise will be a problem"??  I'm just dumbfounded, is the director/producer/1stAD/etc's ears painted out??? Or do they think we're magicians? 

On 10/29/2019 at 5:49 PM, IronFilm said:

Probably not obvious ever! Unless they're doing some macro shots of them! ha

Not crickets/cicadas, but I have been on other shoots in the past where the background noise was making it hard for the crew to communicate (or even for the actors to hear their lines to cue each other!) and I got asked "do you think this background noise will be a problem"??  I'm just dumbfounded, is the director/producer/1stAD/etc's ears painted out??? Or do they think we're magicians? 

Like the director saying "Lets shoot a romantic conversation scene against a fountain, cause its pretty"