Looking for advice for racing car sound

yizhye20

Greeting everyone

I recently joined a student documentary about the racing car. They want to see if I can record those the racing car exhaust pipe's crazy sound. I have been trying with my 5U, and the sound is clear but not much bass as I can feel by the side of the race track. Wonder if anyone has a suggestion about racing car location sound recording. Got a CMIT 5U, a CMC641 and a pair of KM184 (might not fit this project), and a MKH 50.  willing to see any technique or mic suggestion for this.

45 minutes ago, yizhye20 said:

Greeting everyone

I recently joined a student documentary about the racing car. They want to see if I can record those the racing car exhaust pipe's crazy sound. I have been trying with my 5U, and the sound is clear but not much bass as I can feel by the side of the race track. Wonder if anyone has a suggestion about racing car location sound recording. Got a CMIT 5U, a CMC641 and a pair of KM184 (might not fit this project), and a MKH 50.  willing to see any technique or mic suggestion for this.

https://jwsoundgroup.net/index.php?/search/&q=racing%20car%20engine%20exhaust&search_and_or=or&sortby=relevancy

I had good results with DPA 4062 with BLM6000 and Rycote overcovers. One in the top of the motor, another in a side of the motor and another in there air intake, also other microphone close to the exhaust and other on the bottom of the car. For the interior a stereo pair such as the 184 can do the job.

Be careful with the heat inside the motor compartment and exhaust 

Best

4 hours ago, Mattias Larsen said:

There are some good resources in the forum as mono points out. I have been quite happy with close miced omnis. But also had good results (surprisingly as it doesn't handle high SPL very well on paper) with my Cs3e.

Non of the mics you are listing are particularly bass heavy. I would maybe try the 50.

Thanks, I might have trouble searching. Got a link above so that I can take a deeper look. 

Recently did a shoot with a very fast German car. 

I had some good results with two lavs taped inside the motor going to a recorder inside the car. -> for general motor sound

A lav in a windcover taped outside above the exhaust (wind got the better of it as soon as the speed increased). -> but was still used by post 

Perhaps a dynamic would have been good to try hear too as mentioned above. 

But post was really happy with a few wild tracks of the car accerlerating away from me and a few drive-bys so be sure to have those too.

I used dynamics in the engine compartment and exhaust area. The Shure SM11 dynamic lav is small for tight spaces and can take high SPLs. Otherwise I've used Shure 57/58, EV 635 and Sennheiser MD421s. A lot of the low-end comes from the engine compartment. Air turbulence has to be dealt with of course.

in the studio, to record drums, i almost always use a mechanical high pass filter. something like putting the mic in a small peli case or put something on the mic itself like fabric and taping it down, to attenuate both SPL levels and high frequencies. you can mess with opening and closing the box/case/fabric/whatever to get the sound just right. i’ve used this on cars and it sounds pretty good when mixed with the typical mic setups. 

Not sure I would want to put KM184s ... LET ALONE an MKH50, a CMC641 or CMIT5U ... anywhere near a racing car exhaust - not without comprehensive insurance anyway.

An omni anyway is better (basically) for lack of proximity effect and low frequency roll off. There are other possibilities to try (look through the archives) but a DPA lav has become the de facto standard for many including myself.

Keep those three beautiful hypers for capturing clean dialogue!!

Jez