Good article on music recording... plus time travel!

Jay Rose

Today's New York Times has a nice article about early country music recording and its stars.

Also this:

The [1927 Bristol] tapes would become an inflection point in the history of what we now refer to as country music. 

...which would surely amaze the engineers trying to make magnetic recording a practical music medium before we captured the German innovation of high-frequency bias after WWII. 

5 hours ago, Jim Feeley said:

...I guess the Ken Burns PR machine is spinning up to speed!

So now I have to doubt everything I've learned about Baseball and the Civil War?

😉

--------------------------------------------------------------

Update:

About six hours after I sent correx to the Times' news desk, the article quietly changed to:

The recordings would become an inflection point in the history of what we now refer to as country music.

I have a wonderful book "A Matter of Records" on the life of Fred Gaisberg a master of location recording.

But unlike the stunning equipment that we use he recorded acoustically onto waxed zinc discs.

Apart from classical recordings there was a great love of novelties recorded in foreign countries.

He traveled to America Russia India and Europe by train and boat with very heavy equipment including

the metal discs, acid and baths to etch his results in.

The whole story is quite amazing and he lived to see electric recording and modern techniques and

he died in 1952 in his late seventies!

mike

• 2 weeks later...