'Show unread posts'

John Steigerwald

Mine works like a charm on my home iMac, but works differently on my MacBook. 

On my home computer I click on my bookmark, which takes me directly to the "Show unread posts since last visit".  It lists all the posts.  I read and/or respond to one, then click the bookmark again.  It no longer shows the one I just looked at on the list, but still shows the others.  It'll even add on to the list if someone has commented in the last few minutes.  Perfect.

On the MacBook, I have the same bookmark, which displays the list when I first click it.  But even if I only read one post and re-click the bookmark, all recent posts are gone.

Apparently doesn't work at all for these folks.

Weird.

I believe there is not just one cause for the "Show unread posts" link not working for some people. I don't know that we will ever sort this out --- it always works for some, it never works for others, works sometimes for some people, etc., etc. I am surprised that it ever works while you are still logged in since it says "Show unread posts since LAST VISIT" and if you are continuously logged in how does it know when you last visited? I guess it also relates to what it means by visit --- reading a post, composing or replying to a post ... ?  When I first go to the site, the "Show unread..." almost never works, so I look at the envelope icons in the Category list and see if things have been posted. I then either go to that category and look at recent postings or I check with the list of 16 most recent posts. After that, I may be away from the page but still logged in, click on "Show unread..." and it works! So, I don't know what to say... I think we just live with its arbitrary functioning.

Regards,  Jeff Wexler

Another little navigation tip I mentioned awhile back may have gone unnoticed by some. In the left hand margin of the "Recent Posts" list, there is an icon that looks like a page (?) and clicking on that brings up a list of not only the titles/topics of posts but the post itself. Sorted by most recent post, here you can read the latest posts (not all on one page of course) and the list shows the past 100 posts.

Regards,  Jeff Wexler

post-1-130815081335_thumb.jpg