Podcast + Field Sound Equipment list (please critique)

andrewsbaik

It depends on what sort of podcast you plan to make, how much flexibility you want to account for if plans/goals shift after a few episodes, and all that.

I suggest you spend some time on the Transom website. They've been putting out great information on the tools and craft of narrative radio for decades. Written by some really solid people who've been doing NPR-style radio (This American Life, Radiolab, Serial, etc) for even longer. Really great information and community. Would take a long time to explain all they do and share. Check it out:

Transom

A Showcase and Workshop for New Public Radio

https://transom.org

And their Tools section has some good info, including a series of articles a few years ago about gearing up for podcasting:

https://transom.org/topics/tools/

• 1 year later...

So I got a Rodecaster for some podcasts and live panels for my association and I just returned it.

At least then plugging headphones on the front jack (the small one) and setting a high gain on channel 1 (I was using a Sennheiser MD441 for testing) I had some unpleasant "helicopter" interference that went away when using a phantom powered condenser microphone on another channel, and there was some AC hum present whenever I touched the screen. That only affected channel 1, not the other three.

The microphone is fine (I use it every week at the club) and the cable is good as well, the same star quad cable I used to "test" (It wasn't any kind of formal test) the Rode NTG8 RF immunity. 

Is that to be expected?