WIRING A FOOTBALL PLAYER

RyAgs

I have a job coming up where I'll be wiring a QB during his high school football game.  Anyone have experience wiring a football player?  I know to attach the transmitter to the shoulder pads, but not sure where the best place to do so.  I'd like to use a Lectro SMQV for the extra battery life, but can also use a SMV if it's better for the smaller size.  I'd greatly appreciate anyone's experience/advice they'd be willing to share.  Thanks very much.  

I did several seasons of ESPNs Sport Science, and when we would do football episodes, it was always a tough situation. I use SMQVs as well, but I put them in a NeoPack waste band since we were using landing matts. The mic was really the hardest part because of the tugs and jerseys whisping across the pads. I landed on using a cos11 in an rm11 on the breast plates, and taping the wire down with gorilla tape so it wouldn’t get pulled upon. I think that if you can tape the tx underneath a plate somewhere that it will be well protected, but I’d advise to wrap it in a condom to avoid sweat. Know that you may be condemning your lav to death, so make sure to get a COI and be sure that your client knows that your fragile electronics might not make it through the day. 

10 hours ago, JonG said:

I did several seasons of ESPNs Sport Science, and when we would do football episodes, it was always a tough situation. I use SMQVs as well, but I put them in a NeoPack waste band since we were using landing matts. The mic was really the hardest part because of the tugs and jerseys whisping across the pads. I landed on using a cos11 in an rm11 on the breast plates, and taping the wire down with gorilla tape so it wouldn’t get pulled upon. I think that if you can tape the tx underneath a plate somewhere that it will be well protected, but I’d advise to wrap it in a condom to avoid sweat. Know that you may be condemning your lav to death, so make sure to get a COI and be sure that your client knows that your fragile electronics might not make it through the day. 

Thank you, JonG.  This is helpful to know.

Use the Neopax/other strap around the waist for sure, it lets you take the clip off of the pack to make it slimmer. Had no complaints through a month+ of shooting every day on the field with that combo, they're wearing so much other gear they don't notice.

The shoulder pads make a little pocket on the chest where you can stick the mic, it will probably be easier to set all that up before they put the pads on instead of trying to thread it through.  No matter where you put it, mid-action it's going to be pretty rustley. I would go over the shoulder with it with a good amount of tape for insurance.

If possible try and get some antennas on masts/get up high/use Zaxcom or PDRs/all of the above.  If it's in a stadium you'll be better off but if it's the the typical high school field, it's going to be so flat and empty (and full of bodies) that your RF is going to struggle. If they're expecting you to run around the field I would for sure get a PDR going just to cover yourself.