New User Manual for Zaxcom Fusion

HI ALL

I'm in the process of putting together the new Fusion 10/12 User Manual and am looking for ideas for what you, the owners/operators, would like to see in it.

For those of you who have looked at the latest Wireless UM, you know the format I will use to build the Fusion UM.

If you've discovered a workaround for a problem or a unique solution to make your job easier, with the Fusion or Deva, I would like to hear them.

Also, if there is anything you would like to see included, or excluded, tell me.

As always, If you don't want to contact me in public, the email on my account is correct.

TIA and have a GREAT DAY!!!

Ray

I think you did a heroic job on the manual for the Zaxcom Wireless gear --- I have just finished reading it, cover to cover, all 104 pages (actually, I probably didn't really read all of it). I would suggest, as Glen Trew has on r.a.m.p.s., a little better page number referencing possibly, and a good way to incorporate changes and updates. You may have already provided for that but as you probably know, features and how you get to them, change rather rapidly with Zaxcom and many users find themselves sort of in the dark as to how something is done in the latest version. On par with the difficulty of designing really great equipment is writing a really great manual --- Zaxcom has succeeded with the gear and you have succeeded as well with a really good operational manual.

-  Jeff Wexler

What Glen Trew was talking about, I believe, may be a function of the limitation of Preview vs. Adobe Reader. I use Preview (on the Mac) to view all .pdf's since I have a real dislike of Adobe Acrobat reader (long story I will discuss later). Your manual has many references, like "See IFB Earpiece Section" and these appear to be possibly clickable links --- at least they look like that, blue, underlined, etc. If they ARE hyperlinks and they would take you to that references section, they do not function that way with Preview, maybe they DO function that way with Adobe Reader. So, if the theory is correct (and I do not even have Adobe Reader on my computer now so I cannot confirm) I believe what Glen was suggesting is that a PAGE number reference should also be there next to the reference text.

I am going to look at the manual with Adobe Reader, I must have it on one of my computers, and see if this is the case.

-  Jeff Wexler

I am going to look at the manual with Adobe Reader, I must have it on one of my computers, and see if this is the case.

-  Jeff Wexler

Well, evidently they are NOT hyperlinks ... all the blue underlined text that look like links ... at least they do not function as links using current Adobe Acrobat Reader on the Mac. So, my theory was wrong and I'm not sure what Glen was talking about.

-  Jeff Wexler

Jeff

All of the Underlined, Bold & Blue Text items are in fact shortcuts (hyperlinks) to the section indicated.

The document is specifically identified as a PDF file for use with Adobe Acrobat Reader.  The results of reading it with any other reader are not guaranteed.

I added page numbers to the Configuration menus for each unit. 

I will look at placing page numbers in the other locations.

Another capability GT was looking for was the ability to go back to that hyperlink after reviewing the text pointed to by the hypertext.  I had already told GT about the View Previous button, which does exactly that.

Ray

Jeff

I work in a PC XP environment and Acrobat Reader works correctly for me.

I haven't used an Apple since the Apple II+, which I still have in storage.

So ... I don't know how Acrobat behaves under Apple.  I have heard that there are significant differences, whatever that means.

Ray

All of the Underlined, Bold & Blue Text items are in fact shortcuts (hyperlinks) to the section indicated.

The document is specifically identified as a PDF file for use with Adobe Acrobat Reader.

Ray

It looks as if Mac users (which conservatively could be 50% of the people who will be reading the manual) will not have that functionality even when using Adobe Acrobat Reader. The statement "The document is specifically identified as a PDF file for use with Adobe Acrobat Reader" may have to be changed to "The document is specifically identified as a PDF file for use with Adobe Acrobat Reader for Windows". I guess we all have Adobe to thank for that. It's not your fault but it is unfortunate since printing a 104 page manual is also not the best idea. At least with a printed manual there is no compatibility problem, and of course no hyperlinks for anybody reading the printed page on paper.

Jeff

Come on ... I said I would look at doing it!

Ray

I am just pissed at Adobe (and have been for a long time). You go to all the work to make all the hyperlinks work and then Adobe bones you with the software that doesn't really function properly when viewing their own Portable Document Format format! I am NOT blaming you at all --- you have done a terrific job with the manual and viewing it on the computer screen should work the way you intended it to.

-  Jeff Wexler

Jeff

The document is specifically identified as a PDF file for use with Adobe Acrobat Reader.  The results of reading it with any other reader are not guaranteed.

I added page numbers to the Configuration menus for each unit. 

I will look at placing page numbers in the other locations.

Another capability GT was looking for was the ability to go back to that hyperlink after reviewing the text pointed to by the hypertext.  I had already told GT about the View Previous button, which does exactly that.

Ray

Yes, this "jump back" function is very good when using Adobe Acrobat, but does not work with Mac Preview (and of course, doesn't work with printed pages). That's why I'm suggesting page number references. I can imagine that one problem with including page number references is that page numbers can change with text revisions, but since most users will be using the manual in printed form, page number references would be a big help.

Again, very good work on a tough job, Ray.

GT

Hi Ray,

I'm excited about the new manual (and my soon-to-arrive Fusion 12)!  One thing I will say is that I haven't looked at the original manual since my initial read-through when I bought my Fusion over a year ago.  I attribute this to the Fusion (like the Deva) being so intuitive to operate that one relies less on the manual than with other machines.  Other than the manual loading nicely and having full functionality on the Mac with both Preview and Acrobat, here are some things I'd like to see...

Every button push and what it does, using the Fusion's labels instead of F keys.  Also which ones must be entered sequentially (like tone) and which simultaneously (all the rest, I think).

Every 1967 menu.  I know there is a menu touch there to reboot the Fusion without using the power switch, but I can't remember it.  It's always annoying to find out a functionality that one could have been enjoying if you only knew about it.  A quick use guide with every shortcut.

Examples of template settings for all the different EQs and what might be some good settings to start with for various uses a production sound mixer working on location is likely to encounter.

Examples of limiter settings and pros and cons of them.  Did you know the SD 442 limiter is 1 ms attack, 200 ms release and 20:1 ratio?  Ain't nothin' gettin' past that!!

All I can think of at this late hour. 

Thanks,

Paul

Thanks for the opportunity for suggestions -

I'd like to see some more information about the MARF file system, and interaction with FAT32.

Zaxcom seems to use the terms folder and partition (manual P26 & P44) interchangeably whereas in the Windows/DOS world they are different things.

A MARF formatted compact flash has a FAT32 wrapper and is completely full of 1GB Zax files but a MARF folder/partition can contain up to 4GB or is it unlimited now with firmware updates as the manual says? (P44)

Files can be extracted from a MARF disk in Windows using Zaxconvert

A compact flash formatted as FAT32 by Windows cannot be used in the FAT32 slot until it has been formatted as FAT32 by the Fusion?

References to key F5 should be called 'Trim' etc.

Back arrow held down and Aux3 brings up False Start menu

Save settings Menu/1967/Trim/5

Import settings Menu/1967/Trim/4

that's all I can think of for now.

Mick

certainly downloading and viewing manuals is a 'green' alternative to printed manuals, but I think the biggest advantage is that you always get the very latest info when you download the manual from the manufacturers' web sites.

as for: " Examples of template settings for all the different EQs and what might be some good settings to start with for various uses a production sound mixer working on location is likely to encounter.

Examples of limiter settings and pros and cons of them.  Did you know the SD 442 limiter is 1 ms attack, 200 ms release and 20:1 ratio?  Ain't nothin' gettin' past that!! "

these would seem to involve general technical discussions, rather than equipment manual operating instructions.  not that it isn't a great idea to have some of this stuff, it is also highly subjective as to template settings, beyond the defaults, and probably a lower priority...

and, alas, we live in a "quick start guide" era!!

• 1 month later...

Hi ALL

The Manual is still a work in progress.  I have been collecting info, testing the Fusion and writing up everything I find (Good, Bad and Indifferent).

Be aware, I have not previously operated a Fusion, so I am experimenting with it to find out all of the details that a user would discover in the first year of use, but compressed down to three months or so.

Currently, I am finishing the largest chapter.  It describes ALL of the capabilities and limitations about every single page and includes screenshots.  As I go, I am writing up anything I see that is wrong with the software.  Once the chapter is completed, I'll be turning in a copy to Howy & Glenn for review and discussion about what I've found.

I'm also planning the Quickstart chapter.  The intent is to touch on every menu page in some form or fashion.  If you have something you want to see there, let me know.  Keep in mind, all explanations will be in the BIG chapter.  Only those necessary to the details of the Quickstart will be included.

Once I have the user manual finished, there will be a period of review by everyone at Zaxcom, resulting in “Tuning”.  The result of this is it probably will be another three – four months before it is published to the website.  Once we've reached that milestone, it should only take a week or so to get major updates out, minor updates in less than a day.

It may seem like I'm taking a lot of time to get one user manual done.  I'm currently working on several:

â€¢  Miniature Recorders User Manual – currently under review

â€¢  Control Surfaces User Manual – currently getting the finishing touches

â€¢  Fusion 10/12  User Manual – you know this already

Once those are done, I should be able to use the Fusion UM as a seed to create the DEVA UM, significantly speeding-up the process.

Have a GREAT DAY!!!

Ray