Adding a volume knob (potentiometer) to Sennheiser G3 SK100

Elusive Sounds

Regarding adding a pot to a Sennheiser G3 EK100. I stumbled on an article about someone who added a volume pot on a G3 EK100 receiver for use as IFB receiver. Apparently the SK100 boards are very similar to the EK300 IEM boards.

Now I can't find this post or article anywhere.

Does anyone have a link or info on this mod?

Thanks!

Please keep in mind that the bodypack receiver is designed to be a mic level device.

You can get it a little north of mic level but not enough (IMHO) to drive headphones to any useful level.

In theory you would have to amplify the signal somehow, but that's way outside the scope of my knowledge and messing about with SMD boards is not without risk.

Hope that's relevant.

There is no SK100 receiver  The EK100 is the portable receiver. Even with an hardware volume pot, the EK100 would not make a very good IFB receiver. Output is low.. at the max AF setting, it can only output a -10dB level line., which is somewhat anemic for low ohm HPs. The 3.5mm jack will only output sound to the left channel on standard stereo HPs as well.
FWIW, the 100 series G2, 3, 4 Tx and Rx:

EM 100 base station receiver
EK 100 portable receiver
----------------------------------------------
SK   100 Body pack transmitter
SKP 100  plug on transmitter (XLR)
SKM 100 H/H  mic/transmitter

Thank you both for the feedback. 

Seekai, depending on the complexity of the amplifier stage, it could be as simple as swapping out a few resistors or an op-amp to raise the gain of the amplifier at the output. 

Rick, you are correct, I was referring to the EK100 and I edited the OP.  As for the output stage only outputting to left channel, I have considered that, and there could be a few solutions to this if a mod was to be attempted. 

Hard to say without having the PCB schematics of the EK100 and EK300 to compare. That's why I'm so keen on finding info on how this mod was attempted. 

If anyone has access to those schematics that would be awesome too!

I already own 3x Sennheiser sets and want to maximize their use after upgrading my talent wireless to Lectro. Yes, I could just buy new IEMs, but this is a DIY discussion in a DIY forum. I am looking for specific information about a mod that someone had already done, and I enjoy tinkering. 

• 1 month later...

You know, I wouldn’t be too surprised to find out that the boards of an ek100 and ek300 IEM are actually identical other than the potentiometer. That and different software. From a production standpoint the cost savings of having just a single production line run probably trumps the cost of a few extra components in each board. 

Just a theory but that’s what we’re talking about here right?