fusion scene/take/note

Tony Johnson

Hi Guys ,

Just awaiting the delivery of my fusion . How well does the note writing and storing work in the real world and is it ok as a log? I see you can only write up to 16 characters but there are several "note boxes" . Also is this all stored in the metadata section of the BWF? . Has anyone seen what it looks like like when opened on the avid or protools . I am wondering if i could use it instead of a more comprehensive log program i currently use .

Many thanks

Tony

I'm not sure what you mean by "log program" that you use. The Deva and Deva Fusion Scene/Take/Notes is quite comprehensive and data is all stored in metadata with the .bwf file. There are pre-set Notes in a list but I do not know how many characters per note are supported. Someone else will have to chime in here as to how easily ANY of this metadata is "seen" by the Avid or ProTools (and this is true for metadata on any of the recorders).

The Deva can generate its own Sound Report which will display all of this Scene/Take/Notes, TC and other metadata, and of course Wave Agent also generates and displays a good Report from this metadata. Most of us, even the ones who have really gotten into electronic sound reports, still do a written sound report.

Regards,  Jeff Wexler

Hi Jeff ,

The log program i use was one made for me on file maker pro , which is brilliant but i want to reduce weight off my cart (see and like your new cart jeff and concur with the smaller lighter etc )and ditch mini mac etc . I was hoping to use the fusion log but would need more than just metadata info , things like what is on each track and notes pertaining to each take etc . I no longer write written logs as the FMP has replaced all that .

thanks

Tony

As Jeff, said in his post, many of us still like to rely on hand written sound reports. A written log allows you to quickly see what take is up, wether you printed it or not, the segment number etc. etc.

You can check all your metadata entries on the Deva as well, providing that you entered it correctly, but it takes time to do so. I often find myself correcting my metadata, with the correct slate or take number. You also can not see what your Deva created sound report will look like until mirrored to your media and then viewed on a computer.

A process I don't find beneficial to me at all when working on a set.

Good luck and regards,

RL