Any Drummers out there

old school

Hang drum is an awesome instrument. I have a hang drum app, of course not nearly as cool as the instrument itself but still, gives you that little tingle.

Every hang drum is manufactured by hand in Switzerland and costs a fortune. Still the only people I ever saw playing them are these people with dreads that seem to have spent all their hard earned cash on this drum.... Awesome vid Jim! Thanks for sharing.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hang drum is an awesome instrument. I have a hang drum app, of course not nearly as cool as the instrument itself but still, gives you that little tingle.

Every hang drum is manufactured by hand in Switzerland and costs a fortune. Still the only people I ever saw playing them are these people with dreads that seem to have spent all their hard earned cash on this drum.... Awesome vid Jim! Thanks for sharing.

I've wanted one of these for some time now -- yeah, really expensive! I've heard the "waiting list" is long as well. Such an amazing sound though... someday, right? If I could just stop buying sound gear!

~tt

Just in case anyone's interested in gongs I recently did a piece on the guy that owns/runs this business

http://www.gongs-unlimited.com/

'cause that's what he sells. He's a super-nice guy and used to be a staff writer for South Park (as well as other shows) before he decided to get out of the "rat race" and settle in a university town in the mid-west. He's got lot's of gongs (and singing bowls!) from cheap to expensive in stock and ships them out all over the world. It was a fascinating two days of recording.

I have no financial interest here but figured that anyone interested in drumming might someday have the jones for a 48 inch gong...

I also think as a Mixer, handling multiple sources being mixed to one Comp track is very similar to handling as a Drummer, multiple ostinatos on different limbs, all coming together to make one killer rhythm over which the other musicians "paint".

There's this huge multitasking thing you're doing, all the while trying to incorporate it into this other even bigger thing.

As well as any other instrument player, because it's mostly about memory. I've heard that anybody that studies foreign languages can easily learn music notes, which has something to do with remembering small things.

As well as any other instrument player, because it's mostly about memory. I've heard that anybody that studies foreign languages can easily learn music notes, which has something to do with remembering small things.

So true... I didn't mean to make it sound like this was something unique to drummers. Perhaps it just amplified by the fact that with trap kit you're working with 4 limbs instead of 2. Yeah, the correlations between music and language (music being a universal language) are abundant. In both cases, reading and writing greatly increase ones enjoyment and ability to communicate. Go figure : )

~tt

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Drummer here as well.  Went to Berklee for performance and production/engineering.  Played for years in different fusion and rock bands including doing some stuff with Wayne Krantz and bassist Will Lee and a lot of other very hip players.  Always had a studio and started doing post which led to what I do now.  

DUMS! (as I call them) Been playing for about 9 years, been in a couple bands. Punk, heavy metal and rock. Got to play more since moving out to California (didn't do it as much in Chicago for some reason. It's a part of me just like sound is. Some of my favorite drummers growing up were including Lars Ulrich, John and Bonham. Of course when I really recall wanting to play was when I was watching Ringo Starr in "Help!".  But now the real reason I wanted to contribute to this post....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e89gWQ6FGZI

TC, are you obsessed with me? Maybe I just read your post wrong. I should have nothing to do with you playing or enjoying the drums. Also, "the base got deeper"? Not sure WTF that means. Anyway.... Looks like a nice set you own. What make? Looks like DW's.

Since you asked, I don't play to music. Never have really. Maybe I'll give it a try someday. I usually just play for 15 to 30 minutes and I'm happy. When my oldest son is around we will jam together which is the most fun. I'd say most of the time I come up with a beat to fit a song I'm working on and then record it into ProTools and then cut and paste it into a performance to hang the rest of the song on. That is my hobby these days. 

Just some friendly advise, don't worry about CrewC and just drum and have fun.

CrewC

• 3 weeks later...

Thought I'd join in on the drum circle. I've got a birch Pacific 4 piece kit that has treated me well. Sadly it lives at my mom's house now as it's not feasible to have in my apartment, although I've been considering getting a cheap electronic kit to keep up my chops.

Combining sound and drumming, here's a commercial I worked on in college. Not only was I in front of the camera, I also ran playback and recorded sound (but none of the dialogue made the edit.)