Newbie gear question, zoom F4

Yosuke

Hi guys I’ve been sound recording for about 2 years. I do mostly corporate and interviews

I have ave very basic kit, 633, 1x sony wireless and 416. I rent anything else I need. It does most of the things I need. 

But it lately I’ve been thinking about selling 633 and buying zoom F4. With the extra money I will be able to afford sanken cos 11s and maybe one more wireless kit. Potentially tentacle boxes too. 

What do you guys think of this? Will I regret letting go 633? How good is zoom f4? 

I have a 633 for my bag and then an F4 as a backup recorder in one of my pelican cases.  Let's just say, I hope I NEVER encounter a day where my 633 craps out on set and I have to reach for the F4.  Yeah it would get the job done in an emergency but its UI is clunky and I never would want to have to use one day to day.

Any time you sell something you'd take a hit to its value as you're selling it secondhand vs what you got it for new. Probably wouldn't recommend it. 

However a 633 does hold its value very very well, you might be able to sell it for not much less than you paid for it. 

Certainly if you've been able to work for two years with only a 633 plus a single Sony wireless and a 416 then my gut guess is you're definitely not doing the kind of jobs where it matters at all as to if you own a 633 or a F4. 

I don't think your question is that unreasonable at all to consider. 

But probably I'd in the end suggest to just stick with what you have, work harder, be very frugal, save up money, get a second side job if you have to, and buy with your savings everything else you need. (which is a LOT! At least a couple more extra wireless, a couple of TC boxes, a mic for indoors, some spares/backups, etc etc)

@IronFilm   

Thank you for the advice! 

I have done small commercials and TV shows but definitely I have felt like I was still under-skilled and under-equipped.  

Yeah it's going to be a lot of money... time to go back to cleaning toilets and save up some money! 

@codyman @afewmoreyears  Thank you guys I decided to keep the 633 and save it..

@Yosuke if you are in a position where you need to sell gear and buy inferior gear in order to buy more cheap gear, your business model sounds off. I suggest that you should get in touch with other mixers in your area, and talk about rates and business practices. Nobody likes a new guy who is undercutting, even if they don’t mean to be. In our industry, anybody charging less than the others is hurting everybody and the business, and it will only go downhill, because you will never be able to get your clients to pay you more. To them, you are the cheap guy, eating the cost of doing business for them, and taking away from the income of other mixers by setting standards back to years ago. Please reach out to others and have that dialogue. It will help your career and the industry as a whole.