The new MixPre II are here

Display Name

It now comes with a Lego wheel attached to the headphone encoder straight out of the box!

Jokes aside, I played around with the menu in Kortwich and it seems as you can select either 24 or 32 bit, not both at the same time which could have been useful (and is something f6 promised to do, but maybe it is harder to implement with analogue limiters).

20190904_161803.jpg

20190904_161753.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Has there been any talk of de-crippling the previous M models? I have never understood why a musician wouldn't want to be able to route signals or possible not use an overdub file structure. Timecode was always enough of a distinguisher on those product lines. Hoping a firmware update would allow "advanced menus"

Having just watched seconds before the F6 video you also shared @chrismedr I noticed there is still one benefit that the Zoom F6 has: it can record 32bit at the same time as writing a 24bit file as well!

I know the MixPre series has been having a lot of problems with SD card speeds, but if they found a way to write both 32bit and 24bit files simultaneously to a single SD card then I could imagine this being a handy feature for them as well! At the end of day you would have the freedom to choose the 24bit or 32bit folder, depending on which is more appropriate for that day. 

35 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

Having just watched seconds before the F6 video you also shared @chrismedr I noticed there is still one benefit that the Zoom F6 has: it can record 32bit at the same time as writing a 24bit file as well!

I know the MixPre series has been having a lot of problems with SD card speeds, but if they found a way to write both 32bit and 24bit files simultaneously to a single SD card then I could imagine this being a handy feature for them as well! At the end of day you would have the freedom to choose the 24bit or 32bit folder, depending on which is more appropriate for that day. 

Yes the dual bit-recording feature is really nice.

I'm really hoping that Sound Devices can manage to solve the memory buffer errors.

If Zoom can manage this - Sound Devices should do to.

I guess it would be mainly useful if the client requests 24bit files to fit their workflow and we record 32bit files as a backup at the same time to cover our asses if we mess up the levels.

Of course one could simply record the 32bit files and convert them in post, but that's sometimes harder to communicate.

chris

PS: I find the card problems a bit embarrassing, blackmagic managed 5 years ago to record a stream of fragmented single files with 65MB/sec (60fps DNG RAW) on a tiny sub 1000USD camera, yet in 2019 we still struggle to record 8 tracks of 48/24 to a single file (that's like 9MB/sec). 

1 hour ago, chriskellett said:

In what senecio would this be needed?  I have yet to run across anyone ever asking for dual bit rate recordings of the same thing. 

I was imagining you would hand over the 24bit recordings each day (while they remain the normal standard which is expected) and you archive for yourself the 32bit folder for yourself, which is there for an emergency if something got accidentally screwed up with the 24bits. (or you might just go straight to the 32bit folder at the end of the day if you know there have been a few rough scenes that day which left the 24bit versions beaten up)

58 minutes ago, chrismedr said:

PS: I find the card problems a bit embarrassing, blackmagic managed 5 years ago to record a stream of fragmented single files with 65MB/sec (60fps DNG RAW) on a tiny sub 1000USD camera, yet in 2019 we still struggle to record 8 tracks of 48/24 to a single file (that's like 9MB/sec). 

110% agreed! 

Although I remember I had to be very specific about which SD cards I could use with my BMPCC (but these were third party ones, and common public knowledge known by everyone: the Extreme Pro cards!).  However, if I was recording ProRes (which is still many times higher data requirements than audio recording needs!) I could use all sorts of cards, heaps and heaps of cards from many different brands could work just fine in ProRes.

59 minutes ago, chrismedr said:

I guess it would be mainly useful if the client requests 24bit files to fit their workflow and we record 32bit files as a backup at the same time to cover our asses if we mess up the levels.

Yes, that is what I was thinking. 

32bits for ourselves, 24bits for handing over initially. 

Although one day 32bits will become the normal standard (because why not? Only an upside to it, and the extra data costs are almost trivial). 

So it is good to think to the future with the recorders we buy, however I expect the day "32bit becomes standard" is further off than the lifespan of most of these recorders. But for the next generation after of these recorders? Yes, I reckon it is will have become a worthwhile consideration to have! (and by a generation or two after them then it might have finally become "essential").

On 9/13/2019 at 10:10 AM, mikebarber said:

has anyone had a chance to use the new mkII in the field? the 32-bit floating point is intriguing. it's got me just about ready to drop my credit card down on the counter for one 😆

I've used mine on location on a few shoots now since getting it and compared to my Zoom H6, just... wow. 32-bit float is a total game changer for me (mostly corporate 1-man-band RED shooter). I'm not a dedicated soundie (but I've been lurking on these forums and learning over the last several years) so take my feedback with a grain of salt but yeah, being able to set levels to peak at -20 then lifting them in post and still getting incredibly clean audio... let's just say I haven't been this excited about a piece of filmmaking equipment since getting my Epic-W. This might actually be more exciting to be honest. 

That being said, I'm sure I'd get similar results with the non-ii but having that extra cushion from all that dynamic range makes the audio acquisition portion of my shoots much less worrisome. 

hZs7E6q.jpg

6 hours ago, Ryan Sauvé said:

let's just say I haven't been this excited about a piece of filmmaking equipment since getting my Epic-W. This might actually be more exciting to be honest. 

If Sound gear gets you this excited then perhaps it is time to change departments and do sound full time 😉

10 hours ago, chrismedr said:

8 tracks of 48/24 is 9Mbit/s and not 9MB/s but I guess you meant that. And to SDs defence the mixpre 6 first gen managed that bitrate. 
But it do not manage 8 tracks at 192/24 which equals 37Mbit/s. 

Anyway. I feel a bit curious and intrigued about the 32-bit float due to its forgiving qualities. 

Has anybody had luck getting stereo out (timecode) to work with nanolockits? Mixpreii 3.  I have tried everything and can't get the nanolock to read the time code.  Want to use the mixpre as the master but have been doing the reverse for now.

Not sure if it is a nanolockit issue or some weird setting i am missing on the mix 3.  Any help would be appriactd thank you!

Cheers,

Patrick

On 9/19/2019 at 6:11 AM, IronFilm said:

Although one day 32bits will become the normal standard (because why not? Only an upside to it, and the extra data costs are almost trivial). 

That would be a great thing, once Avid Media Composer can handle it!!

My Protools can do 32 bit float, but I get my ISOs directly through an AAF from MC.

On 9/21/2019 at 6:24 PM, patricklcf said:

Has anybody had luck getting stereo out (timecode) to work with nanolockits? Mixpreii 3.  I have tried everything and can't get the nanolock to read the time code.  Want to use the mixpre as the master but have been doing the reverse for now.

Not sure if it is a nanolockit issue or some weird setting i am missing on the mix 3.  Any help would be appriactd thank you!

Cheers,

Patrick

To be able to set the  STEREO OUT MODE you need to be in Advanced under System / Mode

Then choose LTC or Audio.