Netbooks and Metacorder?

Just caught this, which was announced in the past week or so:

https://www.appleopenusa.com/Articles.asp?ID=140

This is obviously a Dell Mini netbook, modified to run Mac OSX. But I gotta wonder if it just might work with Metacorder. The thought of a 2-pound 10" laptop running a multi-track recorder is very tempting.

One drawback is that the Metacorder screen is fixed up to a certain dimension, so it can't be shrunk smaller than about 12" or so. Still, this could be incredibly useful -- provided it's reliable.

And let's see how long Apple waits before crushing these guys with a sledgehammer (sadly)...

--Marc W.

• 6 months later...

Like you saw the boottime is a faster but as he argued in the video, the overall performance would be better from the MacBook Air. Audio recorders overall don't seem to very memory intensive. I believe the minimum requirements for Logic is a 1.25 Ghz core solo and 1 GB of RAM. Boom Recorder would have less hardware need as I understand it, especially doing 1 track. There are typically three main hardware requirements that limit certain software:

1) Processor-Many high end pro software requires at least 2 cores.

2) RAM-2 GB is pretty much bottom of the barrel for new computers these days but can perform a lot o tasks.

3) Graphics-Integrated graphics is a huge issue with software in our industry. Some, purely for their interfaces would have trouble on the Intel GMA 950 graphics that sits on a netbook.

For the purposes of recording with either Metacorder or Boom Recorder I think the netbook would probably work. However, I'm not 100% on something like the spectrum analyzer window on boom recorder. It's a not a terribly complex interface but it's still a moving rendered image that changes in real time with the sound. Viewing the analyzer might prove useless. Also I don't think you can run to many channels recording with an ATOM.

I'd say, if you're keeping the recording simple (2 channels max), then you should be fine. If you like to run multiple channels and want a lot of windows open then I'd upgrade. It is neat to have a device the size of a field recorder that's running Mac OSX on it!