OR-444 ORCA 3S (SPINAL SUPPORT SYSTEM) SOUND HARNESS

Attila

ORCA Bags now has the OR-444 ORCA 3S (SPINAL SUPPORT SYSTEM) SOUND HARNESS.

Until now, there was only one similiar concept by K-Tek the KSHRN3.

I am looking forward for a new harness that helps my back and shoulders.

I really like the concept of being modular and using just parts of the harness for quick situations.

Does someone already tried or is using it? Maybe compared to the K-Tek?

I briefly tried the Orca at NAB and own the K-Tek. The Orca was maybe a tiny bit more supportive than the K-Tek but it's tough to say for sure. They're both great in that department. The K-Tek wins hands down in my book for usability though, because the Orca sticks out from your back at the bottom, which would make it really impractical to sit down in and especially difficult to get in and out of cars with it on.

On 9/11/2019 at 4:40 AM, allistair said:

I briefly tried the Orca at NAB and own the K-Tek. The Orca was maybe a tiny bit more supportive than the K-Tek but it's tough to say for sure. They're both great in that department. The K-Tek wins hands down in my book for usability though, because the Orca sticks out from your back at the bottom, which would make it really impractical to sit down in and especially difficult to get in and out of cars with it on.

That´s a good point. When I have my harness on, I don´t want to take it down when not nescessary.

• 2 weeks later...

Same. I’ve been using the $100 Petrol harness that came out in about 2012, but it hasn’t been working so well for me as of late. So I got the k-tek without trying it, just trusting that the brand was good, and discovered that it takes a long time to take on and off. 

When I work jobs that require a harness I want to be able to get in and out quick. Or at least be able to get the bag on and off quick. I don’t feel like that’s really possible with this one. 

I’d love to hear some real world comparisons between the two from some people that have really battle tested both. 

2 minutes ago, JonG said:

got the k-tek without trying it, just trusting that the brand was good, and discovered that it takes a long time to take on and off. 

Agreed - the Stingray harness does take longer than I would ideally like. For run&gun stuff, this results in me keeping the bag on, rather than taking it off / putting it on - and instead find somewhere to sit whenever possible. Unless I know I'll be standing down for at least 10 min or so.

BUT... once it's on, I feel that it really works for me - certainly better than anything I have tried.

I have not tried the Orca, but just looking at it, I agree with what allistair said above. I definitely do not want anything sticking out the back..

@Jim Rillie thanks for the tip. It’s a lot better for sure. I wish that they had included some quick release clips underneath like my Petrol has. It makes detaching the bag a lot easier when you don’t want to take off the whole thing, just the bag. I’m still figuring out how everything works on this, there’s a lot of things hanging off of it and it’s really a lot less I titube than I had imagined. But once it’s on it definitely takes the load off so to speak. 

• 2 weeks later...

I have the KSHRN3, not a huge fan, (see my posting on the For Sale section). I had a chance to try one on in the shop.  I had drop by to share my Cantar Mini bag with the staff.  I only had it on for a few minutes: fit better on me than the K-Tek (I have a long torso), the straps were easier to attach and adjust.  The metal spine does stick out and I could see myself backing into something or catching it on an unseen object behind me.  Definitely tough to sit in.  The adjustable feature is nice, perhaps better if you didn't have the adjustment module hanging about.  I think if it was built in and had a knob to turn, less stuff and a bit lower price?

I believe I will wait for version two!!

On 9/26/2019 at 8:53 PM, JonG said:

Same. I’ve been using the $100 Petrol harness that came out in about 2012, but it hasn’t been working so well for me as of late. So I got the k-tek without trying it, just trusting that the brand was good, and discovered that it takes a long time to take on and off. 

When I work jobs that require a harness I want to be able to get in and out quick. Or at least be able to get the bag on and off quick. I don’t feel like that’s really possible with this one. 

I’d love to hear some real world comparisons between the two from some people that have really battle tested both. 

I never trust any brands. 

The first orca harness is fine for light bags and it is light and breathable. 
for heavy bags nothing even gets close for me then the  VersaFlex even without the bottom part. 
i suspect those rigid harnesses do more damage then help. 
minimizing what we put on our bellies is a lot more important then the type of harness.