Timecode boxes: opinions wanted

KenLac

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/8/2019 at 12:50 PM, Dalton Patterson said:

One post by@KenLac and everyone jumps in the pool. I wonder if he’s a secret marketer. This tread Turned out to be a sales persons dream. 

Sometimes I *wish* I were a marketer or a product rep -- my legs wouldn't hurt nearly as much!

Thanks everyone for the input! Great opinions, and aren't we lucky to have so many options?

Based on general feedback, I went with the JB-1s, as it sounded like the best fit for my situation, and based on the first shoot I *adore* them.

* Much smaller than I imagined

* I really like having a display for confidence

* I *really really* like not needing any kind of app or external device to configure.

As a test I have left the pair I bought running for four straight days now -- they have drifted no more than perhaps half a frame from each other, and the battery indicator hasn't dropped even a pixel yet!

I do realize that for more complicated productions and workflows the other options have some significan advantages, but the JB-1s seem to be exactly the right combination of, small, simple and bullet-proof for the kinds of situations I find myself in day-to-day.

Again, thanks much for the help!

Ambient ACL 204 in combination with the Ambient lock-it slate (when needed) have been working well for me for a number of years.

Wireless syncing, replaceable AA batteries, displays on side of box for easy trouble shooting TC issues, and solid as can be. 

Very minor issue is the pouch on the lockit boxes can get a little flimsy over time. Can always use them with out the pouch. 

No complaints.

On 9/22/2019 at 2:21 AM, Eric said:

Ambient ACL 204 [...] have been working well for me for a number of years.[...]No complaints.

Thanks! Now, since the OP has happily settled on the JB-1 I feel I may throw this in as no-plug info: ACL204 has been discontinued and replaced with the ACN-CL Lockit which brings everything known such as

On 9/22/2019 at 2:21 AM, Eric said:

Wireless syncing, replaceable AA batteries NP-50, displays on side of box for easy trouble shooting TC issues, and solid as can be. 

in a form factor comparable to the  JB-1.

I recently bought an Ambient ML and 2 x Nanolockit package that includes s bunch of cables. 

LOVE IT! 

The ML is awesome and with my

ambient slate that I already had, it’s so easy to sync wirelessly. 

The cam assists didnt didn’t need to bother me with jamming either. Just turn on the ML and his ACL204 are done. 

Outstanding products from Ambient. 

Thanks 

I picked up 12 x USO this spring and I have been using all of them daily on a reality show which is well over 90% exteriors. We shoot in all-weather conditions, high humidity and we are nearing day 100 of production. Three boxes feeding TC and Word Clock to 688s, eight feeding TC and Genlock to cameras, and one unit stays in the prep trailer as the master clock. I’ve got no complaints. Genlock is back!

4 hours ago, Klaus said:

[...] the ACN-CL Lockit which brings everything known such as

in a form factor comparable to the  JB-1.

Ambient makes great products and I'll likely pick up some in the future, but according to specs the ACN-CL is 2.3x the volume of the JB-1, 1.4x as heavy and nearly twice as expensive in the US.

Of course it also has more features and might be the more suitable choice for some, but saying the form factor is comparable is simply miss leading IMO.

chris

11 hours ago, DanStewart said:

I picked up 12 x USO this spring and I have been using all of them daily on a reality show which is well over 90% exteriors. We shoot in all-weather conditions, high humidity and we are nearing day 100 of production. Three boxes feeding TC and Word Clock to 688s, eight feeding TC and Genlock to cameras, and one unit stays in the prep trailer as the master clock. I’ve got no complaints. Genlock is back!

That is great to hear! Do you do anything to help weather proof the Ultrasync ONEs? Or just bare naked as they are is good enough?

• 3 weeks later...