Zaxcom Maxx timecode won't work??

IronFilm

Thoughts on what is going on here with the Zaxcom Maxx's timecode? I can't seem to get it in sync with a TC box. I've tried both a Tentacle and an Ultrasync ONE, and different cables. So I doubt they're the problem, and it must be the Maxx instead. I've tried different FPS settings, I've rebooted the Maxx. And yes, I know I need to set the TC BNC connector on the Maxx to either input or output as appropriate (I've tried both to have the Maxx jam to an external source. And also tried the Maxx as the master to jam a TC box to it). I've tried both free run and continous external. I feel like I've tried every possible combo or work around possible!

And yet Maxx is never seeing the external source, and an external TC box is never picking up anything from the Maxx either!

Usually "READER TC" is showing up stuck at "00:00:00:00", but a couple of times it as shown up with a time (like in this picture, when it is a couple of minutes and a few seconds. The other time it was six minutes and a handful of seconds). However each time it was stuck at that one time (not changing by even a frame), and wouldn't change. I've no idea why this happened each time, and have had no luck in trying to repeat this random non-zero stationary time to appear again. For now, it seems to be entirely "random". 

IMG_20190907_005956.jpg

Good call by Bob, I think. I've only used a Maxx twice (it belonged to someone else), but I have a copy of the Maxx manual. It says:

"Please note that Maxx contains a battery backed real-time clock. This clock is used to maintain running time code and internal calendar. It is advised to change the battery every 2 to 3 years. The battery is a CR2320 3V coin cell battery."

Also, it's 11am at Zaxcom HQ. If they don't reply here (or if they haven't already contacted you), drop them a line. The couple of times I've had to call (long ago while using their wireless), they were helpful --and patient 😉-- on the phone. The patience part was key because I was freaking out; they got me squared away. I bet they'll do the same for you.

8 hours ago, Bob Schuck said:

It's OK! Kinda...

As if I push in hard on the timecode input then everything works fine. Which is a sufficient work around for my needs, as I only need to use the TC I/O for a few seconds at a time while connected to a Timecode Box.

But still, that is a concern, as if I did need the timecode connected for extended durations.... I couldn't.

Never came across this issue with these BNC cables with any other male BNC connector before. 

• 3 years later...
On 9/7/2019 at 1:19 AM, IronFilm said:

It's OK! Kinda...

As if I push in hard on the timecode input then everything works fine. Which is a sufficient work around for my needs, as I only need to use the TC I/O for a few seconds at a time while connected to a Timecode Box.

But still, that is a concern, as if I did need the timecode connected for extended durations.... I couldn't.

Never came across this issue with these BNC cables with any other male BNC connector before. 

I know this so well! My Maxx started acting so when it was couple of months old. I also need to push the whole connector in , and sometimes it's really annoying.

After I've sent it to mothership in 2020 the BNC worked fine for about 6 months, and then started failing again.