Boom Stands

I was trying to purchase the Trew Audio, Boom stand - but they have discontinued it due to manufacturing cost increases. Although I like the original version made by Randy Johnson, $400+ is a little more than I want to pay.

Does anyone know of an alternative brand or someone else that is making them?

I know I can build one myself, but do not have the time or inclination.

Thanks,

RL

I was trying to purchase the Trew Audio, Boom stand - but they have discontinued it due to manufacturing cost increases. Although I like the original version made by Randy Johnson, $400+ is a little more than I want to pay.

Does anyone know of an alternative brand or someone else that is making them?

I know I can build one myself, but do not have the time or inclination.

Thanks,

RL

We do not have a shipping product yet, but Don Coufal and I have been working on designing and building a Boom Cart: this will serve the function of a boom stand, like the traditional Randy Johnson and Trew Audio stands, but will provide more features while keeping the same general size, weight and footprint of the others. The design is such that the boom cart can be first and foremost a secure place to rest the fishpole but still offering a good place to sit (all the other boom stands out there lose the seat when the fishpole is stowed). It will also provide a mast or riser to accommodate antennas or an umbrella. This same mast can be used to support a fishpole for extended ENG interview situations and so forth.

We have a lot planned for this but it is still in the prototype phase.

I will keep everyone posted on this as the product develops.

Regards,  Jeff Wexler

The material that was used for the Remote Audio boom stands was good in that it was impervious to any element found in nature and would not scratch floors, but it quadrupled in price, knocking it out of the market. The stands were originally made with wood before switching to the synthetic, which was much cheaper at the time.

The plan is to start making the boom stands again, but with finished plywood tops and bases, which should keep the price reasonable and actually make the stand a little lighter weight.

Richard, I'm thinking about 4 weeks, if you can wait that long.

Glen Trew

I have had a "Randy Johnson" model boom stand and have since he 1st made them. Mine has held up very well over many years now. I have seen variations on the theme, but I like his the best. Now what Jeff n Don are talking about seems like another thing all together. I can't wait to see it.

CrewC

I have a boom stand position in the back of my elderly sound cart.

Otherwise I carry umberella stands that are meant for picknicks.

A steel rod with a small hoop at the top you can stick in grass or sand on-set.

Simple but cheap

Mike

I put this together in 2004 . Its held up really well, its light weight, folds up and is easy to store in a truck or trailer. The seat is

cushioned with automotive upholstery foam and has a sewn naugahyde cover. Although a few people have expressed interest in

it, many people have not taken notice of it, so I am not sure if building more of them would be wise. I would welcome any input

or thoughts about this design and would they want one if it were available.

Thanks. 

post-272-130815081344_thumb.jpg

post-272-130815081348_thumb.jpg

The seat is cushioned with automotive upholstery foam and has a sewn naugahyde cover. Although a few people have expressed interest in it, many people have not taken notice of it, so I am not sure if building more of them would be wise. I would welcome any input or thoughts about this design and would they want one if it were available.

Thanks.   

What Kevin has posted here shows clearly the problem with all the seats on these boom stands --- when you want to use the seat the most, the fishpole is usually using the "seat" already since that's where IT rests. The Boom assistant that Don and I have been designing keeps the seat functional and rests and supports the fishpole.

-  Jeff Wexler

<<In regards to the "discontinued" Trew Audio and Remote Audio stuff - I remember the Antennae Bar was supposedly being redesigned as well.>>

Oh Glen, me too, if you remember. I went through a lot of work to get my antennas in place - would have rather had your un-redesigned bar. :)

-vin

What Kevin has posted here shows clearly the problem with all the seats on these boom stands --- when you want to use the seat the most, the fishpole is usually using the "seat" already since that's where IT rests. The Boom assistant that Don and I have been designing keeps the seat functional and rests and supports the fishpole.

-  Jeff Wexler

Yeah, I have to admit it would be nice be able to sit next to your fishpole. You and don have given me an idea, by reminding

me of this "sit-uation". I am working on it.

Mike: your kind of funny, and I don't mean ha ha :-)

Kevin

I made one of these a few years ago.  The original had a nice pad on the seat, with Sharman Sound embroidered by my wife.  That one was left on a cargo ship bound for Korea, so I made others.  Some friends have also duplicated the design.  Requires under $40 and no modification to the ladder.

These are able to accommodate a "utility" belt.  You can sit next to the pole, but it's more like propping yourself, because there's not much room.  They are VERY stable in wind with a zeppelin, but are also very light and easy to carry around.  It's also a useful step for short guys like me.

The only problem?  "Hey, can I borrow your 2-step real quick??"

Robert

post-485-13081508136_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hey All,

I am trying to build a boom stand similar Remote Audio's and Tom Soda's. I was curious if anyone had dimensions for this kind of stand. I feel this "simple looking" build is reliant on some key factors that allow it to not topple over. Mainly, I am interested in the diameters of the top and bottom rings, and the diameter/height of the core (PVC?) pipe. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

- D

Mainly, I am interested in the diameters of the top and bottom rings, and the diameter/height of the core (PVC?) pipe.

I just measured my Remote Audio Boom stand: floor to top surface is 24", top circle is 11" diameter, hole (ABS tube) is approx. 4" ID, base circle is 18". The material used to create the circle surfaces is about 1 1/2" thick.

-  Jeff Wexler

I have seen aluminum stands similar to Tom Soda's that were fabricated by guys in the metal shop on some bigger shows. The dimensions  of the top and bottom plates are roughly 12"x12" with a 36" tall 4" aluminum tube between the two and also some hooks on the side for cables and a foot rest with a padded cushion on the top. The weight of the aluminum made it fairly stable, though not too heavy to lug around on set.

Doesn't take up too much real estate, easy to carry and find a place for it in the truck. I'm looking into having one made for myself.

My Boom Stand looks like Tom Soda's but its not wooden .

The top and base are made of a very tough synthetic composite material that is virtually indestructible, weather-proof, and safe for delicate floors such as polished hardwood or tile.

The base is secured with invisible threaded inserts, leaving no metal exposed to scratch floors.

The base diameter is 18”

It is a stable platform for most boom pole rigs, even when full extended. It has a hook for hanging cable.

It was made by Trew Audio. Im pretty sure its discontinued.

Here is a pic

http://www.trewaudio.com/mixerjune04/ground%20adapter.htm

MTM

Matt,

Yes, Trew Audio has discontinued this product as Glen explained in an earlier post. (http://jwsound.net/SMF/index.php?topic=4182.msg30105#msg30105)

They will now be making the top and bottom out of plywood.

The synthetic material's costs fluctuated in sync with the rise and or fall of the cost of oil.

RL

oh sorry I forgot, thats already been mentioned. Duh

Glen said going from the early model to the last manufactured model "quadrupled in price".

It would be nice to make an improvement of the last made model without the increase in price

I always wanted to have a boom stand. so I bought mine used for $100

but I always wanted to make my own.

oh sorry I forgot, thats already been mentioned. Duh

Glen said going from the early model to the last manufactured model "quadrupled in price".

It would be nice to make an improvement of the last made model without the increase in price

I always wanted to have a boom stand. so I bought mine used for $100

but I always wanted to make my own.

I just saw a prototype of the new material and finish (top secret for now), which cause a minor stir at the shop. The price should not have to go up at all, and it is about 25% lighter weight.

It's closer than I thought.

gt