Ammira Audio Board Fried by an ERX-2?

Was it working on set? A month later is a bit suspect, imagine calling up a producer and saying a transmitter broke a month ago on set and they need to replace it – unless there was an on set incident report or at least a conversation/email that something happened that claim would be denied immediately.

Sounds a bit suspect. The only incident I have ever heard of was when a colleague cooked the audio board on an Alexa by inadvertently sending P48 voltage into the headphone jack. He was using one of his Mixer inputs as a return feed from the Alexa and and didn't check that P48 was switched off first.

He says the audio stopped working the day I had the ERX plugged into it, and he sent it in a month later. So, I need to contact Arri I suppose to find out what they said. I would just love to hear a scenario where the ERX could fry a camera.

The ERX doesn't even send +48V. And honestly, an ENG camera shouldn't get fried over that.

10 hours ago, Brian Liston said:

He says the audio stopped working the day I had the ERX plugged into it, and he sent it in a month later. So, I need to contact Arri I suppose to find out what they said. I would just love to hear a scenario where the ERX could fry a camera.

The ERX doesn't even send +48V. And honestly, an ENG camera shouldn't get fried over that.

I've used ERXs on Amira's and Alexas with no problem.  As you say, what could it do to a camera anyway?  It was a two day shoot.  Did you look to see if the scratch audio from the ERX was recorded properly on the camera either of the two days?  If it was fried from the time you plugged in the ERX there would be no audio on those files.  I'm sure you sent tone and set levels on the camera at the beginning too.  The issue would have shown up then as well.  So he had no shoots that needed audio for a month?  Sounds suspicious to me.

I had a lovely conversation with the tech at Arri  who worked on the camera. He agrees that there is not enough current from an audio device that could do any damage. The fault occurred from a short between the PSC port on the front, and the EXT port in the back. Neither port even has the type of connector that we ever use in the audio world. So yeah, zero percent chance. I think this guy was just looking to place the blame elsewhere. Of course I had the tech write up a note, and it was sent to the producer. 

Case closed.