New SD 833

henrimic

Seems like a nice evolution of the 633.  The "8 Tracks" via two on the return 1/4" in though is kind of a bummer.  I guess though it is nice to have the option if you're like me and 6 tracks on my 633 is fine 95%+ of the time except that once or twice a year I wish I had a couple more?

24 minutes ago, Constantin said:

Wow, that is very impressive! So many new products in such short succession, that’s incredible. The place must be brimming with energy! Or exhaustion 

I think Sound Devices has this year decisively answered all those who complained "what about the pros" with the Scorpio and now 833

If anything perhaps the MixPre series has given Sound Devices the extra revenue / resources to expand and bring out *more* products for us. 

I wish I knew more about these mic pres versus the Kashmir pres.  I could find out on a trial basis.  There seems to be little information on the difference.  And I suppose there may be other elements that could affect the overall sound quality.  Also, apparently not internal 32bit processing on this or the scorpio.  Please correct me if I am wrong.

Congrats Sound Devices!

1 hour ago, codyman said:

On an interesting note, seems the Mackie MCU Pro controller is now supported which is super convenient for me in that I already have one for my Pro Tools rig!  It's a 7.5v (3-4amp) mixing desk though so I wonder how one could give it proper voltage from a lithium source.

Handily I already own the Behringer X Touch which is one of the ones officially supported by Sound Devices! 

1 hour ago, nathanalef said:

Love the internal SSD recording, EQ, and two separate auto mix groups!

Ohhhh... two separate automixers could be handy 

And the internal SSD will be great for peace of mind 

30 minutes ago, daniel said:

. SMA  antenna port?

According to the manual, the SMA connector: "Connects to included external antenna for Bluetooth LE."

It's kind of interesting to have an antenna for Bluetooth, which is kind of designed for short range applications to begin with, but this may improve the usable range. Bluetooth LE (Low Energy) is the low power version of Bluetooth.

10 hours ago, AB said:

I wish I knew more about these mic pres versus the Kashmir pres.  I could find out on a trial basis.  There seems to be little information on the difference.  And I suppose there may be other elements that could affect the overall sound quality.  Also, apparently not internal 32bit processing on this or the scorpio.  Please correct me if I am wrong.

Congrats Sound Devices!

If they are the same as Scorpio they sound great AB.  Sound Devices themselves said the Scorpio’s pre amps are the best sounding in their 20 yeAr history.

8 hours ago, davedv said:

According to the manual, the SMA connector: "Connects to included external antenna for Bluetooth LE."

It's kind of interesting to have an antenna for Bluetooth, which is kind of designed for short range applications to begin with, but this may improve the usable range. Bluetooth LE (Low Energy) is the low power version of Bluetooth.

No risk of bouncing the RF around inside of the metal chassi and getting the signal further out from a crowded bag with many other RF receivers/emitters.

Anyone use the Scorpio for recording orchestra or concert choir?  I am currently using Prism Maselec Pres and Hilo conversion.  How does the Scorpio compare?  I have injured my back and need to switch to lighter rig so I'm searching for alternatives.  Thanks, Robfh

On 9/11/2019 at 1:33 PM, daniel said:

lol, my 633 is sitting next to me looking glum.

-:)  mine too

Strong bit of kit for sure, fantastic they put in 6 preamps so no need to carry along another preamp for all sorts of scenarios, especially music & ambience w/two stereo pairs, DMS, Ambisonics, 5.1... scanned the manual and at least so far don't think there's more than a 2 channel linking option for stereo/MS but hopefully a software upgrade can ( and will..!)  remedy that soon enough. And new to me certainly - SD now moving to Smart batteries... but strangely still building around the Sonys. I'd happily switch over completely but no love in lugging 2 different battery systems / chargers around the world. 

XL-SmartBattery_1__.jpg