New SD 833

henrimic

Well being that I use a 633 as a bag unit, and have a separate machine for my cart, no Dante doesn’t really bother me. It does tick everything on my wishlist except one: aes. I’d like to see this on every input like the 788. I like the headphone options/talkback. I don’t understand the ta4 power inout decision. Yes it’s rated for higher power, but being that almost everyone will be using this in a bag on a BDS, I don’t see any source power providing higher power in the first place. My BDS are all Hirose, and any other BDS will have locking screw type connectors.  So how does this connector affect the average user other than having to get new cables made?

Yes if it were on my cart I’d be feeding it from an XLR4, but this is specifically a bag mixer. 

11 hours ago, JonG said:

Well being that I use a 633 as a bag unit, and have a separate machine for my cart, no Dante doesn’t really bother me. It does tick everything on my wishlist except one: aes. I’d like to see this on every input like the 788. I like the headphone options/talkback. I don’t understand the ta4 power inout decision. Yes it’s rated for higher power, but being that almost everyone will be using this in a bag on a BDS, I don’t see any source power providing higher power in the first place. My BDS are all Hirose, and any other BDS will have locking screw type connectors.  So how does this connector affect the average user other than having to get new cables made?

Yes if it were on my cart I’d be feeding it from an XLR4, but this is specifically a bag mixer. 

You can read (above) that I agree with you about AES - but for me, if it had included Dante it would just about be justifiable not to have included AES. SD now own a digital wireless company producing fantastic kit with a choice of digital outs (AES / Dante). They drop a brand new machine on the market a year after the acquisition but it can only make use of some of the digital functionality :( So you say a bag mixer only - but why then the fader board option? Obviously it's not going to be many peoples first choice for a cart recorder but if you were running a Scorpio on a cart and wanted a back-up machine (and 2 scorpios aren't an option) would you rather a 688 with different fader board options or 833 compatible with the fader board, same mic pres etc etc?

This will probably be my next recorder even if it doesn't have enough AES I/Ps (or send audio to computer or tablet via USB).

Does this recorder have the spec to control wireless in an SL6. If not perhaps an SL6ii / SL4 (if such a thing were created) would have an ios / android app for control.

regards.

ps would have been very nice if a pair of mix busses could be re-assigned as a 'Send and Return' for a Cedar box (Scorpio probably has enough I/Ps to do this without much sacrifice) - but not a deal breaker either.

On 9/12/2019 at 3:15 AM, Paul Isaacs said:

They are the same as Scorpio preamps, yes.

Thanks for keeping in touch with us, Paul.  Congrats to Sound Devices.  I suspect a couple more products may be in the works - perhaps with two of the "scorpio" preamps.

Paul, can we get an official answer as to whether future updates/support for the 6 series is over? Some colleagues and I have had ongoing bugs with our 664/668s as well as some simple suggestions to streamline certain things like file naming and we've yet to hear any answers.

And can you comment on whether the scorpio or 833 will eventually be able to interface with the CL-12? That would be a huge plus for me.

Thanks,

Ben

1 hour ago, BAB414 said:

And can you comment on whether the scorpio or 833 will eventually be able to interface with the CL-12? That would be a huge plus for me.

Ben, I'm guessing Paul's still in Amsterdam. I'll leave the 6-series firmware question to him or someone from SD. But about the CL-12, there's this in the 833 FAQ:

----

Can I use my CL-1, CL-2, CL-6, CL-8, CL-9, or CL-12 with the 833?

The 833 is built with an entirely new architecture which does not support these products.

----

Rest of the FAQ:

https://www.sounddevices.com/833-faq/

2 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Wish IPS would allow you to embed videos.... anyway, they interviewed Sound Devices  

I tried to embed some of Simon Bishop's great videos but you are right, they cannot be embedded.

This link is a general link to the site where all the videos can be viewed:  LINK to IPS Vimeo Site

5 hours ago, codyman said:

Interesting tidbit about the magnetic secret connector port on the top of it.  I'm going to assume this all but confirms some sort of SL (maybe SL-4?) type add on in the future?

I'm 110% certain it is!

The only question is:
1) how long until it arrives?
2) what is the cost?
3) what is its features?

An "SL4" will be a good response by Sound Devices to Zaxcom Nova's internal receivers. Won't be as neat and nifty as having them internal, but an "SL4" would have the benefit of greater flexibility/upgradability (as you'll be able to use them with a wide range of receivers, from many brands). A trade off I'd happily take over the Nova. 

4 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

An "SL4" will be a good response by Sound Devices to Zaxcom Nova's internal receivers. Won't be as neat and nifty as having them internal, but an "SL4" would have the benefit of greater flexibility/upgradability (as you'll be able to use them with a wide range of receivers, from many brands). A trade off I'd happily take over the Nova. 

Yeah especially considering I already use an SRb and SRc in my daily bag anyways it would make it a no brainer to go the 833 w/ SL4 route.  And then if I'm on my cart, hopefully the SL4 has loop thru antenna connectors and I can hook it up to my Venue for a couple more channels + a control surface.

I'm assuming that on the channels 7/8 on the 1/4" "return" line, if you have a control surface that's compatible and has 8 fader banks, you could control the gain and faders with that easily rather than the menu hunting for gain etc on the unit itself?

35 minutes ago, codyman said:

I'm assuming that on the channels 7/8 on the 1/4" "return" line, if you have a control surface that's compatible and has 8 fader banks, you could control the gain and faders with that easily rather than the menu hunting for gain etc on the unit itself?

Yup, with an Icon M+ it would be as easy to control 7/8 on the "Scorpio Mini" as it is with the full size Scorpio. 
However with the bare naked 833 it would take a little bit of menu diving to tweak 7/8 on the fly. 

38 minutes ago, codyman said:

It's a bummer they didn't ditch the 1/8" and just stick two more TA3's

Or even just a 1/4" instead! Or at least a locking 3.5mm! Ah well

39 minutes ago, codyman said:

but then again, a time traveling sound mixer from even just ten years ago would smack me across the face for not realizing how amazing this recorder is for the price point!

Not even 10yrs, half that time!

Menus look much better than 633, especially through the PFL toggle. Limiters on all I/Ps (even the minijack)! Battery release (with change of direction), and 1/4" screw fixing points  (if only SD would make a retrofit bottom plate for 633 to do this) also useful improvements . 

Can a fader be assigned to more than 1 I/P, eg for use stereo, ambisonic or a group?

Can it be used as a computer interface?

5 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Scorpio:
Idle Current Draw: 875 mA @ 12 V (10.5 W)

833:
Idle Current Draw: 1A @ 12V (12W)

Why does the 833 consume more power??

It doesn't. This is an error in the specs. We'll fix it soon.

17 hours ago, daniel said:

Can a fader be assigned to more than 1 I/P, eg for use stereo, ambisonic or a group?

yes

15 minutes ago, faskatt said:

I wish there was more aes inputs. More preamps is good, but most RX have digital output these days

They really don't seem to care about AES. It's been brought up to them so many times and they don't implement them more. They are banking on Dante, which works great for a cart but for a bag AES is a no brainer.