New SD 833

henrimic

My guess is that there will be a SL4. Would be nice if it‘d be possible to cascade it to have full control over 8 rx in the 833. 

Would be great if the bluetooth of the 833 could communicate with Audio Ltd. A10 Transmitters. I know the TXs built in Bluetooth in the transmitter of the a10 system is too weak to change settings while it is on the talent but it would be great to do a freqscan with the 833 at the beginning of the day, the frequencies getting coordinated automatically and the new freq beeing updated on the a10 txs. As tentacle sync showed us that jamming over bluetooth is technically possible too, maybe Sound Devices will

manage to do so with the A10 System. 

My thoughts on how the system could evolve.

52 minutes ago, Trey LaCroix said:

They really don't seem to care about AES. It's been brought up to them so many times and they don't implement them more. They are banking on Dante, which works great for a cart but for a bag AES is a no brainer.

Possibly a silly question for @Paul Isaacs or anyone who may know: can the 833's single AES input on XLR 1 record 2 separate AES channels from a dual receiver? Or can you can only achieve 2 AES channels through a single XLR cable when using AES out? My vague understanding of AES is that sometimes you can input or output 2 channels via a single XLR. Is this correct? 

2 hours ago, Trey LaCroix said:

They are banking on Dante, which works great for a cart but for a bag AES is a no brainer.

Is it really? If you have a corresponding device, i.e. wireless receiver, with Dante, or a small rack with Dante, similar to but smaller than the A10 rack, this would make for a lot less clutter (and weight) in your bag, plus control is much easier than with AES via Dante. 

So I don’t think Dante is the no brainer for the bag. It just needs a bit of a push by a recorder company, and possibly a wireless mic company, too...

28 minutes ago, Constantin said:

Is it really? If you have a corresponding device, i.e. wireless receiver, with Dante, or a small rack with Dante, similar to but smaller than the A10 rack, this would make for a lot less clutter (and weight) in your bag, plus control is much easier than with AES via Dante. 

So I don’t think Dante is the no brainer for the bag. It just needs a bit of a push by a recorder company, and possibly a wireless mic company, too...

The Lectro DSQD 4 channel receiver is Dante as standard.

Best Regards,

Larry Fisher

3 hours ago, yophoto91 said:

My vague understanding of AES is that sometimes you can input or output 2 channels via a single XLR. Is this correct? 

Yes, that's correct AES (or technically AES3) carries two audio channels over a single XLR cable. So this would apply to both AES inputs or AES outputs.

13 hours ago, Trey LaCroix said:

They really don't seem to care about AES. It's been brought up to them so many times and they don't implement them more. They are banking on Dante, which works great for a cart but for a bag AES is a no brainer.

I agree with you but if they are banking on Dante it should be on 833 (especially as there is only 1 AES!).

I wonder if they'll be another bigger recorder in the 8 series soon - 1 with Dante and/or more than 1 AES. At the moment the Nova looks like the neatest bag only rig (especially if you're running internal RX or AES O/P wireless). 833 perhaps better if you need Dugan and a good value control surface (and not ready for the full Zax eco system). 

A question to Paul Isaacs.

on SD’s website, one can read this: Battery charging can draw over 3 A alone, and 4-pin Hirose connectors are only rated for 2 A. The TA4 connector provides up to 5 A per pin and allows for the use of smart batteries.

Should We then replace our power distribution that is entirely on Hirose ? Or simply stay on Hirose and remove the Sony batteries ? Or is there a menu to switch off the battery charger ?

Thanks in advance for your time to answer our questions on the forum. This is very valuable.

Henri

My wish would be like this: 

Sl 4 (2 versions) with or without Dante I/O's (wich would connect through the Sl 4 to the 833). Also with this, it should be possible to upgrade the amount of recording tracks (controlled via ext. controller)

One machine for all production needs!

like the sonosax stuff where you can stack things together to upgrade?

We will see...

55 minutes ago, Nicolas said:

My wish would be like this: 

Sl 4 (2 versions) with or without Dante I/O's (wich would connect through the Sl 4 to the 833). Also with this, it should be possible to upgrade the amount of recording tracks (controlled via ext. controller)

833 does have the same number of FPGAs as Scorpio, thus theoretically I'd assume the 833 should be just as capable of recording 36 tracks as Scorpio is. 

55 minutes ago, Nicolas said:

like the sonosax stuff where you can stack things together to upgrade?

That would be awesome!

Sonosax SX-R4+ is currently king of the small field recorders in terms of having the highest track count: 16 tracks. 

Zaxcom Nova has more too than the 833

While "only" (can't complain, that is still two more than the 633) being able to record 8 channels on the 833 isn't a hardline dealbreaker for me, if the mythical "SL4" allowed the 833 to increase its track count by 4 then an "SL4" would be an automatic buy for me! As getting four wireless in via the "SL4" plus all the normal 8 inputs left free and available to use would cover a very wide range of work for me. 

What do you think @Paul Isaacs? 😉

30 minutes ago, r.paterson said:

Isnt tracks 7 and 8 on the 833 record only as its re routing the return imput to record tracks but i dont think you can mix input 7/8 onto a mix bus so handy for recording playback etc but not extra radio mics inless just for iso..i may be wrong tho..

I think you are wrong. I am only going by the signal flow chart, but according to it, the return can be mixed and processed just like any other input

3 hours ago, Olle Sjostrom said:

However, Cantar mini is hardly mini compared to the SXR4+, correct?

Exactly, which is why I wasn't including Cantar in my statement. The Sonosax is much much smaller. 

5 hours ago, r.paterson said:

Isnt tracks 7 and 8 on the 833 record only as its re routing the return imput to record tracks but i dont think you can mix input 7/8 onto a mix bus so handy for recording playback etc but not extra radio mics inless just for iso..i may be wrong tho..

Aside from being line level only (but they do have analogue limiters, unlike 4-6 on the 633), you can treat them exactly the same as any other input. 

Well when you add the RC8 the size begins to increase slightly, still doesn't have faders/actuators.  So size becomes closer.  But you do have 12 mic pres, point to R4+.  Routing and the Transvideo screen are first rate.  

I don't have a Sonosax, seen them at Trew's.  Present stable includes SD633, SD688 and Cantar Mini.  I looked long and hard at the R4+.  For me the lack of having a number of outputs was an issue for the work I mostly do.  If I didn't need the variety of connections, I would have chosen the R4+

The form factor of the Mini is really a problem as there are very limited bag choices and none of those really worked for me.  Aaton's cheese plate rig also didn't work.  So I made my own bag.  The R4+ like the SD products fits so many different bags.

Both of these recorders are excellent machines.

Left Sound Devices for the last few years (had my own 552 straight out of film school for a while, but then later on went F4/F8n/Maxx), although I'd still use a MM1 now and then on a semi regular basis whenever I was lucky enough to use a boom op.

But now I've returned, just today got the 1st 833 in the country!

No photo description available.

Congrats! 

one of my colleagues picked his 833 up a couple of days ago here in Sydney so you’re the second guy I know of to have an 833 “downunder”. 

I’m going to hold off picking one up because I bought a Scorpio a few  months ago and can honestly say you will love the sound of the 833 since it uses the same preamps as Scorpio. 

Awesome features too, so enjoy mate. 

looking forward to picking up mine at some point to add to my collection of 2 x 788’s, 688, 633, 552 and Scorpio! 

Do I really need another recorder? Of course I do! 

30 minutes ago, Peter Mega said:

looking forward to picking up mine at some point to add to my collection of 2 x 788’s, 688, 633, 552 and Scorpio! 

oh wow, that is a lot! Yeah definitely no rush for you in getting an 833

I’m going to hold off picking one up because I bought a Scorpio a few  months ago and can honestly say you will love the sound of the 833 since it uses the same preamps as Scorpio. 

Yes, also has as many FPGAs as Scorpio, so hopefully all the core features Scorpio has will also show up in the 833

Awesome features too, so enjoy mate. 

Fixes up the minor deficits of the 633 which put me off it, am glad I waited!

one of my colleagues picked his 833 up a couple of days ago here in Sydney so you’re the second guy I know of to have an 833 “downunder”. 

Anybody else in Oz? Am a little surprised I'm the only person in NZ! 
Is Zaxcom going to win this round perhaps? Apparently there are a few orders in already for Nova
But from my perspective the 833 makes more sense for me personally than Nova.
(the biggest temptation for me was instead a secondhand 633 as their prices are going to now fall through the floor, but nope, I'd rather have the 833 as the extra cost spread out over years won't be that much per year)

Do I really need another recorder? Of course I do! 

To be fair I don't need *NEED* another recorder either!
I've got (in the order I purchased!) a Zoom H1 / Sound Devices 552 / Tascam DR680mk1 / Zoom F4 / Tascam DR22WL / Zoom F8n / Zaxcom Maxx, and now....  833! Maaaybe I have too many, anybody want to buy one of the other ones off me? ha

On 9/22/2019 at 10:05 AM, henrimic said:

Should We then replace our power distribution that is entirely on Hirose ? Or simply stay on Hirose and remove the Sony batteries ?

I received an answer from Antoine at Audioroot about the powering of the 833. 

A simple HRS4 to TA4F connected to the BG-DH MKII distro should work.

The charging function of the L-mount batteries can be de-activated in the power  menu, so no need to replace the distro, the Hirose will support the current. 

Coming back to the subject of power draw, perhaps some of you new owners of the 833 can do some battery runtime tests?

I’m considering an upgrade from a 633, but after looking at the current draw for several machines, I grew a little concerned about the amount of battery power I would need to haul around on a travel job.

633: 447 mA, idle current draw, inputs 1-6 on

688: 680 mA, idle, inputs 1-6 on

833: 845mA, idle, all mic-pres OFF.  1.03A, all mic-pres on (!)

To relate these numbers to the real-world, I measure by the number of 95Wh NP batteries that can get me through a day:

633 + 2 SRb: 2 NPs (personal experience)

688/SL6 + 2 SRb: 4 NPs (says a colleague)

So with the 833 showing an even higher spec for current draw than the 688, am I going to need 5+ NP batteries for a single day’s work? That is a bit concerning when it comes to trying to travel light via airplane!

I know there’s some talk of “intelligent power-down” of unused channels and electronics, but I’d love to have some real-world feedback on powering this seemingly hungry little beast. :)

Cheers,

-Brian

From reading the user guide (which has been updated I see, thus I'm guessing these figures are now correct vs the older figures I first saw) I can see it will draw in the ballpark region of between 10W and 14W (I'm probably going to be closer to 10W on a typical day than 14W). 

Two big NP-F970 batteries (this is the same L mount as used on many other Sound Devices products) are together around 95Wh, thus if I start my day off with two freshly charged NP-F970 batteries on the bottom of the 833 (this would make it sit rather high in the bag though!) then that should last me almost a whole day. 

Same would be true with your 95Wh NP-Style batteries, one would be enough for a short ish day, bring two to be safe. Then whatever extra to power everything else in your bag, Lectrosonics SR only draw around 1.5W so a single extra NP-Style battery for them would be plenty overkill to be safe.