New SD 833

henrimic

4 hours ago, bcopenhagen said:

Coming back to the subject of power draw, perhaps some of you new owners of the 833 can do some battery runtime tests?

I’m considering an upgrade from a 633, but after looking at the current draw for several machines, I grew a little concerned about the amount of battery power I would need to haul around on a travel job.

633: 447 mA, idle current draw, inputs 1-6 on

688: 680 mA, idle, inputs 1-6 on

833: 845mA, idle, all mic-pres OFF.  1.03A, all mic-pres on (!)

To relate these numbers to the real-world, I measure by the number of 95Wh NP batteries that can get me through a day:

633 + 2 SRb: 2 NPs (personal experience)

688/SL6 + 2 SRb: 4 NPs (says a colleague)

So with the 833 showing an even higher spec for current draw than the 688, am I going to need 5+ NP batteries for a single day’s work? That is a bit concerning when it comes to trying to travel light via airplane!

I know there’s some talk of “intelligent power-down” of unused channels and electronics, but I’d love to have some real-world feedback on powering this seemingly hungry little beast. :)

Cheers,

-Brian

By the time you get to NP #3 or 4, your first one should be recharged, no? And a multibay charger that simultaneously charges two batteries would be your best bet.

2 hours ago, BAB414 said:

By the time you get to NP #3 or 4, your first one should be recharged, no? And a multibay charger that simultaneously charges two batteries would be your best bet.

From NP1s I've been switching over to NP-F (L series) with integrated USB I/Os. I can now charge 6 batts from a single USB charger hub. Slowish, but less to schlepp round. I also have a bit more redundancy with powering as equivalent capacity is across more units (eg 1 NP1 95wh = 2 NP-F 47wh) and more redundancy with charging as USB is ubiquitous. Battery mounts available with 12v O/P. 1 of the cheapest power sources out there too. 

15 hours ago, bcopenhagen said:

Coming back to the subject of power draw, perhaps some of you new owners of the 833 can do some battery runtime tests?

Thanks for the replies. Specs are a good guide, but I am still hoping for some real-world data.

Looking back at my post, I realize I listed the wrong power for NPs. Most are closer to 70Wh (mine are 77Wh).

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/13/2019 at 4:34 AM, Robfh said:

Anyone use the Scorpio for recording orchestra or concert choir?  I am currently using Prism Maselec Pres and Hilo conversion.  How does the Scorpio compare?  I have injured my back and need to switch to lighter rig so I'm searching for alternatives.  Thanks, Robfh

tried using a trolley, assistant?

There's loads of alternatives to carrying.. I'm a bit stumped by your question as there's loads of workarounds if you have a bad back. Buying a new recording rig seems like you're using a sledgehammer to crack a nut. Unless, you intended to buy a new rig anyway..

9 hours ago, engaudio said:

tried using a trolley, assistant?

There's loads of alternatives to carrying.. 

(1) Never EVER provide reasonable arguments against Gear Acquisition Syndrome. 😉

(2) I've only worked on a few complex live-music recording gigs, but in those, our perch was sometimes in a pretty hard-to-get-to nook. So that could be an issue. But Robfh or Phil or someone can provide a better answer. Meanwhile, here's some BTS of one of an orchestral recording load ins (note lack of cart):

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Mattias Larsen said:

Curious. As there seem to be some light on the new 888 with accessoires. How many tracks would the 833 be able to handle with the forthcomming AES extension? 

pretty sure the total track count doesn't change, but you can hook up more AES devices and route them to any track.

chris

On 11/9/2019 at 9:20 PM, Mattias Larsen said:

Curious. As there seem to be some light on the new 888 with accessoires. How many tracks would the 833 be able to handle with the forthcomming AES extension? 

We haven't heard anything at all from Sound Devices confirming/denying how many tracks in total the 833 will be able to record with the AES accessory  (or with the mythical "SL4").

Have my fingers crossed for it to be additional tracks, on top of what the 833 can do currently with its existing inputs. 

As it makes sense the 833 is capable of recording more tracks? If Sound Devices allows it. 

As the 833 as the same amount of core horsepower as the 888/Scorpio, as they all share 3x FPGAs at the heart of it. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/1/2019 at 6:01 AM, BAB414 said:

I’m considering an upgrade from a 633, but after looking at the current draw for several machines, I grew a little concerned about the amount of battery power I would need to haul around on a travel job.

Bumping this. Anybody got some real world experience they can share with the battery life of the 833? Either with L mount batteries or NP1s? 

Resurrecting the thread to get some real world power draw experience. We never got those questions answered. Doing an average gig with an 833 and two SR receivers and boom, what was your battery life like for?

98wH eSmart battery:

71wH NP battery:

Other battery type:

People who have been using their new 833s for more than a week that are coming from 633s would be best suited for this question. Thank you 

9 minutes ago, JonG said:

Resurrecting the thread to get some real world power draw experience. We never got those questions answered. Doing an average gig with an 833 and two SR receivers and boom, what was your battery life like for?

98wH eSmart battery:

71wH NP battery:

Other battery type:

People who have been using their new 833s for more than a week that are coming from 633s would be best suited for this question. Thank you 

Ive been using mine with a 98w smart battery typically with 2 RX regularly for a month now an I typically go through 2 1/2 a day. Sometimes I power an antenna distro and Zaxcom CL and it’s 3 1/2 to 4.

haven't taken any formal data but that’s my real world experience. Draws a bit more that my 633 did.

hope that helps.

14 minutes ago, Trey LaCroix said:

Ive been using mine with a 98w smart battery typically with 2 RX regularly for a month now an I typically go through 2 1/2 a day. Sometimes I power an antenna distro and Zaxcom CL and it’s 3 1/2 to 4.

Oh wow, seems the 833 is way more power hungry than the 633?  I have a 633 + 2x SR's + 411a + IFBT4 going and I only use two lithium NP1's at the moment on average per day.

It’s disappointing that a machine that is essentially doing the same thing should draw so much more. The great thing about the 633 regarding power is how little it draws, and for me personally, coming from a 788T, it was a huge deal for me. With my 788T rig (complete with 6-7 411’s), I always kept 7 NPs available to get through the day. 

When I got the 633, my need was cut in half. And when I switched to eSmart batteries, it was quite a rare thing if I ever switched out a battery at all. 

Moving forward, if I decide to get an 833, I have to reconsider how many batteries I bring with me on travel jobs and the like. 

On 9/12/2019 at 12:34 PM, Robfh said:

Anyone use the Scorpio for recording orchestra or concert choir?  I am currently using Prism Maselec Pres and Hilo conversion.  How does the Scorpio compare?  I have injured my back and need to switch to lighter rig so I'm searching for alternatives.  Thanks, Robfh

I dont think the 800/600 series recorder or the scorpio is the best bet for music recording. I’d look into the Sonosax SX-R4+, Zaxcom, an X3 or a Nagra perhaps?

I don’t think you can do more than 2 mic amp/ channel linking so forget about doing decca tree, surround, ambisonic capture.  The Sonosax is super light and very power efficient, and ofcourse great sounding.

Thanks to those who revived my original inquiry for real-world experiences with battery usage, as well as to those who reported.

Once the 888 was announced, I knew that I would keep my 633 for the portable work, because the battery usage of the 833 is a deal-killer for my travel work. I’ve spent years finessing my travel kit, (slimming it down to a 1560, a 1510, and a personal bag) and I know that my 633 rig can run for 2 days with 3 NPs. The few additional functions of the 833 are just not worth having to add extra batteries, swap over to a smart battery system, or worry about charging during the shoot day, 

I am, however, sold on upgrading my cart with the 888. It’s really the machine I’ve been waiting for, especially when the AES accessory opens up further inputs.

Glad to have so many new options to choose from.

cheers,

Brian 

Thanks for the replies on battery life!  

Anyone have experiences using L mount batteries with the 833 to share? I frequently use 48wh IDX L mounts with my 633 instead of running it off the BDS, and one of the things I love about that setup is that I can usually get through a whole 10 hour day without swapping any batteries at all in the bag. Wondering if that's anywhere near possible with the two battery L mounts on the 833.

I’m afraid the 833 is seated between two chairs. Too compact for cart jobs and too hungry for bag. The 888 seems more relevant for cart with many inputs and outputs. I wish SD would have announced both models at the same time, my choice would have be different. Today I still use the 633 for bag jobs when I need just a boom and some Wisy’s, especially if I need to fly, and I use the 833 for more confortable gigs when power is not an issue.

6 hours ago, ivanovich said:

I dont think the 800/600 series recorder or the scorpio is the best bet for music recording. I’d look into the Sonosax SX-R4+, Zaxcom, an X3 or a Nagra perhaps?

I don’t think you can do more than 2 mic amp/ channel linking so forget about doing decca tree, surround, ambisonic capture.  The Sonosax is super light and very power efficient, and ofcourse great sounding.

other than the channel linking, why would a Scorpio not be suitable? From what I‘ve read it seems very suitable for music recordings. I have never recorded music with a recorder that could link more than two channels. 

11 hours ago, Rifthead said:

Bumping this. Anybody got some real world experience they can share with the battery life of the 833? Either with L mount batteries or NP1s? 

I've done three productions now (NZ leg of a reality tv show, a corporate feel good campaign, and a product advert. Got this weekend a short film with the 833 coming up next) and in each case I've been using only the NP-F970 batteries! (plus a small BP-U30 to power my Lectro SR) No external power needed at all. 

Haven't even needed to switch over to my 2nd set of NP-F970 batteries yet, but then again each shoot has not had a loooooong day. (and I'm powering down when I'm not using the recorder, such as during lunch)