New SD 833

henrimic

3 hours ago, Constantin said:

other than the channel linking, why would a Scorpio not be suitable? From what I‘ve read it seems very suitable for music recordings. I have never recorded music with a recorder that could link more than two channels. 

Constantin, you’re right. Not totally necessary. That being said, with an X3/Mini you would get built in faders. In my experience faders are crucial for mixing and recording music.

I guess generally speaking I’m just disappointed with SDs new offerings. They seem to be bigger, bulkier, and more power hungry. Just doesn’t make sense in contrast to other offerings. I’m looking forward to seeing something really cool and innovative coming from SD.

5 hours ago, ivanovich said:

I guess generally speaking I’m just disappointed with SDs new offerings. They seem to be bigger, bulkier, and more power hungry. Just doesn’t make sense in contrast to other offerings. I’m looking forward to seeing something really cool and innovative coming from SD.

I have a similar sentiment - if I was looking for a recorder that would sit on a cart all the time, the 888/8 series would be perfect.

As someone who does a lot of bag work even the 833s power consumption is a bit inhibitive for me. It has a lot of great features over the 633, but moves more in the direction of a heavy/power hungry bag for documentary.

Oh for sure - I’m using my 633 right this moment! Also for doc I’ve been using the mix pre 6 to go even more lightweight.

Im in no rush to upgrade, but when surveying the newer options for the work I do, the direction of the Nova seems more intuitive as it meets my ergonomic/power needs more than the 8 series mixers.

If only they’d have had all six inputs on the 633 be mic/line/aes. Man that would be a hard machine to replace. But as it stands, I keep having a hard time justifying moving to an 833 with really very little difference in features, and the problem of power consumption. I do a lot of doc work and travel gigs and like it has been said before, being able to pack light has been a big asset. To think that I’ll need twice as many batteries and possibly another dual charger to do the same work. I’ll have to keep weighing out the pros and cons while all the early adopters find all the bugs!

I think the whole power issue of the 833 is over exaggerated somewhat, as before mine arrived then I somewhat feared that too based on reading people's feelings/speculation about the 833, but I've found in practice that using the 833 I have only been using the two "internal" NP-F970 batteries and haven't even needed to switch over ever! (to be fair, I haven't done any loooooong days with it yet, and I turn it off when not in use such as say during lunch break)

7 hours ago, IronFilm said:

I think the whole power issue of the 833 is over exaggerated somewhat, as before mine arrived then I somewhat feared that too based on reading people's feelings/speculation about the 833, but I've found in practice that using the 833 I have only been using the two "internal" NP-F970 batteries and haven't even needed to switch over ever! (to be fair, I haven't done any loooooong days with it yet, and I turn it off when not in use such as say during lunch break)

IMHO, the power usage difference between a short predictable day and long unpredictable day can be really high. Not having enough batteries is arguably the least acceptable 'technical' issue 1 can have. Although when I was staffer I noticed camera guys wouldn't protest with the kit room guys if given only enough power for 10 hour day - it saved discussions with producers about overtime ,'). I'm going through my current battery inventory now doing standby and runtime tests and label the batteries accordingly - and plan to do so on a cyclical basis. 

3 hours ago, Philip Perkins said:

So far every time I've upgraded my digital field recorder I've had to up my battery game as well--the new device seems to chew the external batteries up faster.  Predictable, I guess....  More features=more DC.

Perhaps mostly with SD offerings. Some other options its actually more features and less DC....

1 hour ago, Rifthead said:

Another side note, what are the disadvantages of using the Icon M+ control surface with the 833 without the D2 display? In the manual, it just says the D2 is required for full functionality...anyone combining the M+ with the D2 without a control surface? 

I did for the first few weeks. It’s o LT really an issue if you accidentally bank the faders without realizing it. That caused a few “what the fuck?” Moments.

• 1 year later...
On 9/21/2019 at 10:03 PM, daniel said:

I agree with you but if they are banking on Dante it should be on 833 (especially as there is only 1 AES!).

I wonder if they'll be another bigger recorder in the 8 series soon - 1 with Dante and/or more than 1 AES. At the moment the Nova looks like the neatest bag only rig (especially if you're running internal RX or AES O/P wireless). 833 perhaps better if you need Dugan and a good value control surface (and not ready for the full Zax eco system). 

The Nova automix is pretty awesome, better then the auto mixers on the 633 I have. Nova really needs an app to run it tho, using the knob for data entry is PIA.