Sound Devices Wingman app metadata SoundMiner style

Grigory Kuznetsov

Hello everyone!

One of the great uses for MixPre 6 that I see is a very portable Ambisonics recorder for ambiences and other SFX. The golden rule of SFX recording is to sort them and supply with SoundMiner metadata as early as you can because otherwise you'll hardly ever find the recordings (hello my over 50 GBs from university times). So, is it technically possible to make a version of Wingman app that would have metadata fields (I'll name them the way as SM does) such as Description, BWFDescription, Comments and maybe some other SM fields? It can be much more handy to fill these in while you're recording or right after it. 

For a long time I though that the field Description is proprietary to SM but suddenly I learned that Reaper's Media Explorer sees that field and calls it Comments and also Search (by prosoundeffects) uses it as its own Description field. I'm a Russian and we tend to use Cyrillic in Description field and English in BWFDescription and when I saw a field in Russian (or that can't be read by Search) I was positive it was the SM Description.

So, can Wingman be upgraded to sort SFX for libraries on the go and how many people besides me would be into it? Since SD offers a lot of "without a laptop" features like remix, then why not? Oh, and also, I'd definitely appreciate support of Cyrillic in Description section :)