Jim Webb on this forum?

Guest tourtelot

Guest tourtelot

Anyone know Jimmy well enough to talk him into becoming a contributing member of this forum.  I did half a show with him (and NO, he didn't fire me<g>) and he had some stories!!  It was a pleasure to stand by the cart, in the truck, after I had run miles of "horse-cock" to the set (phweew!) and hear the tales.  I'd love to hear more, so if anyone considers themself a friend and is persuasive, can you make this work?

D.

• 2 months later...

I did 5 movies that I can recall with Jim Webb, and I can only say that he would be a outstanding voice for this forum. The last job I worked with Jim was my last film, and then I migrated to the comercial world so that I could stay at home and raise my kids with my wife. Back then, when we worked together there was no internet as we know it. The newest Apple wasn't even a Mac, and analog was forever and then some. I learned alot about sound recording for film from Jim, and we did some good work together. Jims resume is much like Jeffs in that they did great work with the best directors of their day. I will make some calls and see if I can dig up the old mixer and see if he is even into the whole internet thing. I never saw this post before today, but it reminds me that alot of very knowledgable soundmen are out there and would also be of great value to this forum. Call a friend.

Max. Respect, Crew C

P.S. I wish this site had spell check, or if it does I knew where it was. OUT.

Thank you, old school, for putting me in the same category as Jim Webb...  I am honored and I also agree that Jim would be a real asset to this group. I can be considered a contemporary of Jim Webb and we were both fortunate to have worked with some of the great directors on quite a few really good movies. I learned a lot from Jim also, sometimes those were things I did NOT want to do, but many times there were solutions and approaches that I had not considered. I don't think there is much hope getting Jim involved, even as a wise old sage (or disgruntled retired-way-to-late sound mixer depending on how you look at it) --- I have had no contact with Jim since he retired many years ago. I have spoken to Chris McLaughlin, also now retired, (Chris probably did more movies with Jim Webb than anybody) and he hasn't even had much contact with Jim.

It is my hope that as more of us old farts retire we can do something more than just tell war stories, however entertaining they may be. It is my hope, and it may be quite naive and idealistic, that we can learn sometrhing of value from all these experiences and put that knowlege to work in today's world of sound recording. I guess that is one of the reasons I started this Discussion Group and why I wish to keep it open and general for everyone to participate.

Regards,  Jeff Wexler

Wow... Chris McLaughlin... Another great practitioner of the boom craft. He would be a great POV for your site. As far as I know from Jim and others, Chris only used a 815, int or ext for the million pictures they did together.  This blows whats left of my mind as a boom op who became a mixer.  It would also be great to hear from other journeyman boom ops like Randy Johnson, Mychal Smith, Carl Fisher, etc..... The boom op is the key job link in the film sound chain....

Hey Mr Tourtelot, if you cabled for Jim, you were a cable man supreme... Jims 3rd men ran miles and miles of cable. I know, I saw them crying,,, But they all turned out to be good mixers and had a lot of Jim Webb stories to boot. Work weeks over and I see a beer in my very near future.

Max. Respect, Old School

Jims 3rd men ran miles and miles of cable. I know, I saw them crying,,, But they all turned out to be good mixers and had a lot of Jim Webb stories to boot.

Can't agree more.  I cabled one movie for Jim, about 13 or 14 years ago.  It was Duke Marsh's first full move as boom operator for Jim.  He would make for another great source of Jim Webb stories.  I think Duke cabled for him as long or longer than most.  The only time I ran more multi snake cable in my life was doing tour work.  Jim had the camera truck nicely rigged up as his control room.  Wow, that brings back some memories.

And thanks for putting me in that group of mixers who came out of the Jim Webb utility school (boot camp).

PWP

Hey all, Happy to report that Jim Webb is alive and well, living the retired dream in the great northwest. He sounds great, same old guy I knew back when. He is working hard on a book that I know will be of interest to us all. He seemed happy that anyone even remembers his name, and said that he would check out Jeffs site when he got a chance. A good guy and a college of knowledge, I hope he posts here when he finds time. I also spoke with Bill MacPherson, one of Jim's cable guys who is now a top mixer about to start "Curb your Enthusiasm" , and I turned him on to this site and hope he will add to the dialog as well. It was a blast from the past and made my day yesterday talking to them.

Max. Respect, Old School