Tentacle Sync 'Track E' - New minirecorders with timecode

pillepalle

Tentacle Sync annouced their new Mini Recorder Track E, that will be available in the first quarter of 2020. It has lockable microphone input, with an input liniter an highpass filter, adjustable plugin power to support a wide variety of lavs and records to miniSD cards in 32bit floating point (set and forget). It has a headphone output and can be connected via bluetooth to the app. It is a stand alone device that doesn't need a sync E device to operate. Prices are not announced jet.

TentacleSyncTRACKEannouncement.jpg

Greetings

I guess the timecode will be already in the file (probably a braodcast wav file). It's a timecode box with recording capabilities. I just get the infos from an e-mail from Tentacle Sync. On the ibc they will present it and hopefully you get more infos on the devices.

Greetings

PS: Heres the original e-mail message:

Finally it’s here! After months of hard work, we are proud to present you our new product: The Track E. Come visit us at IBC 2019 (Hall 8 / booth B03) for a first introduction of our super mobile audio recorder.

The Track E with synchronization over bluetooth and 32 bit floating point technology is the newest addition to our Tentacle Sync family. It is nearly as small as the Sync E, so it can easily fit in your pocket for recording on the go. This allows mobile operation for example as a recorder for a clip-on microphone eliminating the need for a radio-link. It offers synchronization over bluetooth based on our well established Tentacle Sync technology. After an initial syncing process the Track E devices run independently with less drift than one frame within 24 hours. This means that the Track E will work in environments where regular wireless transmitter fail. Controllable through an app for iOS or Android, it seamless integrates with other Sync E and Track E devices. But the Track E does not necessarily need a Sync E device to operate – it can easily function as a stand-alone device. As soon as the device is turned on, it will be recognized by your Tentacle Sync setup app and can be configured wirelessly.

The Track E uses 32 bit floating point technology for recording the audio for a significantly enhanced dynamic range. This means that the gain of the recorded audio doesn’t matter. Audio that was recorded too quiet, can be raised in volume to the desired volume without raising the noise floor. 32 bit floating point also means that no digital clipping will occur, making the Track E a versatile set-&-forget-device that will always deliver high quality audio. You can treat audio in a similar way as photographers use the RAW camera photo format – all details can be adjusted in post production, significantly reducing the preparation time before you start shooting.

We designed the device specifically with YouTubers, documentary or wedding filmmakers in mind, but even if your are working on a large-scale production you can benefit from the Track E as a no-frills backup device. The Track E uses a changeable SD card for recording the audio. An input limiter and a high-pass filter guarantee for pristine recording quality. A screwable mini jack connector offers maximum security for connecting microphones. The Track E features adjustable plugin power for supporting a wide range of microphones. A free license of Tentacle Sync Studio is included with every Track E purchase. The Track E will be available in Q1 2020. In addition to the regular Track E, there is going to be a bundled version with a cost effective lavalier microphone as well.

We hope you will like it as much as we do. Looking forward to meet you at the IBC in Amsterdam...

All the best from Cologne,

Max, Ulrich and the Tentacles!

14 minutes ago, davedv said:

So does this mean they are using multiple A/D converters like in the MixPre recorders and Zoom F6?

I'm fuzzy on remember the details, but wasn't it that Zaxcom patented using two, so Sound Devices patented using three (which is in the MixPre series), so is Zoom going to patent using four? And Tentacle is going to use five! ha

I believe zaxcom used two inputs and simply compared them to each other, picking the best one. 

Sound Devices uses “at least” two analog input stages where each analog input is converted into digital data. 

SDs implementation in the MixPre II is using three separate analog inputs, turn them into digital domain and can then sum two of them and discarding one it a corrupt data stream is found. 

This little Tentacle is really nice and I like their simple path to a quite powerful product. 

I can even see a niche market for a dual channel version as well. 

3 hours ago, IronFilm said:

I'm fuzzy on remember the details, but wasn't it that Zaxcom patented using two, so Sound Devices patented using three (which is in the MixPre series), so is Zoom going to patent using four? And Tentacle is going to use five! ha

As I understand it, Zaxcom patented the way the two outputs are combined into one coherent sound. I‘m pretty sure that employing two converters cannot be patented as that is really old tech

On 9/12/2019 at 10:53 PM, pillepalle said:

@Elusive Sounds

Yes, that's what I was also aking myself. In my optinion a direct mic/line output would have made more sense. Who's going to monitor with headphones when the unit is on the talent :)

Looks like they're explicitly marketing this one to Youtubers, where the recordist and the talent are the same person, so having a headphone out makes a lot more sense than output since they're not going to be outputting anywhere.

Also, wedding videographers who for various reasons, usually budget, again will not be outputting anywhere or monitoring during recording.

Same market as the Tascam DR10-L.

On 9/12/2019 at 10:53 PM, pillepalle said:

16 hours ago, MacIntoshEddie said:

Looks like they're explicitly marketing this one to Youtubers, where the recordist and the talent are the same person, so having a headphone out makes a lot more sense than output since they're not going to be outputting anywhere.

Also, wedding videographers who for various reasons, usually budget, again will not be outputting anywhere or monitoring during recording.

Same market as the Tascam DR10-L.

and you can check if there is any clothes noises when installed on the talent before starting the session. I use the VT506 mobile with an Iphone and Tentacle sync recorder but I have to make a recording test to see if the mic is correctly installed. Headphone out makes it more easy.