Tentacle Sync 'Track E' - New minirecorders with timecode

pillepalle

12 hours ago, Max Futterman said:

This definitely looks ideally suited for YouTubers who just need a visible lav and an easy way to sync everything. Granted, a COS11 costs more than the unit itself...

In Video, Ulrich says Track E has "Sync E built in". So does this mean it can also be used like a Sync E for syncing other devices?

@ daniel

It should work. If they can be synced (probably via the mic input) they should also be able jam other units. But you're right. In their demo videos it's not really clear because they don't show how they get synched and they use normal tentacles for the camera. But even if they just can be jammed, it wouldn't be a dealbreaker, because you can simply use a  the TC of the camera or field recorder, or jam a normal tentacle on them. 

On the Gotham Sounds YouTube channel they have had a nice demo video of the normal E units that shows the saftey features of the bluetooth technology. So it alerts you when one unit is out of jam, you set the wrong framerate, or the input connector is not connected. 

Greetings

2 hours ago, pillepalle said:

If they can be synced (probably via the mic input) 

As I understand it you sync them via the smartphone app or you use them unsynced. 

Not sure if they can output TC. I would think no, because they would’ve emphasized it more and it would kind of take away most reasons to buy an actual Sync E (as I‘ve heard they cost the same)

@ constantin

If they couldn't be synced to other devices what sense would make the inbiult timecode generator? As far as Ulli from Tentacle mentioned bluetooth is not ideal for time critical applications and that it's reccomended to jam the units via cable. For monitoring purposes bluetooth is okay because they refresh the signal only once a second. Maybe they can't jam other devices so the classical Sync E is used on devices that usually have no timecode option. But it seems we have to wait and see...

Greetings

5 hours ago, daniel said:

In Video, Ulrich says Track E has "Sync E built in". So does this mean it can also be used like a Sync E for syncing other devices?

Yeah I'm wondering the same thing.

I have a MixPre-6 II that has its own timecode... so I was planning on getting a Sync E for my camera.

BUT... if the Track E can do the same things as the Sync E... I might as well get that instead and have a bonus audio recorder for other applications.

The Track E is slightly bigger than the Sync E... but both are still very small.  They both have timecode capabilities built-in... and both have 3.5mm jacks (which is how you would jam timecode in/out)

So it's very possible that the Track E can perform as a Sync E alternative.

I think Ulrich said they'd both be around the same price too.  If so... I wonder how much longer both products would need to exist?  IF the Track E can do all the same things as a Sync E.... *and* it also includes lavelier recording... it seems like the Track E could just become their default product.

I'll be keeping an eye on this.  We've got a few months anyway.

7 hours ago, Michael Scrip said:

Yeah I'm wondering the same thing.

I have a MixPre-6 II that has its own timecode... so I was planning on getting a Sync E for my camera.

BUT... if the Track E can do the same things as the Sync E... I might as well get that instead and have a bonus audio recorder for other applications.

The Track E is slightly bigger than the Sync E... but both are still very small.  They both have timecode capabilities built-in... and both have 3.5mm jacks (which is how you would jam timecode in/out)

So it's very possible that the Track E can perform as a Sync E alternative.

I think Ulrich said they'd both be around the same price too.  If so... I wonder how much longer both products would need to exist?  IF the Track E can do all the same things as a Sync E.... *and* it also includes lavelier recording... it seems like the Track E could just become their default product.

I'll be keeping an eye on this.  We've got a few months anyway.

Indeed. If Track E passes audio, it could even be said Track E is the Sync E to use with a radio mic scratch track (if requested) or a plug in/nothing otherwise. 

On 9/16/2019 at 5:52 PM, pillepalle said:

If they couldn't be synced to other devices what sense would make the inbiult timecode generator? 

To keep sync for a long time without the need to re-sync? It can be synced to other devices - via a Sync E. 

Anyway, it would of course be really cool if it could indeed output TC. 

We just need to wait and see I‘m afraid

9 hours ago, Fidelio Sound Co said:

It’s still just a prototype. You should provide that feedback to them and who knows...

That's true. Maybe I'll reach out to them.

I would really like to use it as a backup recorder.
Auto-rec when it receives power. L/R from the recorder.

The problem is, I'm not using Tentacle boxes for sync. 

2 hours ago, Kvark said:

That's true. Maybe I'll reach out to them.

I would really like to use it as a backup recorder.
Auto-rec when it receives power. L/R from the recorder.

The problem is, I'm not using Tentacle boxes for sync. 

Don’t see why it’s a problem that you’re not using tentacles. They jam with any other device on the market just fine. 

• 3 months later...
  • 9 months later...

After some Covid-related delays, the Tentacle Sync Track E is now available for pre-order from B&H for $349:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1506356-REG/tentacle_sync_track_e_pocket_audio.html

From the updates on the Tentacle Sync website, it sounds like they are going to begin manufacturing in the next couple of weeks.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/28/2020 at 2:20 PM, independent said:

No headphone out jacket for US models. Thanks a lot, Zaxcommunists! 

Your statement is incorrect. The Tentacle-E has a headphone jack to facilitate setup monitoring and for playback of audio directly from the card. For the US model, Tentacle decided to disable the headphone jack during recording  --  this is obviously done so as to not in any way infringe on the Zaxcom patent. From what I can tell so far, Tentacle has done a terrific job is designing this unit and for its specific market I think it will be very successful. I will also add that generally for its intended purpose, placing on a subject to be recorded, disabling monitoring while recording shouldn't b e a big obstacle to its effective use. If you really need to monitor while recording, use a wireless transmitter and spit the mic to feed both.

Tentacle-E.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know if the license key for tentacle sync studio is directly linked to the device or do you get an unlock key thats independent of the device?

Right now I dont need these tentacle boxes as I am using ultrasync but I really need the software, 

so maybe I will buy a tentacle sync and maybe resell it later without the software.