Tentacle Sync 'Track E' - New minirecorders with timecode

pillepalle

Daniel, thanks for sharing your experiences. Just so I'm clear:

You're saying it takes about one second to open the stream, or that even after a connection is established, the audio latency is about one second?

And usual reliable range appears to be about 10 meters / 30 yards or so (depending on various factors)?

17 hours ago, Jim Feeley said:

Daniel, thanks for sharing your experiences. Just so I'm clear:

You're saying it takes about one second to open the stream, or that even after a connection is established, the audio latency is about one second?

And usual reliable range appears to be about 10 meters / 30 yards or so (depending on various factors)?

Audio latency is roughly 1s aka 1000ms. My toddler enjoyed playing with the echo.

Yes, your range guess meets my experiences.

After all, this is bluetooth and for confidence monitoring in small sets (e.g. interviews) it is enough and can save a TX + soundbag. In a way, this is not only a good thing.

I have not tested (yet) the battery runtime with a permanent audio stream. Also, the audio stoped when the screen of the Ipad went black after some minutes. That might be an OS setting though or could be fixed.

Edit: I just tested the App on my Android 9 phone. When I tried to switch on audio streaming, the app told me that audio streaming is supported from android 10 on.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Firmware version 2.0.1 has been released for the Track E along with an updated iOS app.  It includes support for the wireless audio monitoring as featured in the beta.

BUT... there is a bug with this firmware:

***25. Jan 2021*** We have encountered a bug in V2.0.1 where settings are not saved to device after changing the recording format. We will fix this asap and have a new version for you hopefully tomorrow. It is safe to use older firmware versions with the latest setup app for iOS/Android. Only the monitoring will not work (and that's why you are here, aren't you)

Sorry for the inconveniences!

So hold off for now.  Check back after January 26th.

https://tentaclesync.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/sections/360000084557-Device-Firmware

I did test a rather odd Vatenick V7 childrens tablet, the cheapest Android 10 device I could find used. This thing might even make sense on set. It was with with a beta version of the app and monitoring did not play.

I reported it and a few feature requests and they were very friendly and responsive. Now monitoring works in 2.0.1 even with less latency than the Ipad.

Even beyond the upcoming bugfix, there is some more finetuning on the UI to expect, e.g. accessing BT monitoring on the main screen.

What is still completely annoying is that the app has to be in foreground for the monitoring to work. That means it will turn off when you switch to another app or when the screen times out. 

The Android app has a the feature to send you notifications (bat empty/card full) that can be turned off. On my device it produced meaningless notifications that needed to be clicked away. I switched it off as I don't need it anyway. 

• 9 months later...

Has anyone tried running a 48v mic like a Sanken CS1M or 8060 into a Track E with power supplied by a Kortich / UMP? I do a lot of run + gun fashion ads and would love to have audio options when I'm cutting. I've thought about getting a Mixpre / Lectro setup but it's just another thing to keep an eye on. Recently I've been popping a few Track E's on talent and I'd love to have a bit of the spaciousness that larger mics provide.

Is it a waste of time using a nice mic on a Track E? Should I just get a Rode Videomic and be done with it?

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/13/2022 at 9:51 AM, CP Digital said:

Has anyone tried running a 48v mic like a Sanken CS1M or 8060 into a Track E with power supplied by a Kortich / UMP? I do a lot of run + gun fashion ads and would love to have audio options when I'm cutting. I've thought about getting a Mixpre / Lectro setup but it's just another thing to keep an eye on. Recently I've been popping a few Track E's on talent and I'd love to have a bit of the spaciousness that larger mics provide.

Is it a waste of time using a nice mic on a Track E? Should I just get a Rode Videomic and be done with it?

I've used an 8060 with it, in between an Xvive P1. This works. I have not deeply listened into it though or compared results with larger recorders.