Anything and everything. So Diy Planar Headphones it is :)

WrineX

Well i just thought ill share a hobby with you guys. for those that would like to record with open back headphones this might be for you ;) but i cant think of any that would. (although i do love to hear a director with documentaries)

I guess no one knows m e and the people that do know me its because of some chargers.  but i actually have a far more important hobby.... at least to me :)

Making whatever sound related in terms of reproduction.  weird exotic speaker contraptions etc. but lately i made a Planar magnetic Headphone from some old scrap sennheiser and some  techniques i used before for my speaker projects. (fullrange planar magnetics and drivers)

Low and behold my .... Planar Magnetic ultra cheap Sennheiser overhaul :) 

Here's the complete playlist.. since i hoped it would be a one day build it turned out a bit longer.. (dont mind audio recording/photography)
Maybe some one  would like to try or whatever.

please let me know what your thoughtss are about an open back headphone ? i can imagine it being annoying but maybe someone has other ideas.

Part 1 the start of a planar magnetic headphone, made out of scraps.

Part 2 - trying the basic version

Part 3 - attempt of making the lighted membrane

Part 4  - Making one of the lightest membranes in planar headphones !

Part 5 - first music ! of driver V1

Part 6 - making the driver

Part 7 -  Making the cups

Part 8 - Assembly

PART 9 FINAL !

Well so far I have only looked at the pictures (but it is after all essentially a visual industry - !@#?) but my desire for a nice pair of vintage DT48s has now been superseded by “anything made from wood”!

Can’t, ahem, sound much worse than my sonies I expect ... !

Cheers, Jez

14 hours ago, The Immoral Mr Teas said:

Well so far I have only looked at the pictures (but it is after all essentially a visual industry - !@#?) but my desire for a nice pair of vintage DT48s has now been superseded by “anything made from wood”!

Cheers, Jez

I've got a couple sets of DT48s I'd let go to a good home. Got anything fun to trade for em? : )

Karl

• 1 month later...
On 9/15/2019 at 2:47 AM, The Immoral Mr Teas said:

Cheers, Jez

haha i sold my dt48's with a big smile on my face :) i ahted them. i even had the old versions like from the 70's at my film academy i once found  some racks in teh hallway , and i asked what is going on with these racks with old stuff on it ? they said it is gone be trown away... i was oooooh okeej.  i took 3 hald dt48's from the same year and made oen good pair and some transformers and some minidisc mixers i actually took everything i could transport by train haha :) would taken more just because i think it is a waste to trow it all in the garbage.  apparently other students did not take much interest ,so allot ended up in the container anyway :(

• 1 month later...
On 9/15/2019 at 2:47 AM, The Immoral Mr Teas said:

Cheers, Jez

haha you might be suprised i think a planar magnetic will will put the DT48 to bed in general. in distortion and accuracy to be honest :)

• 2 weeks later...

Actually I was just too taken with the look of them, which I loved. In fact I'm an editor so know and choose open back headphones over closed whenever the 'need to use, chance to choose' allows. A pair of (again, BeyerDynamic) DT 550 - dependable and 'brain comfortable' for times I have to edit and/or premix on headphones and happy to do so for long periods when needed.

I'd be interested if the opportunity came to give those nice looking 'ear clogs' a try btw!

Jez

Do you not think that what you are used to plays a role in this? I used DT48s throughout my 'career' in recording sound, but I am very willing to concede that there are much better options available now. But if I were to start work again I would certainly opt for DT48s as they are what I was accustomed to and maybe there is a circuit in my head that compensates for their inadequacies. Just a thought.

DT48s were the standard for West Coast USA film location sound when I started in the early '70s.  Back then I noticed a few things about them: 1: no one in the music world used them, or at least not in my town, 2: they seem very overpriced for how they sounded, 3: they always gave me headache within a few minutes of starting to wear them.  It was cool that they were pretty repairable, but I stopped using mine and gave them to my boom op (who liked them) within a year or so.  My head felt much better!  Many of is did a mod to the early version of the Sony foldup headphones we used (way pre-V6 etc) where we'd use a replacement cable for a DT48 with the Sonys, much better than the stock cable. 

I'd love to hear those planar cans!

• 3 weeks later...