Work related dreams!

mikewest

I regularly have these terrible dreams.

You could say nightmares that you live through.

Most recently a dream that when I awoke I felt exhausted.

I was recording on a Nagra without a perspex top or case or strap.

I was on a set of young teenagers and it was chaos.

The 1stAD did not want to bothered by blocks or rehearsals.

The camera shot regardless of me joining in.

Am I losing my marbles or do we all suffer from this???

Fond regards to all with dreams and sleepless nights

Mike

These are common work anxiety dreams.  I had them the worst as a waiter in my early 20s.  Customers keep coming, but the kitchen is closed, it's 5am and all I can serve is soda.  That kind of stuff.

I never had them as a boom or utility guy.  Loved the job, and worked for great mixers.

As a mixer, the added responsibility gives them to me occasionally.  Show up to work, and the gear is all disassembled.  Everyone's ready, but my crew and I look like the three stooges trying to put everything together.  My favorite is the dream when I yell at someone at the top of my lungs because I am so angry about something (glad I don't do that for real).

Food does contribute to your dreams too!

Robert

This is a great topic!  Just got off a 16 hr night (yay OT!) but I had to post.  My boom op Betsy has work dreams all the time, I'm always in them but they're not always anxiety dreams.  She has them almost every night, the 1st AD is almost always in them.  I should ask her about it and see if she remembers more.

I occasionally have them but they're more like standard weird dreams that aren't very stressful.  My worst dreams are usually after eating a huge quantity of ice cream (I'm allergic to dairy so it's rare) and in these dreams people are completely ignoring me.  Loving or hating me is fine, but ignoring is the worst thing anyone can do to me!

I did have one recently where I couldn't find my cart or something.  I would love to hear any detailed dreams from other soundies!

Dan Izen

I have dreams where we are getting rushed and I can't remember how to turn the recorder on.  Sometimes it is actually my recorder but usually it is a piece of studio equipment that looks vaguely familiar but I can't remember exactly where I recognize it from and I really don't know what it's doing on the cart.

Tim

I had a vivid dream once about a tv show I was working on at the time. In it, the set was extremely chaotic, noisy and very

rushed. Once a set up was over, the grips and electricians would practically stumble and trip over each other trying to break it down

and set up the next shot. We hardly had a chance to get our Fisher booms and cables out of there way. If we were to late they would

just start putting there equipment on top of ours and bury us. It got so frantic at one point, that a Fisher boom got knocked over and

it killed one of the main actors who was rehearsing a scene on the other side of the stage. It gave me pretty bad feeling.               This presented the production with a slight problem, but another actor was bought in after lunch and the "show went on" as they say'

they just kept right on shooting.

KKS.

Loving this thread !!!

While I've had nightmares in the past about arriving on location with no gear at all......most of my dreams are of the creative nature......I dream lav rigs....sad really.....should really get a life but 4am is my most creative time...this has been going on for years on and off......some of the rigs are weird and wonderful and very funny....not at all practical......but sometimes I get one that surprises me and it works....had to be some pay off for all this dreaming....lol.....

Brian

Wow I guess many of us suffer from them..

Picking up on the stories, I one overturned a Mole Boom in a studio,

it had a flat tyre, as I was moving it in a sharp turn it fell over - not a pretty site!

Yes, reloading a Nagra under pressure I have also recorded over material.

I guess we are all fallable humans however skilled we are at getting good sound.

Cheers, a good weekend to all and happy dreams!!

Mike

I would guess most of my dreams are set based. They are silly, weird, funny in retrospect when I wake up. Every once in awhile they venture into the ugly/scary. Seems normal when I consider how much of my life has been spent on a set. Wonder what they will be say 5 years after I retire from the life? I will tell you when that day comes if jwsound is still around. Hope it is.

CrewC

• 2 weeks later...

Great thread-I think the worst one I ever had was when I found myself playing an actor in a setup, (working with  some name director to boot). Camera was ready to roll, and I didn't have a 'friggin clue as to what my lines were. Totally petrified. It gave me some new found respect for what actors must go through all the time.

Had plenty of others as well-some of which were way too close to reality for my taste...

--Scott

Last week I dreamed that I was working by myself and I had to set my boompole down on a table for a minute so I could run off to do some other sound thing. As I placed it on the table, a girl jumped on the table with a dynamic mic trying to interview the talent and in the process stepping all over my boompole. I screamed at her in front of the whole crew. I felt bad for raising my voice at a sweet little girl and ran away. When I went back my boompole was gone and everyone was ready to shoot.

then I had a big "WTF MOMENT" .

When I woke up I just laughed to myself.  Atleast I was working in my dreams!

MTM

mikewest said:

"........when I awoke I felt exhausted.

I was recording on a Nagra without a perspex top or case or strap.

I was on a set of young teenagers and it was chaos.

The 1stAD did not want to bothered by blocks or rehearsals.

The camera shot regardless of me joining in.

Am I losing my marbles or do we all suffer from this??? "

You weren't asleep,Mike -

change the Nagra for an HDD recorder and it could be a normal working day !!

Mutt n' Jeff