Schoeps at IBC

Jeff Wexler

Schoeps has introduced an incredibly small amp (body) for their microphone capsules  ---  the CMC-1 is very short, looks to be about as long as 2 capsules in length. It is compatible with all the capsules and makes for a very compact microphone. Of course, this sort of short microphone poses problems for shockmounts and wind protection but of course Philippe Chenevez, the genius creator of the incredible Cinela mounts and windscreens has come up with a beautiful solution.

Schoeps-CMC-1.jpg

Simon Bishop's video at the Cinela booth can be seen here:  https://vimeo.com/360479473

Philippe Chenevez.jpg

• 4 months later...

I did an A/B test with my CMC6 and the new CMC1.

I figured I'd return the CMC1 if the sound was the same.

It wasn't. I put my CMC6 up for sale immediately.

To my ears, the CMC1 had a more clean and clear quality to it (hard to describe, actually.)

The higher SPL really does make a significant difference.

I now use it with Cut-1 and I haven't looked back!  This new little unit is AMAZING!!!

And by the way...this Movo WST80 Windshield is VERY transparent and is quite effective.

Screen Shot 2020-02-14 at 6.20.01 PM.jpg

34 minutes ago, Derek H said:

Movo windshield? Looks like a Rycote super softie copy. 

It does look like it.  But I've never tried a Super Softie, so I can't speak to that comparison, personally.

All I know is that this little thing is a beast and it's way more transparent than the BBG, which was very surprising to me.

It's actually hard to tell when it's on and when it's off. 

For $20, everyone should have one, even as a back-up for the SuperSoftie, no?

(I do not own or have any part of that company. 🙂 )

10 hours ago, Paul Garafola said:

Here's one of the tests that I've been doing with it.

Movo TEST | Indoors | On and Off | Schoeps CMC1/41 + Cut-1

I typically use this mic naked, as the included foam and also the BBG both affect the HF too much for my taste.

In that test, I was shocked how transparent the Movo was.

Have you tried the bd5 (or b5d?) the one with the little cage? I find that one really transparent and great for swinging.

Hi,

Paul you said you found the sound between the CMC6 and CMC1 quite different.

I haven't had the chance to listen to it but consider buying one (only one for now...)

As I often do 2 booms with CMC6+MK41 or MK4 work on set I need good matching.

Would you say that they are too different so that they won't match for 2 boom setups?

On 2/15/2020 at 2:04 PM, Fred Salles said:

Hi,

Paul you said you found the sound between the CMC6 and CMC1 quite different.

I haven't had the chance to listen to it but consider buying one (only one for now...)

As I often do 2 booms with CMC6+MK41 work on set I need good matching.

Would you say that they are too different so that they won't match for 2 boom setups?

No. They're not too different, in my opinion.  I think they'll mix well together in post.

I'll try to describe what I heard in my own tests here in my studio.

I LOVED the CMC6+MK41. I had ZERO problems.  ZERO complaints.

So when the CMC1 was released, I was simply curious if there was ANY difference in the sound, despite Schoeps' claim that they were the "same audio quality".  The plan was to return it if it sounded AS GOOD or WORSE than the CMC6.  Well....the CMC1 was so clear and crisp...and also the S's sounded cleaner and the K's sounded cleaner.  It's as if the voice is even more 'real' than before...with no filtering. It's so hard to explain. But my ears heard it immediately and I knew right there and then that I was keeping the CMC1. (My friend who also has trained ears, heard it immediately, too.)

But again, are they too different that they won't match two booms?

I'd say no. BUT...if you listen carefully, you'll definitely hear the difference.