CF Cards from Sound Devices recorders not mounting with USB3?

LDstudios

Hey everyone, 

Is it a known thing that CF cards used in SD 688's and SD 788's won't mount with a USB 3 CF card reader? That is the experience I had today after an email from the post department. The 32GB Sandisk extreme (it's on the approved media list) that I used yesterday with a Sound Devices 688 wouldn't mount. They tried multiple readers. Tried multiple cables. Tried multiple Macs. Tried multiple PCs. Nothing. 

Just as we were about to give up, I fished an identical CF card out of my bag that I last used with my Sound Devices 788... and it too wouldn't mount. The odds of two busted cards hanging out in the same case seem pretty remote. 

Turns out they both mount fine with a USB2 card reader... but don't work at all with a USB3 card reader. 

I’m starting to see these sorts of issues mounting cards in general, must be a thing going around. I experienced it the other day with an SD card using a Lexar USB3 card reader into my 2010 Mac Pro cheese grater. Never had an issue before and didn’t update anything. My solution was to check disk utilities. The card showed up there, so I just selected it and told it to mount the volume. Worked fine after that. 

The DIT yesterday had the same issue with a CF card that camera handed off. I told him what I did and that seemed to do the trick. 

3 hours ago, JonG said:

I’m starting to see these sorts of issues mounting cards in general, must be a thing going around. I experienced it the other day with an SD card using a Lexar USB3 card reader into my 2010 Mac Pro cheese grater. Never had an issue before and didn’t update anything. My solution was to check disk utilities. The card showed up there, so I just selected it and told it to mount the volume. Worked fine after that. 

The DIT yesterday had the same issue with a CF card that camera handed off. I told him what I did and that seemed to do the trick. 

It seems like there is some card reader + card type specific thing going on. We had no luck at all with disk utility, but we were getting a lovely "this USB device is drawing more power than is available via USB" style message in OSX on all of the iMacs that we tried it with. The card reader that worked looked identical to the USB3 model, but was the previous USB2 version. 

It tops off a bizarre week with two SD 688 recorders using CF cards. Last week one recorder wouldn't format any CF card that I put in it. The menu became slow to respond, and after a bunch of hard restarts, power cycling and trying different cards the recorder froze on the media information screen and I had to wait until the internal backup battery drained so it would turn off. A similar thing started happening yesterday with the second SD 688 when we were swapping the 'troubled' CF card between it and card readers while trying to troubleshoot the issue. In the space of 20 minutes, the 688 was slowing down and not recognising the media. 

It makes me want to hug my 788 with its internal SSD drive. 

9 hours ago, LDstudios said:

It makes me want to hug my 788 with its internal SSD drive. 

Part of why I still use my 788T only cart. It seems like everyone is constantly jumping over to the next cheap thing being put out there and having all kinds of problems, meanwhile I’m sitting back here with a cocktail in my hand like “oh you’re having those problems? Not me. Not for like over a decade...” lol