need help dpa 4188 vs 4288

Werner Althaus

I need to buy a set of dpa headworn mics for upcoming projects and time is of the essence. One of our vendors tells me that the 4188 is sold out and unlikely to become available until next year but the 4288 is available now. I'm told that the 4288 is identical to the 4188 except in form factor. The specs look identical but in the past I've auditioned dpa lavs with very similar specs to find that they do not sound identical, not even close. Does anyone here have knowledge as to how the two models compare in real life? I have used the 4188s before and like them.

according to all the info I can see both the 4188 and 4288 come in both 100mm and 120mm boom length.

The DPA page lists dynamic range as slightly different (2dB) and frequency range:

Frequency range, ±2 dB, Near field 2-3 cm (0.8 - 1.2 in)
100 Hz - 20 kHz with 3 dB soft boost at 8 - 20 kHz

and 4288

Frequency range, ±2 dB, Near field 2-3 cm (0.8 - 1.2 in)

100 Hz - 20 kHz (4 - 6 dB soft boost at 15 kHz)

all other specs being the same, and they mention on their website:

"The d:fine™ 4288 Directional Headset is available with CORE by DPA. The earset version (d:fine™ 4188) will be available with CORE in May 2018."

but if you want to be sure it might be best to simply shoot an email to DPA directly.