Using shotgun mic indoors

Viscount Omega

2 hours ago, soundtrane said:

if you see ANY of the NPR SMall Desk concerts - the sound guy invariably uses the MKH416 ALL THE TIME... go figure... 

The microphone choice on the NPR concerts is due to the small distances of the musicians and crosstalk.  But it's a good example that the most important things on a recording happens infront of the microphone :)

Greetings

6 hours ago, Viscount Omega said:

I wasn't being sarcastic about that question and you know that.  I don't think it was such a stupid question, really.  "What if I did this?"  

To be honest, I think it was pretty ludicrous. And the questions you asked and the comments you made later were often on the same level. So it’s difficult to tell why one thing should be sarcasm and the other shouldn’t. 

1 hour ago, Constantin said:

To be honest, I think it was pretty ludicrous. And the questions you asked and the comments you made later were often on the same level. So it’s difficult to tell why one thing should be sarcasm and the other shouldn’t. 

If you want to see ludicrous, you should move to Germany. 

Oh, wait.  Hold on a sec...

Just now, Viscount Omega said:

If you want to see ludicrous, you should move to Germany. 

Oh, wait.

All out are you? Was that really the best you could come up with? Sorry, man. 
You see, that’s how I know ludicrous when I see it, and that’s how I know your question was it

11 hours ago, pillepalle said:

The microphone choice on the NPR concerts is due to the small distances of the musicians and crosstalk.  But it's a good example that the most important things on a recording happens infront of the microphone :)

Greetings

IIRC NPR tiny desk uses MKH 418 stereo MS shotgun mics ( 416 mid with some evolution series figure 8 for the side in one housing) but you'll see all kinds of mics in there , like the Coles ribbon 4038 on the horns.

6 hours ago, Constantin said:

why oh why should I?

I wouldn't if I were you.  You're doing just fine.  We're all proud of you.

Btw, for those who are interested, the Sennheiser 435 arrived today from the Netherlands. 

The thing was wrapped up in so much paper and fill and plastic bubble it would make Greta Thunberg have

a stroke. 

But it looks clean and fresh just like in the pics.

20191003_191827[1].jpg

3 hours ago, Mack said:

Congrats.   At least this thread now looks like GearSlutz.  

Mack,

I wish I were like you.

We've never met, but you remind me of the dashing Beau Brummell, who would take one step into estate party of London society, look around, the crowd hushes and waits, and deem it unworthy of his attendance. 

He would just hold up his eye-piece and look around; see who's worthy; no one, of course, then leave.

Had his own window at White's.

You remind me of him. 

Are you related?

800px-BrummellEngrvFrmMiniature.jpg

My dearest Viscount, 

You flatter yourself assuming my comment was directed to you.  However since you’re the catfish that took a bait intended for a marlin, let’s take this Bentley for a spin, Ol’ chap:

A man walks into a large stateroom filled with people from all walks of life representing a vast enormity of experience, knowledge, wisdom, and intellect.  He asks a simple yet time-weathered question and receives many answers, all in the spirit of unity, graciousness, and camaraderie.  Instead of accepting these answers or academically debating the merits of any possible differences, he attacks their credibility, insults their knowledge,  publicly demeans their character, and declares them to be spreading false information based on fake physics. 

Also has his own place at White’s and you remind me of him. 

Are you related?  If not, you may want to change water supplies as you both appear to suffer from the same Potomac River poison.

2EB8E9B1-AB85-4B7F-A642-27BF5D158A50.jpeg

21 hours ago, Mack said:

A man walks into a large stateroom filled with people from all walks of life representing a vast enormity of experience, knowledge, wisdom, and intellect.  He asks a simple yet time-weathered question and receives many answers, all in the spirit of unity, graciousness, and camaraderie.  Instead of accepting these answers or academically debating the merits of any possible differences, he attacks their credibility, insults their knowledge,  publicly demeans their character, and declares them to be spreading false information based on fake physics. 

May I ask, what question did you ask?

btw, did you hear what they did to Themistocles in Ancient Greece with the fake ostrakon?  Rough stuff.

My dear Mack,

It's Friday night, Jackson!

I'm going out to party. 

Can't wait for your response about the simple, "time-weathered question".

Will bring you back a Cinnamon Fireball shot from the bar, kay?  Will have it in a basket.

Btw, there's a recent divorcee' who might be interested in you.

Cheers,

Omega

p.s. of course you won't answer 'cause you're full of shit to begin with.  LOL. 

Therefore, I'll drink your Fireball shot myself in your honor.  Total respect..

I bought this T Power to XLR Adapter from England.  It takes the 48V phantom and converts it to T-power. The electronics are stuffed in the XLR. 

I'll have it in a few days.

I was thinking of doing a mic comparison and throwing it up on YouTube.  Me sitting in a chair, mic 2 feet over my head on a mic stand.  Carpeted room.  Just me reading a Bukowski story or yelling at the news on the muted tv or just general nonsensical bullshit.  Black screen with nothing but letters and numbers.

I'll let you decide which one you like.

Sennheiser 416, MKH 40, MKH 50, and the 435.  I'll just hold a Tascam-DR100mkII in my hand.  24 bit, 96Khz.  Low cut at 80, no limiter.  No post EQ.

(I have a Neumann that will beat all of these like a rented mule but I like it better for singing or voice-over stuff.  Too much of an "open" sound.)

Of course it's going to be compressed by Vegas Pro and YouTube but it should still sound ok.

It's all a matter of personal preference.

s-l1600 (2).jpg

• 2 weeks later...

No worries.  The guy from England is sending it across the Atlantic by canoe.  LOL.

I just got the tracking # yesterday.

He sent it via Royal Mail 2nd Class to a 3rd party "International Priority Shipping to United States via Global Shipping Program"  Goes through Customs first, blah, blah..

Ridiculous.

I've gotten stuff from Tokyo in 2 days.

Should be here in a week or so, I guess.  (It says Oct. 22nd).

(The guy has 124 eBay sales and all 100% positive rating so it should be ok.)

• 3 weeks later...

If you're interested, here's a simple comparison test of the Sennheiser MKH 40, MKH 50, 416 Shotgun and 435T.  

No Limiter.  No post EQ.  Low Cut at 80Hz.  (The 40 and 50 have low cut switches on the mics turned on as well).

Sorry it took so long.  I had to wait for a part and was procrastinating making the video.

Wasn't listening on anything fancy but 435 sounds alright - especially at distance for intelligibility. It's more coloured than the others and the HF boost seems more conspicuous than the 416, maybe where post might take an EQ if they had to. In terms of retro mic sound I prefer the slightly warmer 416 here (even with its off access sound). Would like to have heard the 40 and 50 without mic body low cuts engaged (but the same recorder ones) as it adds a richness to some voices and with the 2 low cuts involved it lost some depth - but maybe it was too much in this case. For me they felt the most natural though, especially at the further distance, you can hear the room around the voice in a nice way and the voice is still distinct.