Blackbox Video Foldback/Comms sets

Damien Looney

Hi guys,

This is my first post here so if I'm covering something that's been covered in the past the I apologise in advance for wasting time.

I was hoping to hear from anyone who has used the Blackbox Video Foldback/Comms sets http://www.blackboxvideo.co.uk/ and to see what their thoughts were on them. I'm rarely in a position where I need to send head set feeds to people but when I do I just rent something like the Sennheiser IEM. They do the trick for small jobs but I was thinking about getting a system from Blackbox because they look like a stronger build and are an affordable option for the times when I'd need to roll them out (camera hop or feeds for script supervisor and director on small drama).

Thanks to anyone who can provide some feedback.

Damien

P.S. I tried to get a direct link to the products that I was taking about but the site seems to be full of frames and didn't offer a direct URL so if you have to navigate then I was talking about the UHF Foldback system.

The system does look good, a definite improvement build quality-wise over the Comtek and Lectrosonics IFB systems we use here in the U.S. The use of frames on the website (miserable design overall) does make it difficult to provide as direct link. I have posted a screen shot below just to get an idea of what they look like. Also, not clear on what pricing would be for these units, particularly the cost of the receivers.

Regards,  Jeff Wexler

post-1-130815081381_thumb.jpg

Guest BobD

Too nice to give to Client agency....  These look really nice. 

They will leave them in the gutter, bathroom, trailers, take them home, drop them under bushes, drop them, leave them on the floor etc.    For a director with SOME ability to treat them as a nice piece of equip., OK,  but the others... forget it....  Buy these at your own peril...

Comteks baby!!!!!!!

I'm afraid that the only Black Box equipment you will find is secondhand as Jim McCalister who ran the company and made all the bits and pieces has retired a few months ago and the company is no longer trading.

The systems that seems to be used more than any other here in the UK is the Senheisser G2.

malcolm Davies. A.m.p.s. (Production Sound Mixer.)

I have nothing but "great" to say about BlackBox video...

I purchased a very sweet package of BlackBox stuff several years ago for a specific roadshow I used to do.

We would be in two different cities a week, and I was looking for something that would be effortless in setup and immediate utility... the gear traveled in a caravan of trucks, as most tours do, and sometimes we needed to offload, grab, and run...  these systems operated in the 860s (mhz) and no US manufacturer was making "that".

This helped me in not having to think about any TV channel issues.  I also bought a power booster, and was able to achieve great distance and fidelity, all off of an SQN 4s and my NP1 / BDS rig.  (I powered the Blackbox system with the 4p Hirose loop out of the mixer.... ) 

I also used these successfully with no fear on a couple of European ventures...

Some strong attributes.....

Rock solid "Bud Box" construction, and nice belt clip

Internally powered by rechargeable (3 - AA bundled up inside) batteries

These are 2ch systems - that's right, stereo! 

BlackBox also made some great timecode equipment, and a nice "Power Station" with their own name, which escapes me..... 

If the website is still up, perhaps someone purchased the company and continues with the manufacture...  (?)

Mike Filosa, CAS

Atlanta

Ok, Jim from blacboxvideo sent me an email reply saying he is truly retired, no one bought his company off him, but someone has taken on the mantle of repairs to existing items. No new ones, they supposedly had a one day sale for the stuff that was left. Everything has been picked up.

-vin

Vin, at least you are lucky enough to still be able to use that equipment for wireless video assist;  there should be plenty available used, after the transition from analog to all digital in the USA later (sooner!) this month. like blocks 28 and up, analog will no longer be legal!

Hmm!  Why do you think the build-quality is better than the Lectros?  As well, clients won't like the out-board antenna sticking them in the ribs!

I happen to think the build quality of Lectros to be great - I usually use my T2 and a half dozen R1s day to day....

but the Black"Boxes" (receivers) are also very solid pieces, albeit larger. You can definitely get inside the bud-box with ease and perhaps fix basic things in the field, something I would NEVER try with any piece of my Lectro IFB stuff.... or Comtek, for that matter... (I have about 15 different Comtek rcvrs (the good 'ol black ones), 2 BSTs and 3 of the smaller black transmitters - all for various purposes, timecode, etc... but mostly for those super-ridiculous commercials where everyone needs a Comtek to feel "complete"..... )

For my purpose, the antennas were NEVER a problem, as the "wearers" were fellow show techs or producers. 

Frankly, I thought them to be superior to depending on the headset cords for the antenna function.

The two-channel attribute was often most handy, due to the unique pieces we were cranking out.

Mike Filosa, CAS

Atlanta

Thanks for the all the feedback and thought about the units. It's a shame to hear that the company has stopped trading as the units looked quite good. Question for anyone in the UK-if I was to get some second hand a wanted to get them serviced then is there anyone that I could take them for a service? The only people that I can think of off the top of my head are Richmond Film Services.

Thanks,

Damien