Interesting Sound Devices Scorpio and 833 FAQ update

NathanWBS

Will the Scorpio or 833 work with the Sound Devices CL-12 Linear Fader Controller?

Although the CL-12 was originally designed for 6-Series field mixers and features an old protocol that is incompatible with the Scorpio’s or 833's open MCU, we are pleased to announce that we have achieved cross-compatibility. The Scorpio will support the CL-12, in addition to third party MCU controllers, in a future firmware update. Follow us on our social accounts or register your product to be updated when this firmware is available.

My setup requires more AES inputs than the 4 channels the Scorpio or 833 allows, how can I use more AES sources?

An accessory that will allow for up to 8 additional channels of AES (4 AES pairs) is in development. Stay tuned for future updates.

Will you make a dedicated control surface designed specifically for the new 833 and Scorpio?

Yes. We are currently developing a bespoke control surface to interface with the 833 and Scorpio. Follow us on our social accounts or register your product to be updated when this control surface is available.

You can visit the full FAQ pages at the following links:

Scorpio
https://www.sounddevices.com/scorpio-faq/

https://www.sounddevices.com/833-faq/

1 hour ago, NathanWBS said:

My setup requires more AES inputs than the 4 channels the Scorpio or 833 allows, how can I use more AES sources?

An accessory that will allow for up to 8 additional channels of AES (4 AES pairs) is in development. Stay tuned for future updates.

Glad to see this. Hope the accessory is fairly compact and reasonably priced. Noticed on the FAQ they mentioned that 32 bit float may be added later. The 833 is shaping up to be quite impressive.

18 minutes ago, Mobilemike said:

Interesting!

i wonder how the upcoming AES accessory will connect to the 833. Through one of the USB ports likely?

And I wonder if this means a Dante accessory could come in the future as well. 

-Mike

This might be the reason they have this "hidden" connector (at 5:20):

On 9/27/2019 at 11:13 AM, yophoto91 said:

Glad to see this. Hope the accessory is fairly compact and reasonably priced. Noticed on the FAQ they mentioned that 32 bit float may be added later. The 833 is shaping up to be quite impressive.

Can 32 bit float be added later without a hardware mod?  If so, that would be great.  If it means sending the unit in for a mod, that is ok too - though obviously not as convenient.

I'd really hope that the AES accessory (and the mythical "SL4" if/when that happens?) allows for additional channels to be recorded on top of the existing eight channels that the 833 can do. Leaving the current 8 inputs on the 833 still free to be used as well. 

Because the 833 has the same processing power as Scorpio itself (with both of them having 3x FPGAs), thus theoretically the 833 could even do 36 tracks as well?? Maybe. 

3 hours ago, IronFilm said:

I'd really hope that the AES accessory (and the mythical "SL4" if/when that happens?) allows for additional channels to be recorded on top of the existing eight channels that the 833 can do. Leaving the current 8 inputs on the 833 still free to be used as well. 

Because the 833 has the same processing power as Scorpio itself (with both of them having 3x FPGAs), thus theoretically the 833 could even do 36 tracks as well?? Maybe. 

Maybe, but then they risk cannibalizing Scorpio sales

Been using SD products since the boys left Shure and started the company. Have 788T and a pair of 552's as well as older SD mixers in my arsenal.

IMHO the Scorpio is an upgraded 688 and the 833 kicked itself in the teeth by not having more AES ins or DANTE.  They should have done a new 788 as the 

flagship recorder. The cluttered front panel and tiny screen of the Scorpio has me waiting for the next and proper evolution of the supreme 788.

37 minutes ago, Ontariosound said:

Been using SD products since the boys left Shure and started the company. Have 788T and a pair of 552's as well as older SD mixers in my arsenal.

IMHO the Scorpio is an upgraded 688 and the 833 kicked itself in the teeth by not having more AES ins or DANTE.  They should have done a new 788 as the 

flagship recorder. The cluttered front panel and tiny screen of the Scorpio has me waiting for the next and proper evolution of the supreme 788.

Don't agree.... sorry..

On 10/1/2019 at 2:22 PM, Ontariosound said:

IMHO the Scorpio is an upgraded 688 and the 833 kicked itself in the teeth by not having more AES ins or DANTE.

I'd agree Scorpio is a "688mk2", and that is only a good thing! And Scorpio is now SD's top flight recorder/mixer. The best they have, to compete against Cantar X3 / Deva 24

Yes, I wish the 833 had more AES inputs, but it wasn't a deal breaker for me and I purchased the 833 anyway. As I don't think there is a better small sized recorder on the planet for me personally than the 833. 

And hopefully this "AES accessory" (whatever that is...  SD hasn't told us any other details!) or the mythical "SL4" will answer all our concerns! If for instance a SL4 arrives at a reasonable price to give an additional 4 channels via Superslot, on top of the existing 10 (so none of the current 833 audio inputs get used up), then I will be over the moon!

On 10/1/2019 at 2:22 PM, Ontariosound said:

They should have done a new 788 as the flagship recorder. The cluttered front panel and tiny screen of the Scorpio has me waiting for the next and proper evolution of the supreme 788.

Does the screen size really matter that much once you're using it with a big tablet screen? Not really. 

I'd be shocked if there was a "788T mk2" released, the 688 (or 970) was that! And if they "were not", then Scorpio surely isn't. 

Rather than waiting for a "788T mk2" I'd suggest just picking the best match for your needs from what already currently exists on offer.