Lumix S1H

I just worked on a shoot with a prototype Panasonic Lumix S1H, which is their newest full-frame offering. It's designed primarily for video production use, competing with the Sony A7s series. It is designed to be timecode capable, but requires a special cable: BNC-F to a locking flash sync connector. Can't tell you how well it works, because the camera owner didn't have one( I think the idea of using the flash sync input is actually OK, as you will never be shooting video and using an external flash system at the same time). This was, of course, problematic for me, as it was a doc style shoot. I contemplated using my Tentacle sync unit (the camera has a 3.5 mm audio input), but chose to send guide track via Sony UWP-D, as post had not yet been lined up. I wish them well. The camera menus were fairly straight forward, but there are a hell of a lot of options (the online manual is 248 pages long). Getting sound into the camera was exactly the same as the GH4, GH5. I'm guessing the circuitry is identical to the GH series. I can't comment on the picture quality. Didn't have time to look. The camera will be out officially in the next few weeks. Using a prototype camera, or any type of gear, on a paying gig is brave, to say the least, but that's another story.

19 hours ago, chrisnewton said:

It is designed to be timecode capable, but requires a special cable: BNC-F to a locking flash sync connector. Can't tell you how well it works, because the camera owner didn't have one( I think the idea of using the flash sync input is actually OK, as you will never be shooting video and using an external flash system at the same time).

The camera op is at fault here, because every S1H should come with the cable??

At least this is the case with the Panasonic GH5S, which works in a similar way with timecode via the flash sync port. 

19 hours ago, chrisnewton said:

Using a prototype camera, or any type of gear, on a paying gig is brave, to say the least, but that's another story.

OHHHHH.... maybe that is why he didn't have the cable? Silly of them to not send out the cable with the prototype! Or maybe TC functionality wasn't ready yet with that prototype firmware version?

As far as I know on the GH camera models that have the same timecode feature the timecode sync isn't accurate. It's always a couple of frames off sync. I have no idea if they fixed that in the S1H, but honestly I wouldn't rely on that. Better to use the tentacle sync on one the left audio channel of the camera (with a splitter cable) and use the right channel as a mic input. Or going directly into the mic input of the camera (without splitter cable) using the tentacle mic as scratch mic. 

Greetings