Best two track recorder

Neumann RSM190

Does anyone have any suggestions as to which might be the best two tack recorder to buy. Must have 48v phantom XLR mic inputs. I have been using a Fostex FR 2 LE for a number of years now and it is getting a bit long in the tooth now. Like it's owner, at 82 and still going strong.

All suggestions will be much appreciated. Thank you.

Your question is much too general for a really good answer. 

Your use... your budget... what LE issues cause you to want a change... how you wish to handle post production... do you need time code... and any other details you can muster would be quite helpful in narrowing down the myriad of choices available -- most of which now handle more than just two tracks.

There are also many threads here that are well worth researching.

I'm going to agree with all the other comments about getting a MixPre3, yeah it is not technically a two track field recorder, but heh, close enough?

I think its modern latest design makes it an easy choice over other candidates such as 702/552/etc

Zoom F4 is worth a look as well, am a big fan of it personally. 

I keep a 702T in my kit specifically for ambiance, sfx, and maybe a bag drop in a car. You really can’t beat the exceptional quality and features of these machines, and you can get them dirt cheap used from Gotham at the moment. 

Hi Neumann, if it has to be portable I would wholeheartedly go for the Nagra IV-S !

If you wanted something more modern, still quite sexy (though a little less class), perhaps the Nagra 7.

Beyond that, it depends what you want it to do, what you want to spend and how big you are looking for ... although I have a possibly unfounded idea you want to connect it to an RSM 190 ??

Tascam for small, Zoom F4/8 series or Mixpre for medium (similar to original Fostex LE) budget, possibly secondhand SD 7 series if extra professional features are advantageous (word clock and digital IO). Or Sonosax, Nagra, etc up the scale ...

Not too certain of secondhand or import possibilities in Leeds however compared to US and elsewhere (though we are still, gasp, technically elsewhere until the end of the month ...). A Zoom F4 might be the better value, SD MP6 Series 2 a happy buy ... ?

Jez, writing from Durham, Europe