Cantar Mini bag

drpro

For the past few months I have been using my Cantar Mini.  I work bag and bag cart, so in my search for a Cantar Mini bag I found only three sources and none of them really did what I needed done in a bag.

So I built two versions, the second is shown below in the photos.  The first version shall never be seen in public.

All of the metal work and sewing I did, so please don't judge me!!

The Mini  is not like any other recorder/mixer shape.  So my design incorporates a frame much like the Aaton cheese plate offering.  I wanted something fairly compact and have some features that I don't believe any other bag has. 

By making it triangular I have created a space that now houses a permanent battery distribution system, battery cup for an Inspired Energy type battery, a USB power outlet and two attachment points for mounting two Lectrosonic dipole antennas.  For me battery and antennas on other bags are an afterthought.

The total weight of the bag with no battery, is 2kg and that includes the BDS, USB power and the battery cup.  So it's weight is on par with other bags.  Dimensions are 30.5 x 28 x 23cm.
Since this design has the Mini in a vertical position, a flat surface  means you would need to operate from a standing position.  On a bag type cart this is not a problem.  So for the times when you can sit at a table I added the folding design to allow you to operate and see the screen.  I have small rubber feet on the metal surfaces to protect whatever table you set up on.

The sloped surface makes it a bit easier for me to operate as I don't have all of the button positions memorized.  I am already thinking of changes in the third version.

Also shown is my minimalist take.  Two wireless channels and a boom.

CM1.jpg

CM2.jpg

CM3.jpg

CM4.jpg

CM5.jpg

CM6.jpg

CM7.jpg

CM8.jpg

CM9.jpg

CM10.jpg

CM11.jpg

Nice Ryan, I did see those bags.  What are your thoughts on the construction and support.  I am guessing there is some sort of internal framework.  Is there some internal storage for transmitters and other small bits.  

Lastly I see you are using five wireless and boom.   Oops added  PSC 6-pack.  Are you using any AES devices.  I am thinking about adding another SR with the AES outputs to bring wireless count up to 6 channels and still have two free mic channels for boom and ?? if needed.

• 2 weeks later...

The bags are very well made. The internal structure is similar to that of a porta brace bag. It doesn’t have a metal structure but the way the bag is designed it stays put rather well. I didn’t add a lot of internal storage. You can stash a battery underneath the PSC 6 pack. There are external pouches that can be moved around to 3 different positions that house my boom feed and Comtek. I have gotten rid of the power distro and the 6 pack now feeds directly off of the Cantar. So I don’t need external batteries anymore, I just use the 2 internal. I use the 4 pin XLR when on the cart which is the intended use anyway.

I have an analog to AES converter on the cart for the AES inputs. I plan on adding a Sony DWR-S03D when they come out later this year and that will feed the AES inputs directly. Currently when in the bag it’s just 6 analog inputs fed from the PSC 6 pack. I’ll probably add another PSC 6 pack with the Sony receivers feeding the AES in the future.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/2/2019 at 8:01 AM, drpro said:
The total weight of the bag with no battery, is 2kg and that includes the BDS, USB power and the battery cup.  So it's weight is on par with other bags.  Dimensions are 30.5 x 28 x 23cm.

2kg? Just for the bag?

Can't wait to see Rado's reaction if he ever reads this thread 😉 Oh to be a fly on the wall. 

But seriously now, I do love seeing these custom Cantar bags! Fascinating design choices for an oddly shaped recorder. However I hope you're not ever wearing them on your back all day long on a regular basis?? :-o 

On 10/16/2019 at 3:37 PM, ryanpeds said:

I have an analog to AES converter on the cart for the AES inputs. I plan on adding a Sony DWR-S03D when they come out later this year and that will feed the AES inputs directly. Currently when in the bag it’s just 6 analog inputs fed from the PSC 6 pack. I’ll probably add another PSC 6 pack with the Sony receivers feeding the AES in the future.

Interesting, why are you choosing Sony wireless over any of the other brands which offer AES outputs?

True, 2kg, however that does include a PSC BDS along with the battery cup, USB power and the cables. So buy most any bag and add those items and the weight is probably in the 2kg range or better.  The odd shape is really a problem.

Definitely not a Nova, that is a really nice little package. 

Most of my work is on a small bag cart with occasional needs to wear the Cantar.  I am too old for the run and gun shoots, regardless of how light the bag is!!  Two hip replacements add to needing a cart.

I have purchase a Hydra system to take advantage of the Cantar's ability to control all of the receiver functions, plus the ability to see the RF spectrum when scanning on that gorgeous bright screen.

So I am in the process of designing another bag for the new bits.  My sewing skills are not great, however I am going to try a fabric type bag which should be a bit lighter.  I have purchased some Dyneema fabric which is very light and actually stronger than steel.  I also have some RF blocking fabric and incorporate it into the bag, though I not sure it would make a difference. 

With the holidays here in the states soon upon us, hopefully I can find some time to work on it.

David

On 10/29/2019 at 6:44 PM, IronFilm said:

Interesting, why are you choosing Sony wireless over any of the other brands which offer AES outputs?

I demoed Audio Limited, Wisycom, and Sony. I already own Lectrosonics analog FM and don’t like the digital transmitter options that are currently available. I want to start going digital because our spectrum is disappearing so that removed the Wisycoms from the options. I had to many issues with the audio limited and I didn’t like the Bluetooth app. The Sony’s had amazing range, especially on fins and that’s how i’ll mostly be using them. I like the remote control that they have over zigbee and they now offer a unislot compatible receiver. I also like the plug on transmitters for my booms over a lav pack. They sounded great. And just to be clear these are the high end Sony systems, not any of the cheaper ones they offer. I don’t know how many i’ll implement for talent wireless yet. Just booms for now.

I should also mention that they are competitively priced with Lectro, Audio Limited, Wisycom 

• 1 month later...

Version 3 of my quest for a Cantar Mini bag.  This one weighs 2.4lbs/1.1kg.  The fabric is Dyneema.  Only weighs 5oz/145g per square yard.  The space between the operator and the back of the Mini will house three Hydra sockets for Lectro SR receivers.  Out of sight as the Cantar/Hydra controls each receiver.  Antenna distro is my own version of pieces cobbled together.  It has adjustable gain and a bandwidth covering A1 and B1.  Hopefully this will help with desense of the receivers from transmitters outside of that range.  If need be I have a couple of passband filters I can add.

More photos to come.

CM3v.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Anyone had new and innovative ideas for a relatively practical and comfortable bag for the Mini ?

About Protogear bags.. i find them really cool but they are mainly constructed with the receivers between the operator and the recorder. Considering bag-work and counting with all that awkward front surface with the headphone output, I feel that this arrangement makes it harder to manipulate the faders and see the display. 

And what do you guys think about the use of hydra making Mini's bags even more compact and almost turning the visualisation of the receivers unnecessary ?

Tales, that has been one of my issues with the Mini.  I liked the sloped surface bag I built which was version 2 for me.  I have been using my version 3 for a while and it is ok.  Been thinking about building another one, taking some of the ideas from the Aaton cheese plate design.  What you don't see in my version 3 bag is the Hydra system.  It is under the cover closest to the body.  Three receivers.  Two are in use, the third one I am waiting on the Melody preamp to allow the third receiver to work on the AES input.  Included is two RF preamps and a RF distribution system.

Once I have a Melody in hand I plan on seeing it I can reduce the size of the bag and lighten it some more.  The Hydra system I believe can be made smaller, which will help.  My RF system is cobbled together from various pieces.  My thoughts are to only use one side with RF bits and the other would just be the antenna on each wireless receiver.

David

• 4 months later...

So version four bag/holder has been up and running for a couple of months.  Still waiting on the Melody II preamp from Aaton, so that I can add the third SRc in the empty space.  I really like having the Mini on a slant.  The display is viewable in both vertical and horizontal positions.  Everything I need is inside of the wedge.  Antenna distro, TC, Hydra system, power distro using an eSmart type of battery.  

Space on the the two smaller vertical panels to add pouches to hold hop transmitters and a space to clip a Comtek transmitter.

Very thin birch plywood, laminated with carbon fiber, plus some aluminum for brackets.  The carbon fiber may offer some RF shielding against stray emissions from the Mini.  Total weight without gear installed is about 1kg (2.2lbs).  Cost of materials including the Aaton clips was around 350usd.  Labor well......

CantM1.jpg

CantM2.jpg

CantM3.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...