Cantar Mini bag

drpro

• 1 month later...

The Cantar Mini saga continues.  The Melody II preamp arrived last week from Gotham.  Finally figured out were to install it in my case wedge.  Here is a photo with the Mini side removed.

The Melody II allows me to have three SRc receivers connected and still have two mic preamps available.

The marks on the right Hydra socket are from one of our greyhounds sampling the package.  I suppose he thought it was a new chew toy.

Melody II.jpg

On 3/31/2021 at 9:49 PM, drpro said:

The Melody II allows me to have three SRc receivers connected and still have two mic preamps available.

It looks like all 3 SRCs operate within the Hydra system.

So with an SRC or other analog-out-only RX, the hydra is only there for remote control and does not provide AD conversion itsself?

No A to D conversion in the Hydra, it only offers mounting, power and control, Daniel.

I am using one of the Trew 3d printed battery cups, Neil.  It is bolted to the bottom of the wedge, just slide the battery and push.  Solid connection.  I haven't had a battery fall out.

John, my first three versions were bag type setups.  One version was an aluminum frame covered in cordura nylon fabric with pouches for the wireless and accessories.  The frame was wedge shaped with the battery and distro system in the bottom of the wedge.  A bit heavier than my current wedge bag.  I didn't like it as well since I had gear and wires hanging on the outside.  At that point I didn't have the Hydra system.

Most of my work is from a bag cart, so my current setup works well.

For transport, I made a Dyneema cover for weather and some protection.  I talked to both the owner of Versaflex and Portabrace about making a bag.  Due to the small numbers of Cantar Minis out there they weren't interested.  I have seen the Protogear bags and believe they would work for the Mini.  I have seen a number of owner made Mini bags on the internet.  My most basic setup is the Mini with a bracket on the side to hold small dual channel receiver.  A couple of Sony camera clips to attach to the lugs on the back and away you go.

I have attached that image and the wedge bag based on the aluminum frame.

Please do post photos of your design.

Thanks

David

CM1.jpg

CM8.jpg

Ah-- of course-- from the previous posts of this thread... should have just looked back a few months... :)  Here is the bigger question-- with a wedge type rig-- can you do a bag job actually using mini over the shoulder....  9 months into Cantar mini- and i am still wondering if using faders while using the recorder on the shoulder is a practical thing.   Don't get me wrong-- i love my mini- and am thankful i've made the switch.  

8 hours ago, johngooch said:

Ah-- of course-- from the previous posts of this thread... should have just looked back a few months... :)  Here is the bigger question-- with a wedge type rig-- can you do a bag job actually using mini over the shoulder....  9 months into Cantar mini- and i am still wondering if using faders while using the recorder on the shoulder is a practical thing.   Don't get me wrong-- i love my mini- and am thankful i've made the switch.  

I wouldn’t boom and use the Mini bag OTS, although I have done it. Much better deployed when you have a boom op and just need it OTS for portability. I’ve included 2 pics from a day I did on the Salt Flats. My bag is not wedge style but a flat Protogear bag.

453AF941-948C-452B-9593-FE9DB3A7B9CD.jpeg

19987E43-66EC-4ED4-8FC5-E02F35D4EDB4.jpeg

I think the only real way to use bag on shoulder is to "wedge up" the back-- so that you can see the top surface.  But no way to test it out without going thru effort of making a special rig..   So i will try---   The Bag i had made for the mini to be used with PSC sixpack is awesome but the mini is way to cumbersome in that mode to be used over the shoulder..   I am relying on my mini more and more- just looking for ways to maximize flexibility.  So off the workshop to tinker..   DRpro..  my greyhounds are not allowed there...   

Really nice John.  We have been adopting and fostering for about the same length of time.  They really are like potato chips.  We also had one Galgo along with eight hounds over the years.  Down to just two hounds at this time.  Berry and Jack.  Our last four greys have all been black ones.  

Berry Jack.jpg

• 7 months later...

Bag finished for now....     will probably regret not adding hydra- but that requires some more planning...

Makerbeam frame-- placed inside a Gator Pro-DJ CD bag- hacked.  Power and bistro done by Audio Wireless DAD226- so i can add more RF..

fairly Heavy-- but pretty balanced.  I would not do a long day or shoulder work with it- but for the quick pickup or car rig.. no problem... 

j

IMG_2489.jpg

IMG_2490.jpg

IMG_2491.jpg

Nice John.  The MakerBeam stuff is a neat idea.  I think when I looked at the 8020 10 series, just a basic one foot piece of the extruded material was close to a pound.  The MB at 10mm probably weighs 6-8oz per foot.  I would offer if you decide to add the Hydra or just change things look at the birch plywood laminated carbon fiber.  A 12x12x1/16" piece weighs about .43lbs.

I am curious what you are using to support and manipulate the SNA antennas?

David

Thnx David.   The antenna mounts were from Ebay.      The antenna mounts  ( happy accident) are used to attach bag to the makerbeam/1/4 plywood frame.   

We'll see how they hold up--  They were about 10$ each..   This whole bag has been an experiment- so i have tried to keep it 

on the inexpensive side.  If i find it is a manageable way to work with MINI-  then i will upgrade some of the components( lighten it up too) and make it ready for prime time.

j

https://www.ebay.com/itm/255125050645?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649
image.pngIMG_2544.jpg

Thank you John, for the additional info on the mounts.

I have built four different versions of a Mini bag.  Along the way, I bought a sewing machine, yards of fabric, fasteners, various aluminum pieces and many other items.  I get wanting to hold costs until you decide what works best for you.

David