Line Audio CM4 for location sound

Kubassound

• 5 months later...

Just wanted to say that a few days ago I bought a couple Line Audio CM4 mics. I first contacted Line Audio, and Roger there directed me to their Belgium-based dealer NoHype Audio. I had a good experience buying from NoHype.

https://www.nohypeaudio.com/lineaudioproducts.htm

J-P Gérard at NoHype and I exchanged a couple emails discussing how COVID-19 measures might affect shipping from Belgium to the west coast of the United States. In the end, I chose to go with DHL express, which cost 36 Euros, not cheap, but not terribly more expensive than the standard 18 Euro shipping charge. But here's the cool part: 

I ended up placing the order on Saturday afternoon (my time), March 21. J-P got the mics into shipping on Monday March 23. I just received the mics now, Friday March 27 around 3pm my time. So Belgium to the west coast of the US in just a few days. Nice.

I'll fire up the mics this weekend and see what I think...

Sure, stock and shipping times may change in the coming days as COVID-19 affects supply chains and shipping everywhere. But regardless, I'm really happy with the service from NoHype.

1 hour ago, Jim Feeley said:

Just wanted to say that a few days ago I bought a couple Line Audio CM4 mics. I first contacted Line Audio, and Roger there directed me to their Belgium-based dealer NoHype Audio. I had a good experience buying from NoHype.

https://www.nohypeaudio.com/lineaudioproducts.htm

J-P Gérard at NoHype and I exchanged a couple emails discussing how COVID-19 measures might affect shipping from Belgium to the west coast of the United States. In the end, I chose to go with DHL express, which cost 36 Euros, not cheap, but not terribly more expensive than the standard 18 Euro shipping charge. But here's the cool part: 

I ended up placing the order on Saturday afternoon (my time), March 21. J-P got the mics into shipping on Monday March 23. I just received the mics now, Friday March 27 around 3pm my time. So Belgium to the west coast of the US in just a few days. Nice.

I'll fire up the mics this weekend and see what I think...

Sure, stock and shipping times may change in the coming days as COVID-19 affects supply chains and shipping everywhere. But regardless, I'm really happy with the service from NoHype.

I’d love to know what you think. I saw these in Tom Williams kit in the URSA straps video and have wondered about them. Can’t beat the price!

I'm expecting to be impressed by the bang/buck ratio. But I'm also impressed by the responsiveness of the company and dealer....

With COVID-19 and everything... might be a while before I know how these sound with an ensemble in front of them. Also, recording music ain't my bag. My opinion will matter less than that of someone who records a lot of music.  

Love them. I use the cm3 always for ambiance mics, crowd mics and pretty much anything. Especially for fx or music, they're awesome. I’ve put a pair in a zeppelin in kinda ortf config. Great quick setup. Kind of uncharacteristic, which is a good thing obviously

haven’t used them for voice though, but I think it wouldn’t sound great. Not bad but not great either.. 

Jim...any first impressions yet? (I have a pair in the mail now)

Thanks...Ric

On 3/27/2020 at 5:16 PM, Jim Feeley said:

I'm expecting to be impressed by the bang/buck ratio. But I'm also impressed by the responsiveness of the company and dealer....

With COVID-19 and everything... might be a while before I know how these sound with an ensemble in front of them. Also, recording music ain't my bag. My opinion will matter less than that of someone who records a lot of music.  

27 minutes ago, ricphoto said:

Jim...any first impressions yet? (I have a pair in the mail now)

Thanks...Ric

With our COVID-19 shelter-in-place situation, I'm getting out much these days, Ric. 🙂 😞 But somehow still super busy. Played around with them a touch, but not enough to have any useful thoughts beyond "pretty small...seem pretty nice." 

Thanks...looking forward to seeing/hearing what you think when you get a chance...

BTW: want to echo your experience with NoHype and JPG...almost immediate, friendly yet professional responses to emails and a tracking # really quickly after pushing the pay button...seems like any after sales questions will be handled well.

Shutdown has really hurt my wallet as I have more time to indulge my G.A.S. 😜

• 9 months later...

I may have missed this information but wanted to remind that CM4s are cardioid mics.  It might be possible to use these where you might have used a Schoeps Mk4.  But the perceived "reach" of these will need them to be played very close to the actor.  FWIW.

They do get a lot of love on Gearslutz as music mics.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/all-things-technical/1268518-cm4-here-lets-start-thread-let-cm3-go.html

D.