Shock mount or Suspension

backfocus

Cinela obviously (I am french 😉 )

Seriously, the guys behind it are so passionate about what they do it is sometimes embarrassing. I have seem the main engineer run back to his workshop from the renting gear company premises near by to make final changes on a prototype for a special rent.

They constantly improve their product following our discussions and feedback.

Same as above, no way I can use any other suspension than the Osix 2 for indoor boom anymore.

I'd add that the Osix have a longer lifetime than their Piano series (outdoor windjammer) that are mindblowingly efficient but tend to be fragile.

Cinela is probably the best solution around, but for people like me that are no full time professional sound guys and on a budget it's hard to justify the investment. Using an MHK 8060 and spending more than the cost of the mic for the Windshield/Suspension (with accessoires) makes you thinking about the benefits of the Cinela and the downsides of a cheaper solution. So I decided to go with a Rycote System and it works fine for me. I know that there are better mics and windshields around, but I also know that my work has a much higher influence on the result than any brands product :) 

Greetings

On 10/3/2019 at 6:37 AM, John Blankenship said:

Cinela. 

I own, and have used, many other mounts -- probably most of the types available.  

NOTE:  You'll think Cinela overpriced until you use one. 

As usual, JB is correct.

Not that I ever had issues with my rycote mounts but the cinela range seem to clean up the low end resonance in my experience.

Put it this way, I record a lot of SFX/ambiences and find the cinela mounts require less low frequency filtering. In the past I'd often end up high passing in post around 120hz, now it's down around 20hz and over all it sounds 'cleaner' in the low freqs. Yep totally subjective but that's my experience with the (old/new) Rycote mounts Vs Cinela. 

I'm not dissing Rycote as I used them for 25 years and was very happy, but for me now the Cinela range ticks all the boxes.

Grant.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for the info guys.  I bought the Rycote Invison, since I needed something in stock and available for a shoot all last week.  The Rycote Invison worked fine and will be a good backup in the future.  However the screws kept coming loose on the mounts so I will have the put some Loctite on those.  So I plan on getting a Cinela in the next few days and see how I like it.

3 hours ago, backfocus said:

Thank you for the info guys.  I bought the Rycote Invison, since I needed something in stock and available for a shoot all last week.  The Rycote Invison worked fine and will be a good backup in the future.  However the screws kept coming loose on the mounts so I will have the put some Loctite on those.  So I plan on getting a Cinela in the next few days and see how I like it.

Never had the screws come loose on my Rycotes when I had them. The ones securing the lyres?

12 hours ago, Jim Feeley said:

I haven't had my InVision mounts come loose, but your Locktite fix sounds like a good fix. If they come loose again, contact Rycote and ask what's up; they'll probably provide good help.

Clear nail polish will do the trick too.