frame rate for 720/60

I have a shoot on Friday that will be using a Panasonic camera (some flavor of eng style rig)  I'm finding that the person I'm able to speak doesn't know much technically.  Info is hard to come by i.e.:  exactly what model the camera is.  As for frame rate they told me 720/60.  This is for US television so I'm thinking the 60 is actually 59.94.  

So if I want to jam the camera is it possible?  Would I use 29.97 on my Nomad?  Drop or non drop?  I'll have more info on the day of, but this is a traveling group and it takes forever for them to get back to me.

Thanks!

• 1 month later...
On 10/3/2019 at 4:24 PM, TVPostSound said:

29.97 Drop frame for EVERYTHING 

Unless it will be a commercial under 2 minute, then 29.97 NON DROP FRAME.

Could you elaborate on this?  It sounds like you're saying that the .03 difference would be negligible?

37 minutes ago, Decay said:

Could you elaborate on this?  It sounds like you're saying that the .03 difference would be negligible?

I'm curious how you got that number. My guess is you may be thinking about frames rather than percentages.

The difference between drop and non-drop should be a tenth of one percent (.001). 

On 11/12/2019 at 11:31 AM, Decay said:

It is!!

DF, was for timing accuracy in longer shows. No one cared about doing DF for a commercial.

Was told that over 30 years ago.

23.98 shows are still timed with a DF ruler today!! They are shot edited, and broadcast 23.98 but measured with 29.97DF

Thats a fact I witness daily.

4 hours ago, TVPostSound said:

DF, was for timing accuracy in longer shows. No one cared about doing DF for a commercial.

Was told that over 30 years ago.

This is not the reason, and especially for US TV where there TONS of commercials, math on entire bloks is done in Drop to stay in sync with the Time on the Wall.
(Or shows would start at the wrong time...)
Reason: Since DF skips two frames every two whole minutes, there is NO difference between Drop and NonDrop if you start at a round even minute.
(Except the colon / semi colon notation.) Only after two minutes the two start to drift apart.

6 hours ago, Bouke said:

This is not the reason, and especially for US TV where there TONS of commercials, math on entire bloks is done in Drop to stay in sync with the Time on the Wall.
(Or shows would start at the wrong time...)
Reason: Since DF skips two frames every two whole minutes, there is NO difference between Drop and NonDrop if you start at a round even minute.
(Except the colon / semi colon notation.) Only after two minutes the two start to drift apart.

SMPTE Drop Frame skips the frame count by two frames every full minute except for the tenth minute.

For example:  01:08:59:28, 01:08:59:29, 01:09:00:02, 01:09:00:03

Tenth minute:  01:09:59:28, 01:09:59:29, 01:10:00:00, 01:10:00:01

• 9 months later...